Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640014)
You're insane, this film is amazing :lol: Can't really compare it to Franco or Rollin, that's unfair :p

WHATEVER LA

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 640037)
Sold, how many films had the Demons title?

Cthulhu knows MrB. Twas a review on Farceberg that hipped me to it. ENJOY. It is just crazed.

Justin101 12th November 2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 640040)
Attachment 229393

A documentary crew follow the lives of four flatmates and their every day lives which begins at 6 pm every afternoon because they are all vampires.

There is no plot just vampires going about their business trying to adapt into modern life like not getting to enjoy the most popular nightclubs because they can only enter if they are invited in and the trials and tribulations of trying to look your best in your fancy glad rags when you cant see yourself in the mirror. The look of the house and the clothes of each vampire looked great and the style of each character was really matched to their persona perfectly.

There are plenty of laugh out loud moments throughout and the banter between the vampires and the werewolves was some of the best especially the fake stick throw and the track suit pants V jeans scene :lol:

7/10

I loved the bit when they went on their night out and they were talking up the club that allows vampires in, and they walked in and it was like that club in The Inbetweeners Movie :lol:

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 640040)
Attachment 229393

A documentary crew follow the lives of four flatmates and their every day lives which begins at 6 pm every afternoon because they are all vampires.

There is no plot just vampires going about their business trying to adapt into modern life like not getting to enjoy the most popular nightclubs because they can only enter if they are invited in and the trials and tribulations of trying to look your best in your fancy glad rags when you cant see yourself in the mirror. The look of the house and the clothes of each vampire looked great and the style of each character was really matched to their persona perfectly.

There are plenty of laugh out loud moments throughout and the banter between the vampires and the werewolves was some of the best especially the fake stick throw and the track suit pants V jeans scene :lol:

7/10

"...Peter's not coming ...". REWATCH!!!!

nosferatu42 12th November 2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 640036)
Demons 6: De Profundis aka The Black Cat (Cozzi)

Caroline Munro and Brett Halsey? SOLD.
A film director finds that not everyone is a fan in this rather bonkers tale of regret and retakes. Another find on YT, so the print's not that great, but it's on the list alright. :nod::nod:

PS I instantly liked it more than The Three Mothers :nod::nod::nod:

Just out on Blu ray, Severin i think although it's going sharp, i've ordered one if it ever turns up.

MrBarlow 12th November 2020 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tremors 3: Back To Perfection. 2001.

11 years have passed since the first Graboid attack, everyone living a pleasant peaceful life, Jack Sawyer new resident is doing tours around the area putting on fake Graboid attractions. Burt Gummer is still paranoid that they will return and when they attack they have evolved into flying shriekers.

Tremors 3 is another fun dose of B-movie monster mayhem, albeit one slightly marred by the notable absence of the main stars of the first movie (Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward) and the inclusion of some rather ropey CGI effects. If not expecting too much then this serves up some good straight to video fun. The formula remains the same, with Burt the paranoid saviour of Perfection getting some good funny lines, still enjoyable fun for the family.

Attachment 229397

Nordicdusk 12th November 2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640045)
I loved the bit when they went on their night out and they were talking up the club that allows vampires in, and they walked in and it was like that club in The Inbetweeners Movie :lol:

Just that few seconds of them dancing cracked me up.

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 640058)
Just out on Blu ray, Severin i think although it's going sharp, i've ordered one if it ever turns up.

SOLD

nicholasrope 12th November 2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 640009)
Attachment 229390
THE TOWERING INFERNO (1974)

Right up there with my favourite all time movies. I saw the film on release with my parents while on holiday and as such carries a lot of nostalgia with it as well.
For me, the best of the all star disaster movies of the 1970's and this is what big screen adventure and spectacle are all about.
Running for 2 hours and 45 mins, the movie had an intermission at the part Where the stairway explodes and Newman has to get the kids down the mangled stairs. The cinema was quite warm as well and that added to the atmosphere. When the movie was over, I remember my mum being a bit frightened about going back to our holiday flat in case it never had the right fire safety measures.
20th Century Fox and Warner Bros teamed up to produce the movie as both company's were going to adapt novels about a fire in a huge skyscraper.
Also for me, the poster features one of the best artworks ever on a movie poster.

:star::star::star::star::star:

** Please, never ever watch this movie on the likes of channel 5 etc..
The film is cut to shreds. I mean really butchered! And never ever in it's correct aspect ratio.

