Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Linbro 3rd November 2020 12:20 PM

'Underwater'.
I thought 'just go with it, enjoy it for what it is'...but, I couldn't. The type of film that really pisses me off - decent budget, some really good actors, but a terrible plot, that 'borrows' from all the usual suspects. Just lazy, seen it all before, crap.
1/5.

Inspector Abberline 3rd November 2020 12:35 PM

Hell..

The Legend Of Hell House..(1973).
Well I had every intention of watching the Blu Ray of Ghostbusters ( who you gonna call?Ray Parker Jnr must be rolling around on a bed of money since that got released...blimey I was still at school when that came out cripes), any who I got side tracked forgot what I was going to watch and ended up watching something very similar to Ghostbusters,but with added ectoplasm...I'll start by saying while I do love Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963),especially Robert Johnson's stiff upper lipped Dr Markway and Russ Tamblyns cool hip cat,I have always much preferred John Hough's The Legend of Hell House a lot more...I think this has a lot to do with Roddy McDowell's geeky looking Ben Fischer character, and his milk bottle glasses... and while Clive Refill is no Richard Johnson,he does have a bloody great machine that can suck the ghostly energy out of the Belasco House (so not that different to Ghostbusters after all)...And let's not forget Pamela Franklin as the highly strung cat hating spiritualist...Of course compared to today's unstoppable tide of ghost movie's its all fairly tame stuff,but its quirky and has that feeling of impending doom (we're doomed) and has a fairly unsettling conclusion as Belasco is finally revealed at the end,although it does remind me of the Wizard of Oz reveal...

MrBarlow 3rd November 2020 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House of Mystery. 1934.

A ancient curse is put onto a man who was adventurer who killed a monkey and seems tormented by a killer ape in a old house.

One of the old dark house movies that at 60 odd minutes didnt peak my expectations but kept me interested to a degree and kept me quiet :lol:. The film didn't drag on as the acting was entertaining with some little comedic moments, it's always a laugh to see a old house with some sort of weird killer on the loose and the build up to the finale that we know what will happen half way through.

Attachment 229166

trebor8273 3rd November 2020 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNf9gCzJrbw

A movie that flopped big time and nearly killed Dan Aykroyds career.

He he plays a uptight and repressed literary professor, who ends up protecting four hookers because of some weird sense of chivalry, from the evil mom , so he takes on the alter ego of Doctor Detroit a partial robotic ,superfly pimp.

Aykroyds performance of the doctor has to be seen to be believed. There are plot holes the size of a truck , it gets more and more silly as the film goes on, but it was a lot of fun. 6.5/10

Up tonight.

tukantokin 3rd November 2020 07:43 PM

Monty Python

I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail recently. It was a pleasing watch and it definitely had me cracking up!

Nostalgic 3rd November 2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 639395)
'Underwater'.
I thought 'just go with it, enjoy it for what it is'...but, I couldn't. The type of film that really pisses me off - decent budget, some really good actors, but a terrible plot, that 'borrows' from all the usual suspects. Just lazy, seen it all before, crap.
1/5.

Completely agree! Watched with the wife & we were just confused. Nothing is explained, just straight into the "story", and then it felt as if it was missing a load of scenes which link the plot.
Was also hoping for some Cthulhu-type monsters but they did the whole "murky" thing & neglected to show anything properly.

Avoid!

gag 3rd November 2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tukantokin (Post 639439)
I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail recently. It was a pleasing watch and it definitely had me cracking up!

Love this film and life of Brian never fail to make me chuckle.
Rank high up there amongst greatest comedies of all time.

MrBarlow 4th November 2020 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fist of Honor. 1993.

A debt collector and boxer gets caught up in a feud between two rival mafia families and tries to find out who set him up.

This isn't a blockbuster success, even having Flash Gordon in the tile lead who is a street brawler boxer and heavy man who when challenged...he fights, them fighting words. Abe Vigoda and Harry Guardino play the heads of the families in truce until one breaks the truce and wants everything. It does have the typical American accent trying to do part Italian hard men. The plot does go a bit weak along the way and then gets a bit better but the fight scenes do make up for it in some ways.

Attachment 229195

Justin101 4th November 2020 09:06 PM

Johnny Guitar (1954)

https://www.classicmoviefavorites.co...02-538x400.jpg

What a film!
Honestly, it's so good. First of all, it looks amazing, glorious colours, great sets & Joan Crawford! Secondly, some of those scenes were so tense. It's perfectly directed and acted. The first and final acts had me on the edge of my seat. I loved this.

