Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2012, 07:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Black Panther ( 1977 ) from BFI:

Play.com - Buy The Black Panther: Dual Format Edition (With DVD) (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!
Old 16th February 2012, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Also: Peter Greenaway's Belly of an Architect due from BFI in June.
Old 16th February 2012, 07:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Also: Peter Greenaway's Belly of an Architect due from BFI in June.
Hopefully they'll get round to The Draughtsman's Contract soon.
Old 16th February 2012, 07:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Hopefully they'll get round to The Draughtsman's Contract soon.
More Greenaway on BD can't come soon enough for me.

I hope Studio Canal release The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover soon... Also The Baby of Macon would be great; there's a Finnish (?) BD I think, but I can't really justify the extra expense importing.
Old 16th February 2012, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

I hope Studio Canal release The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover soon... Also The Baby of Macon would be great; there's a Finnish (?) BD I think, but I can't really justify the extra expense importing.
Of all places, there is actually a Mexican BD of Cook, haha. No idea what it's like though.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Of all places, there is actually a Mexican BD of Cook, haha. No idea what it's like though.
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

...However, the real shocker here is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover debuting on Blu-Ray from none other than Mexico from Zima, with an MGM logo on the book offering some clue about the original source. It is indeed a new 1080p transfer, and it should go without saying that this is substantially better than anything standard def could offer. Colors are vibrant, detail is significantly increased (you can now read even the tiniest words on the menu interstitials used as act markings), and it's completely uncut. The color schemes are very close to the Anchor Bay version though with more intensity in the reds during the larger mobile tableaux shots, and the framing is nearly identical with just a tiny sliver of additional information on all four sides of the Blu-Ray; it's so minor though you'd have to stare to really notice. The good news and bad news is that there hasn't been any sort of digital manipulation or clean-up done here; the darker scenes have some inherent softness at times (especially the intentionally murky and oppressive opening credits) and this film never exactly dazzlingly crisp, but the grain levels look about the same as it did theatrically. On the other hand, there's a significant amount of debris visible (as there was on the DVD version, but it was much softer so you could barely tell); the first two reels in particular have a large number of black flecks at times that will drive some digital purists crazy. It's not a huge problem except in the first scene in the ladies' bathroom, where the austere white color schemes show off every little flaw in glaring detail. Luckily the debris dissipates to almost nothing after the first reel and a half or so at least. This is still by far the best viewing option for the film in any format to date, obviously, but people watching their budgets may also want to hope and pray that a worthy American or British edition comes along someday from a company that really does want to mount a full scale restoration.

Old 17th February 2012, 12:09 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Think I'll give the UK Universal 100th Anniversary steelbooks a miss. Hate the landscape artwork.

More detailed pics and back art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg werewolf03.jpg (39.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg werewolf02.jpg (39.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg werewolfback.jpg (32.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th February 2012, 10:20 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Greenaway made some extremely strange films, so it would be brilliant if the BFI would put some time and effort into releasing the likes of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, The Baby of Macon and The Draughtsman's Contract (which I only know of by reputation) with new HD encodings and special features.
Old 17th February 2012, 10:23 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Looks like Play will be releasing a steelbook of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. No Date yet.

nekromantik likes this.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I might have to pass on the steely if the boxset includes new transfers of the first 3.
Kinda annoying the boxset release before GP was out still included the older transfers when the German and Japanese sets had new transfers.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!