I've got this on DVD, really need to watch it

nicholasrope 12th November 2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 640017)
3:15, I also enjoy these type of American high school violence / gangs type like class of 84, saw this first time earlier this year since vhs days, which if I’m correct has not been transferred over from vhs to any other format which is a shame films like these need to be.

I went through a phase of buying Ex-Rental Videos just to watch the adverts for nostalgia purposes, this was one of them, this film was one of those pleasant treats.

nosferatu42 12th November 2020 09:18 PM

I put a compilation of dodgy trailers together from VHS i had at one point, think i copied em to dvd at one point so they're about somewhere, i called it...

Sleaze, cheese and Japanese.

I miss the days of a 2 VHS set up.

nicholasrope 12th November 2020 09:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Heat (1986)

Burt Reynolds is a Bodyguard/Enforcer who wishes to get away from Atlantic City and Vegas, in order to do so he takes jobs that include letting someone pretend to beat him up in order to impress a girl or teaching self defense. However when he helps a Hooker get revenge on a entitled gangster, he incurs the wrath of The Mob. This is a forgotten Warner/Cannon film which isn't bad, it just focuses too much of him and Peter McNichol storyline instead of the Hooker/Mob storyline.

Boulevard

A abused woman flees to Toronto after giving up her newborn baby for adoption. When arriving she is befriended by a Hooker played by Rae Dawn Chong. Realizing that she needs to start earning money she ends up Hooking (After persuading her reluctant friend) where she attracts the attention of a murderous/nasty Pimp (Lou Diamond Phillips who plays his role really well, completely opposite character to Gil in Prodigal Son) Eventually things start turning ugly for you as the Pimp and Ex-Husband go looking for her. Lance Henrikson plays the sympathetic Vice Detective. I enjoyed this very much, it was riveting and a very under-rated, under the radar film.

Death Before Dishonor

80's Action Film in which a Marine Unit in Lebanon go on the hunt for Terrorists who assassinate and kidnap members of their unit. A fun movie if you're into this type of film, I thought that Fred Dywer did rather well in his role and there was an appearance by Sasha Mitchell.

Next Of Kin

Patrick Swayze is a Hillbilly Cop in Chicago who hunts down his brother's killer while trying to keep his brother from interfering. Again a fun movie which I knew about but never got round to watching. This certainly has a cast which includes Liam Neeson, Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt, Adam Baldwin (3:15) and in a serious role (I know he's been in serious films) and before he was famous (And I thought that this was an urban legend) Ben Stiller.

American Fighter

A middle eastern Teen trying to raise money in order to bring his Sick Mother to The U.S.A. ends up Illegal Fighting. Based on a True Story, it follows the usual clichés but there's plenty of Fighting and is a decent watch.

nicholasrope 12th November 2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 640076)
I put a compilation of dodgy trailers together from VHS i had at one point, think i copied em to dvd at one point so they're about somewhere, i called it...

Sleaze, cheese and Japanese.

I miss the days of a 2 VHS set up.

There's a few Trailer Reels on Youtube, I find them quite addictive as I can't just watch just one.

Ended up buying A Breed Apart cause I saw the advert on one.

Justin101 12th November 2020 09:54 PM

The Host (2006) Director Bong Joon-ho

https://www.flixist.com/wp-content/u...ng-joon-ho.jpg

This film, about a giant mutated killer fish, has no right being as good as it is. But, it dragged me in right from the start and kept me on the edge of my seat, are they ever going to find and rescue Hyun-seo, why doesn't anyone believe the Park family? Is there really a virus??

I've had this un-watched on my shelf for years and I wish I had seen it sooner, loved it, and now I'm really excited to watch Memories of Murder!

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640086)
The Host (2006) Director Bong Joon-ho

https://www.flixist.com/wp-content/u...ng-joon-ho.jpg

This film, about a giant mutated killer fish, has no right being as good as it is. But, it dragged me in right from the start and kept me on the edge of my seat, are they ever going to find and rescue Hyun-seo, why doesn't anyone believe the Park family? Is there really a virus??

I've had this un-watched on my shelf for years and I wish I had seen it sooner, loved it, and now I'm really excited to watch Memories of Murder!

A great film. Enjoy MOM. You WILL. :nod:

gag 12th November 2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 640075)
I went through a phase of buying Ex-Rental Videos just to watch the adverts for nostalgia purposes, this was one of them, this film was one of those pleasant treats.

This is also a time when you realise you shouldn’t have been in such a rush to dispose of your vhs films. So many films still never been transferred from vhs is unreal, might be wrong but I think screamtime another, that’s why occasionally I type in youtube 70s / 80s horror and you can find literally hundreds of films that you forgot about or aren’t on dvd yet etc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th November 2020 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reno 911!: Miami (2007)

Sometimes you just need to laugh and this ridiculous, crass, politically uncorrect, crude and riotously funny docudrama always does the trick for me.