MrBarlow 4th November 2020 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunting. 1999.

A study in insomnia becomes a study of fear when a professor asks people to join him in a reclusive mansion that may be haunted.

Aside from having a good star cast from Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Lili Tyler and Owen Wilson, this film has no hold over the original, the original was more darker and suspenseful that toyed with the brain as was the house actually haunted where this is a haunted house with a daft twist at the end. Only reason I watched it is because Angie loves this better than the original and because I put her through some movies during Octoberfest. Will give the premium BD release some good credit though, the picture quality is better and more colourful and the sound is way better, it does have a eerie gothic type background score.

Attachment 229208

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th November 2020 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)

Listening to Satyricon's Fuel For Hatred at full blast driving along the motorway today was a hell of a lot more fun than this Fast and Furious parody could ever be.

Demoncrat 5th November 2020 06:40 PM

I loved it personally ...

Milk Money (1994, Richard Benjamin)

Hollywood. They have some funny ideas, mainly cocaine based I've found. Like this one ....
Melanie Griffith is a prozzie. Some high schoolers "adopt" her :laugh:
McDowell is her Cockernee pimp. :pound:
Ed Harris is the parent of one the kids.
Utter mush. But I laughed. At points.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th November 2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 639570)
I loved it personally ...

Milk Money (1994, Richard Benjamin)

Hollywood. They have some funny ideas, mainly cocaine based I've found. Like this one ....
Melanie Griffith is a prozzie. Some high schoolers "adopt" her :laugh:
McDowell is her Cockernee pimp. :pound:
Ed Harris is the parent of one the kids.
Utter mush. But I laughed. At points.

I'd prefer to watch Mel in Milk Money any day over Hobbs and Shaw.

Not sure how they messed it up so badly because i love them in the main franchise.

MrBarlow 5th November 2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 639583)
I'd prefer to watch Mel in Milk Money any day over Hobbs and Shaw.

Not sure how they messed it up so badly because i love them in the main franchise.

Think it had to do with Mr Johnson going off on his own and not having proper backing from Vin Diesel and having a way too much creative control

MrBarlow 5th November 2020 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Killer Crocodile. 1989.

When toxic waste is being dumped at a tropical resort, a group of environmentalist arrive to stop it, they are being hunted by a giant crocodile.

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Yeah Italian Jaws rip off (i'm sure i heard the first notes of the John Williams score from Jaws aswell), the acting is what you would expect low budget cheese fest even with some good POV shots and some what a bit of bad dubbing mixed in. The croc itself was designed decently enough even though it ain't believable to be real but we did have plenty decent blood baths and good make-up effects, certainly worth a rewatch.

Attachment 229225

MrBarlow 5th November 2020 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Street Fighter. 1994.

Col. Guile and other heroes take on dictator General Bison and reclaim Shadaloo City.

This is the first time seeing this since the VHS era and found it enjoyable, even to this day it's still enjoyable, it did get a bad reputation around the school for being crap, it does have a decent story and plot to it. Van Damme does throw a few kicks and punches then unleashes his style in the finale. Raul Julia plays another good bad guy like he did in The Rookie, even though he was limited to do more due to his illness but his appearance is still good mixed with comedy that still stands out, at least we get to see Kylie in pigtails and a nice tight vest.

Attachment 229227

Demoncrat 5th November 2020 11:44 PM

Fiend (1980, Don Dohler)

Suburban mayhem from Mr Nightbeast. Is this the last gasp of regional US horror ? The squalling ST would suggest so ....
A neighbour's suspicion is raised when the next in a series of local murders literally lands on his doorstep. Somewhat more structurally sound, it's still rather stagey and mannered in time honoured fashion. Fun if it was a tad hard to make out the finale due to the faded nature of my old vhs ahem.

Demoncrat 6th November 2020 10:49 AM

Skullduggery (1983, Ota Richter)

Well, it's got a theme song for a start.
The hilarious "historical" prologue just sets up the madness to follow.
Cut to modern day and wouldn't you know it, they are playing those gateway RPGs! Satan must be close to hand prithee :laugh:
After a visit to a fortune teller ends badly, we end up in hospital (as the female lead is a nurse haha) for shenanigans. A hoot. Not one I remember seeing at the time, which is a shame as it's a lot of fun, the supporting cast is full of oddball characters etc.
REWATCH!!

