Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Upcoming Non-UK Blu-ray Releases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Sadly they choose quantity over quality. Wait for reviews before ordering

That's actually a tame response there. I've seen at least one person (not naming names), who sees it as a personal mission to "destroy" Cliff because a few of Shout/Scream's discs haven't been the greatest. The majority of them are though. You can say the same about a few Arrow discs as well. You can't please everyone though. Some will be happy with the quality of some discs, some won't.
Old 30th May 2014, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Sadly they choose quantity over quality. Wait for reviews before ordering
Personally I am happy with all my SF discs,admittedly I still have 6 to get to close the gap in the collection (which possibly may be ones you refer to) but I find the PQ/audio to be fantastic,if you're refering to extras then I take your point THE NEST for example has none. All the same I am happy.
Old 30th May 2014, 08:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
That's actually a tame response there. I've seen at least one person (not naming names), who sees it as a personal mission to "destroy" Cliff because a few of Shout/Scream's discs haven't been the greatest. The majority of them are though. You can say the same about a few Arrow discs as well. You can't please everyone though. Some will bw happy with the quality of some discs, some won't.
Indeed agreed fully. Well worded.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Scream Factory have annouced via an interview, that they'll be releasing a Tales From The Crypt/Vault Of Horror (uncut) double feature blu-ray. Oh yeaaaaaaah!

VERY good news! So long as SF use a new print of vault of horror than the old one which was optically censored.
Old 31st May 2014, 05:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
That's actually a tame response there. I've seen at least one person (not naming names), who sees it as a personal mission to "destroy" Cliff because a few of Shout/Scream's discs haven't been the greatest. The majority of them are though. You can say the same about a few Arrow discs as well. You can't please everyone though. Some will be happy with the quality of some discs, some won't.

Surely it's not the goal of my life to destroy Cliff and Scream Factory. On the contrary, I will support them as much as I can. The more they and every other cult/horror labels release good horror movies on blu the happier I am. But I won't spend my money on turds they release every now and then with the lame excuse we were given this transfer/master by the studio or it was approved by the director himself. Let's see what releases I am talking about.

1. Phantasm 2 - Terrible release of a great movie, not better than the UK DVD - Phantasm II | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. DVD: UK

2. They Live! - They Live | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. Blu-ray: IT

3. Ravenous - this one is really bad - Ravenous | Blu-ray: US vs. DVD: DE

4. Cat People - another wax museum - Cat People | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. HD DVD: US

5. Nosferatu - Nosferatu the Vampyre | Blu-ray: US German Version vs. Blu-ray: DE

6. The epic fiasco with the Bruce Lee Box Set.

Of course they have a lot of strong releases which I can't deny. I just want them to change like Arrow did.My point is people should complian and don't buy something like Phantasm 2 or Ravenous instead of praising SF. Maybe then Cliff and co will start to think twice before releasing a botched release and say this is what we got from the licensor.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 31st May 2014, 06:12 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Surely it's not the goal of my life to destroy Cliff and Scream Factory. On the contrary, I will support them as much as I can. The more they and every other cult/horror labels release good horror movies on blu the happier I am. But I won't spend my money on turds they release every now and then with the lame excuse we were given this transfer/master by the studio or it was approved by the director himself. Let's see what releases I am talking about.

1. Phantasm 2 - Terrible release of a great movie, not better than the UK DVD - Phantasm II | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. DVD: UK

2. They Live! - They Live | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. Blu-ray: IT

3. Ravenous - this one is really bad - Ravenous | Blu-ray: US vs. DVD: DE

4. Cat People - another wax museum - Cat People | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. HD DVD: US

5. Nosferatu - Nosferatu the Vampyre | Blu-ray: US German Version vs. Blu-ray: DE

6. The epic fiasco with the Bruce Lee Box Set.

Of course they have a lot of strong releases which I can't deny. I just want them to change like Arrow did.My point is people should complian and don't buy something like Phantasm 2 or Ravenous instead of praising SF. Maybe then Cliff and co will start to think twice before releasing a botched release and say this is what we got from the licensor.
I actually quite like their Phantasm and they live discs.
Old 31st May 2014, 06:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I actually quite like their Phantasm and they live discs.
Look at this

Phantasm II | Blu-ray: US Collector's Edition vs. DVD: UK
Old 31st May 2014, 07:32 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Tbh, I didn't really have a problem with Phantasm II or They Live either. I compare all discs now to Arrow's original Tenebrae blu-ray. If it looks better than that, I'm happy.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:19 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm very sceptical in regards to screen cap comparisons as they aren't always representative of what the film looks in motion. If I don't own the disc myself or have viewed it on my personal equipment with my own eyes then I can't really comment on a transfer - I'd feel ill informed doing so.

Everyone has their own standards of what is 'acceptable' quality, but I do get the impression that a lot of Blu-ray fans are overly critical of presentations. I think it comes with a lot of these companies now putting themselves out there for all the world to see (and criticise), combined with higher expectations of the technology we have now in respect to picture quality. It's easy to forget that without these smaller niche labels releasing films like these, we probably wouldn't have them available at all - that's not to say we have to accept a shoddy transfer and like it, but sometimes the budgets and source materials just aren't there for these companies to go the extra mile in producing what some fans consider a fantastic master.

Having said all this, I don't own any the above SF titles so can't comment! However, the ones I do have look good to me. I do generally prefer waiting on SF titles though to see if Arrow or certain other UK labels get them instead as I just prefer the overall package to SF's and generally speaking know that Arrow will usually do a better job.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:20 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Tbh, I didn't really have a problem with Phantasm II or They Live either. I compare all discs now to Arrow's original Tenebrae blu-ray. If it looks better than that, I'm happy.
Most Vipco DVD transfers looked better than that!

Like this? Share it using the links below!