Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Wild at Heart.
Its another WTF type Lynch movie but I did not find it as good as Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:43 AM
Active Cultist

Just watched the second of my Xmas Flipsides - Voice Over. Heavy going this one, a definite fug of early eighties pretension - I could imagine stumbling on this on Channel 4 back when it had some sort of artistic remit. It's one of those films thats easier to respect than enjoy. My main problem was that I just didn't warm to the main character - a sad sack DJ who self destructs his career. Ian McNeice is fine in the role but he's such a self pitying bore that I was indifferent to his fate. This is not a visual pleasure - BFI do their best with a battered old print, but even if pristine this would look drab and murky.
Can't envision watching this again - a bummer, hopefully something surfaces on the extras.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

Watched CASTING THE RUNES last night. Picked it up from british heart foundation for £2.99.

Pretty good but not great. It was previously done much more effectively in 1957 as night of the demon directed by jacques tournier. The ending of this 70's telly version is rather flat and not at all creepy, other than that its still definately worth checking out.

What made the disc for me was the extra 20 minute short of an m.r james story made for schools and a great little documentary on the author.
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Watched CASTING THE RUNES last night. Picked it up from british heart foundation for £2.99.

Pretty good but not great. It was previously done much more effectively in 1957 as night of the demon directed by jacques tournier. The ending of this 70's telly version is rather flat and not at all creepy, other than that its still definately worth checking out.

What made the disc for me was the extra 20 minute short of an m.r james story made for schools and a great little documentary on the author.
The M.R James short was better than the Runes adaption which I found hugely disappointing.The ending was very poor.
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent post, Daemonia. I won't go through and comment on every film you've seen recently, but I rented Tucker and Dale vs Evil and liked it so much I've recently bought it and it's on my list of unwatched discs.

Like Paul said, I also really like Is Anybody There? - Bill Milner is certainly a talent to watch and I remember reading something where Michael Caine had said he hadn't been so impressed by a child actor in decades, perhaps ever.
Old 22nd January 2012, 03:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
The M.R James short was better than the Runes adaption which I found hugely disappointing.The ending was very poor.
I suspect its the 40 minute running time, and the low budget. It set things up well and ended unremarkably.
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Watched The Boogeyman last night. Solid and suspenseful. Definitely enjoyed this ex-video nasty!
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched The Losers last night with my brother as he want's to watch more films and on a second viewing it is a rather silly film, Great fun though and much more enjoyable than the A-Team movie...
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched The Losers last night with my brother as he want's to watch more films and on a second viewing it is a rather silly film, Great fun though and much more enjoyable than the A-Team movie...
Summed up perfectly.
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I tried to watch Cat Run but its quite bad and silly.
I only lasted 30 mins, such a waste as it could have been fun.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!