MacBlayne 6th November 2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 639606)
Street Fighter. 1994.

Col. Guile and other heroes take on dictator General Bison and reclaim Shadaloo City.

This is the first time seeing this since the VHS era and found it enjoyable, even to this day it's still enjoyable, it did get a bad reputation around the school for being crap, it does have a decent story and plot to it. Van Damme does throw a few kicks and punches then unleashes his style in the finale. Raul Julia plays another good bad guy like he did in The Rookie, even though he was limited to do more due to his illness but his appearance is still good mixed with comedy that still stands out, at least we get to see Kylie in pigtails and a nice tight vest.

Attachment 229227

Steven E. deSouza original script only followed seven characters from the game. He felt too many more would make it scattershot.

After some budgeting issues, deSouza learnt that Capcom would only increase funding if he included more characters. He protested, but was overruled.

I'd say hindsight is a bitch, but Capcom made a lot of money out of this film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th November 2020 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)

What a sublime final scene Neil Jordan gives Interview with the Vampire It's a perfect example of how to use a song - Guns N' Roses performing Symphony for the Devil - to close a movie. It's up there with The Devil's Rejects and Freebird for me with the beautiful free flowing camera movement out of the car around the Golden Gate Bridge and finally over the city as dawn breaks.

A perfect way to end a near perfect movie.

Linbro 6th November 2020 07:44 PM

Sometimes you forget just how damn good something is:
'Silence of the Lambs', Criterion bluray.
Haven't seen it for years, so put it on last night. Still packs an almighty punch. That whole sequence when Lecter escapes from the 'cage' is stunning.
Noticed a few things this time, mainly how many times Starling is 'ogled' by men. In a couple of scenes she is literally surrounded by men, their size vs hers emphasised.
Great stuff, a true 5/5 for me.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th November 2020 07:57 PM

A film I never tire of watching.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th November 2020 07:58 PM

Believe it or not, I watched FLASHDANCE for the first time in my life last night.

Quite good eh?

MrBarlow 6th November 2020 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fog Island. 1945.

A ex convict living on a secluded island invites his former friends to the manor who he believes framed him for the crime he was sentenced for and to find out who killed his wife.

Adapted from a stage play this was a good murder mystery thriller, it may seem murky in some spots (which is best viewed in the dark and not to strain your eyes too much). It does have that feel of Agatha Christie's notion of And Then They Were None story, this did keep me entertained and for other fans you will enjoy it. George Zucco plays the ex con Leo and his step-daughter Gail played by Sharon Douglas try to find the answers to some questions and Leo planning his revenge. The acting was good and never seemed to be OTT along with some good cinematography.

Attachment 229252

Demoncrat 7th November 2020 12:02 AM

Exorcist III: Cries And Shadows (1975) (Lucia Damanio, Angelo Pannaccio)

It was worth the wait. I don't ask for much in life, just an endless stream of weird sludge thank you and gooood night :laugh:

Ahem. Makes The Visitor look sane. :nod:. Honest. :rolleyes::lol:

A brother and sister reunite to vanquish evil and t'ing.
Recommended.

nosferatu42 7th November 2020 01:42 AM

Noice one Demon..a favourite in my house....:nod:

MrBarlow 7th November 2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 639686)
Noice one Demon..a favourite in my house....:nod:

Same here, a good favourite, exorcist rip off is always welcome

Justin101 7th November 2020 01:18 PM

Friday the 13th (1980)
Friday the 13th part 2 (1981)

https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-con...Lake.png?w=700

Went for a double bill of the first two, finally getting to grips with the new box set, it was quite frustrating having it in hand but also being dedicated to no re-watches during October!

It's funny how your enjoyment of a film depends a lot on your mood I guess, the first 'Friday' is always hit or miss with me, sometimes I find it the dullest thing ever, other times I'm well up for it. I'm glad to say that this most recent watch I loved it. As for part 2, it ramps everything up and is a lot more fun. Has a better cast, better kills (when they're not cut) and better jump scares!

MrBarlow 7th November 2020 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prometheus. 2012.

Discovering the clues to the origin of mankind, a team arrive on a distant planet only to discover something else.

I think I have seen this film about 3 times now, it does have some good star cast that follow a interesting story with Prometheus, the god of fire and trickster, is that why Weyland claimed to be dead when he was in fact alive? The characters seem to try outshine everyone except David played by Michael Fassbender who nailed it as the android who we find has other motives and seems to hide his agenda.

