Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2015, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't know the Christopher Lee series was included. I have seen some of those on YouTube and they are awesome.
As B_E says. One of the best dvd box sets i own.

Every story is so watchable.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As B_E says. One of the best dvd box sets i own.

Every story is so watchable.
Would £24.99 be considered a good price? That's what I thought when I found it on eBay for that amount.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

'Bad Santa' is essential and gets a viewing every year. I am also planning to watch the remake of 'Silent Night Deadly Night' over the next couple of weeks after picking it up in Poundland a while back.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Would £24.99 be considered a good price? That's what I thought when I found it on eBay for that amount.
It's £22 in Fopp if you're anywhere near one of them...
Old 5th December 2015, 09:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
It's £22 in Fopp if you're anywhere near one of them...
Sadly not – the nearest is Manchester, which is approximately a two-hour drive away.
Old 5th December 2015, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Because I have a presentation to do at university later this month and three assignments to submit at the beginning of January, I won't have time to write any lengthy reviews, but will try and contribute with brief posts (poster, title and couple of sentences) about the films I watch.
I'm in a similar boat this month with work to be done before Christmas break and then assignments due almost immediately when term starts later. I'm not as confident with this module as I have in the past, Java Programming - I think I may be too old to learn a new language

I have a few Christmas themed movies to watch though - Looking forward to talking about them later.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th December 2015, 01:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes that's not bad at all.

Zavvi via Amazon marketplace are doing it for a couple of pounds less even with the usual £1.26 postage.

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Ghost Stories for Christmas (Expanded 6-Disc Collection Box Set) [DVD]
Old 5th December 2015, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Number 13 Ghost Stories for Christmas

'Number 13' 2006
Directed by Pier Wilkie and continuing the series A Ghost Story for Christmas, Number 13 tells the story of a scholarly academic from Oxbridge called Professor Anderson played by Greg Wise. The BBc production values on anything nowadays is pretty damn good especially when it comes to period piece melodrama, if anybody can recreate an Edwardian or Victorian setting then the BBC are the go to people. Where as the original stories have that added quality of age and time to make them seem even more spooky than they did when they were first aired , the newer adaptations are having to rely on the directors skill in giving us the Goosebumps..Set mostly in the hotel Anderson is staying in, he insists on a room with a writing desk and a view, eventually after being shown several rooms by the landlord Gunton (David Burke) ,he finally settles for room no 12.The story of either an educated or a religious man coming face to face with the supernatural and having his beliefs either shattered or held up to scrutiny is something that occurs occasionally in M.R.James stories, it gives the viewer or reader someone to identify with,what would we do if faced with the similar dilemma. Anderson continues his research under the beady eye of Mr. Harrington, Cathedral Archivist played by the wonderful Paul Freeman,Anderson discovers some passages written about Bishop Walgrave a disgraced clergy in the 1660's and his association with a man called Nicholas Francken. But what is the banging and noises that keep Anderson awake at night, and who is room no 13?. Greg Wise is very good as the stiff upper lipped but very pompous academic, his snobbishness and aloofness to his fellow guests make him an unlikely hero for this tale of the supernatural.But by the end of the tale you find yourself feeling sorry for Anderson especially towards the end where he ends befriending his nemesis in the hotel a young salesman's Edward Jenkins played by Tom Burke,as they both confront what might be hiding in Number 13. Wilkie manages to cionvey a great sense of history within the story itself, the story of Walgrave and Francken make for a great back story as to what might of happened, its never explicit but just implies that they indulged in witchcraft and devil worship. A very worth while entry in the ghost story series, by the way can a lady suckle a rat on her teet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrjames10big.jpg (25.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg viewhill4big.jpg (59.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 5th December 2015, 02:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great stuff again Inspector.

You're on a real roll now.
Old 5th December 2015, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Are you going to be reviewing Stigma and The Ice House as well?

Like this? Share it using the links below!