Paul Rudd plays Scarface and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson explodes!

"Oh man. I just had the weirdest dream."

"You know you're driving right now, right?"

Justin101 12th November 2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640094)

Sometimes you just need to laugh and this ridiculous, crass, politically uncorrect, crude and riotously funny docudrama always does the trick for me.

That's exactly why I watched Police Academy a couple of nights ago :) Sometimes you just need to watch a film where someone puts boot polish on the mouth piece of a megaphone :lol:

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 640093)
This is also a time when you realise you shouldn’t have been in such a rush to dispose of your vhs films. So many films still never been transferred from vhs is unreal, might be wrong but I think screamtime another, that’s why occasionally I type in youtube 70s / 80s horror and you can find literally hundreds of films that you forgot about or aren’t on dvd yet etc.

Who does this now? Only civilians :pound:

I'll get me cloak .... :rolleyes:

Demoncrat 12th November 2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640094)

The series leaves the film in the dust D. Just saying ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th November 2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 640100)
The series leaves the film in the dust D. Just saying ....

Yeah i agree. Just dusted off the first series dvd to rewatch.

Dave Boy 13th November 2020 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 229425
ROLLERBALL (1975)

The first time I saw this was not in a cinema but in a sports hall. There was a showing of the movie and myself and some school mates got to see it one evening. It must have been a 16mm print.
Such a great film. Not just the Rollerball action but all the corporate decisions going on behind the scenes.

gag 13th November 2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 640179)
Attachment 229425
ROLLERBALL (1975)

The first time I saw this was not in a cinema but in a sports hall. There was a showing of the movie and myself and some school mates got to see it one evening. It must have been a 16mm print.
Such a great film. Not just the Rollerball action but all the corporate decisions going on behind the scenes.

Great film and proves how great films where in the 70s that can still stand the test of time, eg here some other films that were released the same year.
Death race 2000 bit dated now tho
Monty Python Holy grail
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Jaws
Shampoo
Tommy
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show
French Connection II"
Picnic at hanging rock
Croneneberg debut shivers
And many others, 75 produce some great films in that year .

Justin101 13th November 2020 09:28 PM

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

https://www.joblo.com/assets/images/...ychapterfb.jpg

I'm so horny for Crispin Glover in this movie.
Also, I love that Jason's 'thing' is throwing people through windows. Oh the door is locked but if I throw a body through this window I can get in much easier.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th November 2020 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)

Gave this a rewatch last night in anticipation of the new AC/DC album today given that they do all the music for it.

Hells Bells, this film, directed by Stephen King is the total opposite of his books. It's high voltage mayhem from the first minute to last with barely any room for character development, which means the movie actually becomes duller the more it goes on.

Emilio Estevez and Pat Hingle lead some riff raff holding out in a truck stop as various vehicles, mainly trucks, attempt to kill them, It practically feels like a precursor to The Mist except with trucks instead of creatures. Although the characters are weak it's fun to see Hingle with a bazooka, who at the flick of a switch sends rockets like heat seekers at the rampaging machines.

King himself remembers little about the experience apparently given he was coked up throughout filming. And it shows! Yet despite it's flaws Maximum Overdrive is fun. Crank it up and it'll certainly shake your foundations.

MrBarlow 13th November 2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640187)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)

Gave this a rewatch last night in anticipation of the new AC/DC album today given that they do all the music for it.

Hells Bells, this film, directed by Stephen King is the total opposite of his books. It's high voltage mayhem from the first minute to last with barely any room for character development, which means the movie actually becomes duller the more it goes on.

Emilio Estevez and Pat Hingle lead some riff raff holding out in a truck stop as various vehicles, mainly trucks, attempt to kill them, It practically feels like a precursor to The Mist except with trucks instead of creatures. Although the characters are weak it's fun to see Hingle with a bazooka, who at the flick of a switch sends rockets like heat seekers at the rampaging machines.

King himself remembers little about the experience apparently given he was coked up throughout filming. And it shows! Yet despite it's flaws Maximum Overdrive is fun. Crank it up and it'll certainly shake your foundations.

Stephen King a coke addict...never :nono: :lol: Wasn't he like that when he wrote Cujo and can't even remember writing it? Maximum Overdrive is another one of my guilty pleasures to view.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th November 2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 640190)
Stephen King a coke addict...never :nono: :lol: Wasn't he like that when he wrote Cujo and can't even remember writing it? Maximum Overdrive is another one of my guilty pleasures to view.