The films seems rely more on the visual and special effects than the plot itself and gives out more questions than answers, I did enjoy it but felt like there could have been more to the plot than what there was, there was a spark but no fuel. I will try to put myself through Alien: Covenant again even though that was only seen once.

Attachment 229272

Justin101 7th November 2020 05:14 PM

I seem to be against the curve because I liked Covenant more than Prometheus but I think both are due a re-watch at some point shortly.

MrBarlow 7th November 2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 639720)
I seem to be against the curve because I liked Covenant more than Prometheus but I think both are due a re-watch at some point shortly.

I wasn't too thrilled on Covenant but no harm in a second viewing

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th November 2020 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Antrum (2018)

I love it when a movie features a disclaimer saying i could well die after watching it. It really gets you in the mood.

I don't think i've ever seen a film like Antrum before. The opening ten minutes and last few minutes are a wrap around documentary about how dangerous people believe this film to be whilst the remaining time constitutes the movie itself.

And what a bizarre movie it is. It's equally fascinating and yet boring and drawn out like a US election. At seventy five minutes it's far too long and lacking a story line and yet i found myself rewinding and watching parts several times. The film is full of subliminal imagery and blink and you'll miss em' goings on in the woods. The film is also littered with sigil's to the demon Astaroth. There must be getting on for a hundred of them and i found all this quite captivating.

At one point the screen goes black for a minute, perhaps less, but don't look away as you'll notice the dark, shadowy, demonic face of Astaroth looking through the blackness at you. I thought that was wonderfully creepy.

But the lack of story definitely underwhelms even if we do get to see Baphomet worshiping cannibal hillbillies committing bestiality with a dead deer, but it was definitely the visuals which held my attention in a 70's retro style movie that whilst severely flawed had ambition and Occult imagery in spades.

Demoncrat 7th November 2020 07:22 PM

Schizophreniac: The Whore Mangler (1997, Roy Atkins)

:pound::pound::pound:

Haven't enjoyed myself so much in ages. The grottiest film I've seen ... this week :laugh:
An aspiring director has ... a few emotional problems to say the least ahem.
It's on YT, check it out for yourselves .... :nod:

Nostalgic 7th November 2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 639505)
Fist of Honor. 1993.

A debt collector and boxer gets caught up in a feud between two rival mafia families and tries to find out who set him up.

This isn't a blockbuster success, even having Flash Gordon in the tile lead who is a street brawler boxer and heavy man who when challenged...he fights, them fighting words. Abe Vigoda and Harry Guardino play the heads of the families in truce until one breaks the truce and wants everything. It does have the typical American accent trying to do part Italian hard men. The plot does go a bit weak along the way and then gets a bit better but the fight scenes do make up for it in some ways.

Attachment 229195

I seriously thought that was Charlie Sheen on the cover! :pound:

MrBarlow 7th November 2020 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alien:Covenant. 2017.

A colony ship bound for a planet experience a shift in space and pick up a signal from a planet decide to check it out only to encounter a big problem where they may not escape from.

The first time I saw this and reviewed it, I gave it quite a bashing and probably swore I wouldn't watch it again but after a bit of peace and quiet (chromebook on and headphones on) second time watch and actually enjoyed it.

It seems to focus more on creation of life, from the start Weyland and David discussing life as David was created and asking who created his maker, that's more of before Prometheus journey looking for the creation of mankind. But like the other movies you have a new spaceship captain making a bad judgement then regretting the decision. Michael Fassbender returns as the android David and Walter (more advanced synthetic). The characters were a bit more appeasing to the point you become sympathetic as they will be sacrificed and begin to understand how the Aliens were created and became more of a hybrid species. The visual and special effects were done nicely along with some good cinematography. Hope Mr Scott does not screw up the next chapter in this when he does get round to making it even though it has been announced.

Attachment 229288

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th November 2020 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Murder on the Orient Express (2010)

An altogether slicker, pacier and dare i say darker telling of the Agatha Christie classic which benefits from not needing to give an all star cast their fair share of screen time as hampered the 1974 movie nor are we distracted by Poirot's ridiculous mustache as seen in the 2017 film.

That being said the likes of David Morrissey, Eileen Atkins, Jessica Chastain and Hugh Bonneville all provide excellent support to David Suchet's Poirot.

To anyone who might ask is Suchet any good as the great detective?

Well, Suchet IS Poirot like Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock Holmes.

