Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2012, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Oh my Play.com - Buy online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Old 29th October 2012, 04:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I want one – I really want one!
Old 7th November 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Berberian Sound Studio

Not due until December 31st but I'm already looking forward to it. Peter Strickland's debut film Katalin Varga was one of the best films of 2009 (and features an excellent Nurse With Wound soundtrack)

It's 1976 and timid, Dorking-based sound engineer, Gilderoy, has been transplanted to Italy's run-down Berberian Sound Studio to work on The Equestrian Vortex, the latest low-budget horror movie by notorious exploitation maestro Giancarlo Santini. Gilderoy's task is a seemingly simple one: to create, record and mix the sounds of bloodcurdling screams, limbs being severed and the insertion of red hot pokers into human orifices, mostly using a variety of everyday household items such as old vegetables and a hammer. But Gilderoy is totally unprepared for the graphically grotesque images on show, the effect they have on him and for the unusual working practices of his employers. As he becomes more deeply involved in his work, the line between fantasy and reality becomes blurred and, very subtly, Gilderoy's life begins to imitate art in a nightmare scenario from which he may never escape...

Old 7th November 2012, 06:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Berberian Sound Studio

I saw this at the cinema and am still unsure what to make of it so am looking forward to its release to give it a second viewing.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I could have gone to see a screening of this, but dismissed it without research assuming it was a documentary along the lines of Buena Vista Social Club. Boy do I feel like a nob!
Wes likes this.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I saw this at the cinema and am still unsure what to make of it so am looking forward to its release to give it a second viewing.
I'm still waiting for it to appear at a cinema near me, but review discs are apparently available mid-November, so I'll wait until then.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:37 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Probably most people couldn't care less, but I had no idea that Friends is out on BD here on monday. I'm very, very tempted!

The ratings logos are actually on a card around the case. None on the spine either!

http://youtu.be/LXTfMpShL3M
Rik likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I could have gone to see a screening of this, but dismissed it without research assuming it was a documentary along the lines of Buena Vista Social Club. Boy do I feel like a nob!
It happens... I skipped out of a screening of Glengarry Glenross back in the 90's because I didn't think a Robert Redford movie about fishing would be all that good...
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:16 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Probably most people couldn't care less, but I had no idea that Friends is out on BD here on monday. I'm very, very tempted!

The ratings logos are actually on a card around the case. None on the spine either!

http://youtu.be/LXTfMpShL3M
I could live my life quite happily if I never saw an episode of Friends again. Well, I enjoyed the first two seasons but after that the characters became so irritating and caricatures of themselves I just couldn't bear it. Give me Seinfeld any day.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I could live my life quite happily if I never saw an episode of Friends again. Well, I enjoyed the first two seasons but after that the characters became so irritating and caricatures of themselves I just couldn't bear it. Give me Seinfeld any day.
I watched one or two - but I'm not really big on American comedy - it's too dumb and stupid and I can't relate to it at all. And they only ever show the upbeat side of American life. I prefer US drama to be honest, when it comes to US TV.

At least some UK comedy does also tend to highlight the problems within our society and not just gloss over it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!