I'd need coke to watch Cujo again. :lol:

MrBarlow 13th November 2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640191)
I'd need coke to watch Cujo again. :lol:

Would you not be needing something a bit more than that, ask Nos42 if he has any more booze in his stock pile. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th November 2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 640192)
Would you not be needing something a bit more than that, ask Nos42 if he has any more booze in his stock pile. :lol:

Waste of time. nos42 drinks his booze! I can tell by his late night ramblings, er' postings, on here.

nosferatu42 13th November 2020 10:46 PM

Too right!! :nod:

MrBarlow 13th November 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640193)
Waste of time. nos42 drinks his booze! I can tell by his late night ramblings, er' postings, on here.

It is amazing how one drunk person can be more entertaining than some of the crap we watch on the box.

MacBlayne 14th November 2020 08:04 AM

Stephen King said he has no memory of writing Cujo, and it depresses him that he was that far gone.

Also, the cinematographer for Maximum Overdrive lost his eye in an accident, and sued King for negligence. King settled uncontested, because he could remember what had happened.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2020 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
High Moon (2019)

A low budget horror / western / action hybrid about an old west gunslinger (Chad Michael Collins) resurrected in the modern day to kill an outlaw gang of werewolves.

We are definitely in Werewolves on Wheels (1971) territory here rather than say, Dog Soldiers, but there's much to enjoy. There's a lot of humour and the 'fish out of water' stuff is well written. In fact the whole script works well and the likes of Sean Patrick Flannery (as a gun-running mayor) and the gorgeous Chelsea Edmundson are clearly having a blast.

Although the action sequences are a little hampered by budgetary restraints (i've seen a lot worse) on the whole i found High Moon to be a lot of fun.

Justin101 14th November 2020 11:49 AM

Is that a supermarket DVD?

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640212)
Is that a supermarket DVD?

Yes.

Well worth the fiver paid.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2020 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

The most entertaining film in the long running series in which not a single scene is wasted. The story begins straight from the off with Jason's resurrection and it never slows until the closing credits as the corpses build up throughout as masked killer Jason Vorhees makes his way back to Camp Crystal Lake with inventive maniacal flair.

Thom Matthews and Jennifer Cooke make for an appealing double act you can get behind, (in fact Cooke has more than a passing resemblance to Ellie Cornell from Halloween 4 & 5) rather than the usual disposable teens films of this ilk throw at you.

A story further up the evolutionary scale from simply killing teens at a summer camp, some fun kills, a couple of brilliant Alice Cooper songs and an ending that sets up a sixth sequel make this my favourite of the Friday the 13th movies.

Justin101 14th November 2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640217)
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)

Wherever the red dot goes, you bang. :lol:

Considered this one for last night but I'm doing them in order and didn't want to skip 4 and 5 :) do love this one though.

Demoncrat 14th November 2020 05:57 PM

Bits And Pieces (1985, Leland Thomas)

Fifth tier mishmash of Maniac and ... take your pick really :laugh:
A nerdish loner preys on local women. He doubles his efforts when a friend of a previous victim goes to the cops in order to track her down. Odd enough. The cop takes her to the beach "to relax" at one point :lol:

Robotrix (1991, Jamie Luk)

Watched this after the CAT III thing. Insane soft core Robocop knock off. Just about as HK as it gets really. A newly promoted female cop finds herself "reborn" as .... go on guess? .... when she interrupts a kidnapping attempt. Not good enough? Go back to Arid Aster then :laugh:
RECOMMENDED.

Demoncrat 14th November 2020 08:37 PM

Bad Taste

Hadn't seen this in long enough, so dug it out. I laughed so much the first time I saw this film. I still do. One man's eternal search for the perfect peach blossom goes awry when he stumbles into the wrong florist .... :lol:.
Look, hands up whom hasn't seen this?
Still the quirky, inventive sci fi actioner it ever was :nod:

gag 14th November 2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 640242)
Bad Taste

Hadn't seen this in long enough, so dug it out. I laughed so much the first time I saw this film. I still do. One man's eternal search for the perfect peach blossom goes awry when he stumbles into the wrong florist .... :lol:.
Look, hands up whom hasn't seen this?
Still the quirky, inventive sci fi actioner it ever was :nod:

Love this film it’s weird to look at the fact he made this, Braindead, meet the feebles then goes on to make lord of the rings and hobbit trilogy.
I always say if you’ve to describe this film to someone imagine monty python making a horror and this is the result :lol:.