Probably should have posted this in the tv thread, but seeing as it's 90 mins and movie length it doesn't matter.

MrBarlow 7th November 2020 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cry of the Werewolf, 1944.

A young woman raised by Gypsies tries to protect the family secret.

This is Columbia's takes on the Universal world of monsters and this seemed to be on a low budget so don't expect to see people change in to shape shifter werewolf like creature. I liked how they focused on the Romanian folklore and urban legends that have gone around for years on their beliefs. The acting was entertaining enough to pass an hour or so but wouldn't be in a hurry to watch it again anytime soon.

Attachment 229291

trebor8273 8th November 2020 07:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20H44C7kwQM

Kelsey Grammer plays a navel officer who finally gets his own command , but it's a clapped out old ww2 sub and he is part of a navel operation but the odds are stacked against him thanks to a admiral that hates him and the worst crew in navel history. Forgettable but enjoyable if predictable. 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOTQzm6o15c

Steven Martin plays architect who after building a dream home and proposing to his finance is dumped by her. A few months later he has a one night stand with a waitress(Hawn) , whom ends up moving into the home and posing as his wife. When Newton (Martin) finds out he thinks this could be away to get his old girlfriend back. 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwlYHOK5-A

Another piece of enjoyable feel good comedy with Goldie Hawn. This time she plays track and field teacher who wants to coach football, see gets her dream but it's not the school she was hoping for but the worst school in Chicago, a enjoyable mix a fish out of water and sports comedy, watch out for Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in early roles. 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_z0FPNBeio

Kiefer Sutherland plays a uptight fbi agent who is charged with transporting hippy radical Huey Walker ( Dennis Hopper) to prison. They get involved with a corrupt sheriff and along the way find out they have more in common than first thought. 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5gVrNXyfB0

James Belushi plays a man who thinks his life would of turned out better if he had won the championship baseball game when he was 15, he gets his wish when he enters a bar who just happens to be run by destiny( Michael Cane) but he might be rich and successful but he finds out there is more too life and it's not always greener on the other side. Like a extended twilight zone . 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7t91gbSf8

A hitman who is developing a conscience decides to attended his 10 year high school reunion , returning to the town he left ten years age. Once there he has too deal with a rival hitman ( Dan Aykroyd) ,a contract on his life , the fbi and the women he ran out on there senior prom. A very enjoyable film with a great 80s soundtrack. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6E7x-0YQY

Henry Winkler plays a morgue attended ( Chuck)who sent too the nightshift, he and his assistance ( Michael Keaton) decide to help Chucks neighbour ( Shelley Long) who is a prostitute who's pimp has been killed and decided to run her and some other girls from the morgue. A early Ron Howard movie. 7.5/10

Now watching, which I've not seen since it's release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKGLSKXZkw

Demoncrat 8th November 2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 639729)
Antrum (2018)

I love it when a movie features a disclaimer saying i could well die after watching it. It really gets you in the mood.

I don't think i've ever seen a film like Antrum before. The opening ten minutes and last few minutes are a wrap around documentary about how dangerous people believe this film to be whilst the remaining time constitutes the movie itself.

And what a bizarre movie it is. It's equally fascinating and yet boring and drawn out like a US election. At seventy five minutes it's far too long and lacking a story line and yet i found myself rewinding and watching parts several times. The film is full of subliminal imagery and blink and you'll miss em' goings on in the woods. The film is also littered with sigil's to the demon Astaroth. There must be getting on for a hundred of them and i found all this quite captivating.

At one point the screen goes black for a minute, perhaps less, but don't look away as you'll notice the dark, shadowy, demonic face of Astaroth looking through the blackness at you. I thought that was wonderfully creepy.

But the lack of story definitely underwhelms even if we do get to see Baphomet worshiping cannibal hillbillies committing bestiality with a dead deer, but it was definitely the visuals which held my attention in a 70's retro style movie that whilst severely flawed had ambition and Occult imagery in spades.

Hyperbole: The Movie.

I highly recommend Porno then, as it has the same basic problem. lots of great bits, but in the end a jumble of things. £5 being the limit :lol:

Demoncrat 9th November 2020 09:24 AM

Blood Theatre (1984, Rick Sloane)

A scheming cinema manager tricks three employees into reopening a theatre with a shady past.
Somewhat spoofy in nature this one. Mary Woronov pops up to sneer and stuff. Short but sweet haha. :nod: