Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2021 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Elmer Gantry (1960)

Oh, this movie was so not my comfort zone. Burt Lancaster as a conman and Jean Simmons as an evangelist selling religion to small town America in the late 1920's.

Having said that Lancaster was excellent as was the shock finale and i could watch Simmons reading the telephone book for two hours...or in this case the Bible, but as i said, this film was really not for me.

Yes, i expect to burn in hell.

MrBarlow 20th March 2021 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mortuary Collection. 2019

A young girl looks into a job vacancy at a funeral home and is told stories from the funeral director, but does she have a story to tell as well.

Another horror movie anthology of tales that are very original and creative with some decent special effects mixed in and some good decent twist to every story. Clancy Brown plays the old funeral director who tells the tails to Caitlin Custer and a actor who appears in 2 segments and seems to have the same character trates. I wouldn't say this was the greatest anthology film since Hammer/Amicus era and it does have it's campy moments but certainly entertaining enough to watch.

Attachment 232039

Nordicdusk 21st March 2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 648195)
The Mortuary Collection. 2019

A young girl looks into a job vacancy at a funeral home and is told stories from the funeral director, but does she have a story to tell as well.

Another horror movie anthology of tales that are very original and creative with some decent special effects mixed in and some good decent twist to every story. Clancy Brown plays the old funeral director who tells the tails to Caitlin Custer and a actor who appears in 2 segments and seems to have the same character trates. I wouldn't say this was the greatest anthology film since Hammer/Amicus era and it does have it's campy moments but certainly entertaining enough to watch.

Attachment 232039

Is this on Shudder or am i thinking of something else.

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 648196)
Is this on Shudder or am i thinking of something else.

Yeah it is on Shudder, signed up to it last night £4.99 a month so far its a bargain

Nordicdusk 21st March 2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 648198)
Yeah it is on Shudder, signed up to it last night £4.99 a month so far its a bargain

Only recently signed up myself turned it on last night and White Zombie was just added and its much better quality than the rubbish dvd i have so that was a treat. Ill give that Anthology a watch tomorrow cheers.

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 648199)
Only recently signed up myself turned it on last night and White Zombie was just added and its much better quality than the rubbish dvd i have so that was a treat. Ill give that Anthology a watch tomorrow cheers.

White Zombie is a good classic film

You may like the next movie I just watched.

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Cleansing Hour. 2019.

Drew and Max run a webcam series "The Cleansing Hour" in which Father Max performs exorcisms which turns out to be a hoax to get top viewing ratings, however their next live stream ends up with a staff member being possessed for real.

This is a bit of a different take on the demon/possession movie that turned out better than I originally though it would be, the plot does sound daft but does work. Ryan Guzman who plays Max goes full out with his acting in this as a fake and tries his best to find his faith with Drew played by Kyle Gallner who is his producer of the webcast series. There is some CGI effects that the makers try to use but there is added in make-up that does work. Worth a watch.

Attachment 232040

Nordicdusk 21st March 2021 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 648201)
White Zombie is a good classic film

You may like the next movie I just watched.

I love White Zombie some great creepy imagery in it its a shame it only just over an hour long. I will eventually pick up the Kino Blu Ray.

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 648203)
I love White Zombie some great creepy imagery in it its a shame it only just over an hour long. I will eventually pick up the Kino Blu Ray.

Think there may be a que for it :lol:

Nordicdusk 21st March 2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 648204)
Think there may be a que for it :lol:

The first world problems of being out of work i cant buy all the releases i want :lol:

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 648205)
The first world problems of being out of work i cant buy all the releases i want :lol:

When there is a will to get them you can find a way to buy them always think positive Nordi no matter how much sh@t the world throws at ya.

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stung. 2015.

Mrs Perch is throwing a garden party for her upper class friends when they are attacked by wasps who then mutate into giant predators, the two caterers try to find a way to survive the attack.

If you are looking for a creature feature that take's itself seriously...then this isn't for you, even from the trailer I know it would be bad, but sometimes bad can be good...if that can be possible?? Matt O'Leary and Jessica Cook play Paul and Julia who play the halpless caterers come survivors along with Mayor Caruthers played by Lance Henriksen who does pull off a serious part, the film does play something of a Alien chest bursting and head ripping apart homage it, is campy, daft and pretty much predictable.

Attachment 232041

MrBarlow 21st March 2021 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
32 Malasana St. 2020.

Madrid 1976, a family move in to a new apartment block on the top floor, soon they begin to suspect that their new flat and building is haunted and try to uncover the past of their flat.

This did have a lot to appeal for it from the trailer I saw, typical working family moving to a new home and soon the torment begins, this can be a slow burner at times but does pay off a lot with some tense moments and cast try to make it believable and some predictable jump scares at times, it does have good production values to it, if you can make it through the subtitles and have a open mind about this then give it a try.

Attachment 232044

Demoncrat 21st March 2021 07:49 AM

Rest In Pieces (1987)

An oddity. Inherit a fortune, you say? All we have to do is move into an exclusive enclave? The neighbours seem a tad ... quirky is it?
Great time capsule at least, how attitudes change etc etc. Still a tad clunky for all that.

Laserblast
(1978)

What's a young man to do with his life? Does finding a strange appliance in the desert have any bearing? A slightly flat affair, our lead is a smidgen on the unlikeable side. Felt also it was missing one crucial scene at the end, so you can't win 'em all ...

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

So stuck this on to round out the evening. Still unsure as to whether Canadians refer to everyone under 30 as "kids" ahem :lol:, as they all work in the local mine (and all look just as "young" as the class in Please Sir! tbh :laugh:)
Regardless, the restored material looks as good as it ever will now I suppose, giving it a harder edge akin to The Prowler imho. A pity they never continued with it really ...

gag 21st March 2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 648212)
Rest In Pieces (1987)

An oddity. Inherit a fortune, you say? All we have to do is move into an exclusive enclave? The neighbours seem a tad ... quirky is it?
Great time capsule at least, how attitudes change etc etc. Still a tad clunky for all that.

Laserblast
(1978)

What's a young man to do with his life? Does finding a strange appliance in the desert have any bearing? A slightly flat affair, our lead is a smidgen on the unlikeable side. Felt also it was missing one crucial scene at the end, so you can't win 'em all ...

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

So stuck this on to round out the evening. Still unsure as to whether Canadians refer to everyone under 30 as "kids" ahem :lol:, as they all work in the local mine (and all look just as "young" as the class in Please Sir! tbh :laugh:)
Regardless, the restored material looks as good as it ever will now I suppose, giving it a harder edge akin to The Prowler imho. A pity they never continued with it really ...

I Disagree some films are better when they are left alone,
Dead and buried
Burning
helps them become more cult, classic instead of being ruined with endless and pointless sequels like
Tcm
Fri 13
Halloween
Alien
Hellraiser
Cotc
And many others .
Nothing wrong with odd sequel etc like a trilogy eg omen, but when they’re just milking the franchise for sake of it :nono::nono::nono:.

Demoncrat 21st March 2021 11:29 AM

So you are saying that the ending of MBV doesn't cry out for at least one follow up? Whatever.
At least I'm reviewing stuff cough.
Pick on someone else son. I fukcing love MBV etc. :hail::hail::hail:

:nono:

gag 21st March 2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 648217)
So you are saying that the ending of MBV doesn't cry out for at least one follow up? Whatever.
At least I'm reviewing stuff cough.
Pick on someone else son. I fukcing love MBV etc. :hail::hail::hail:

:nono:

Nothing wrong with MBV my comment is about there’s nothing wrong with a sequel or trilogy it’s when they have 7 8 9 + or lots of pointless sequels.

Demoncrat 21st March 2021 11:51 AM

Pray tell how any of those original films are "ruined" by their sequels anyhow? I've watched Halloween endlessly, it still works, regardless how substandard most of the sequels are.

SHRUG.

trebor8273 21st March 2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 648221)
Pray tell how any of those original films are "ruined" by their sequels anyhow? I've watched Halloween endlessly, it still works, regardless how substandard most of the sequels are.

SHRUG.

Also aliens and hellrasier 2 are all very good, me I like hellrasier 2 more than the first and as you say how do inferior sequels spoil the original?

Don't like them don't watch them .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st March 2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 648213)
Dead and buried
Burning
helps them become more cult, classic instead of being ruined with endless and pointless sequels like
Tcm
Fri 13
Halloween
Alien
Hellraiser
Cotc
And many others .
Nothing wrong with odd sequel etc like a trilogy eg omen, but when they’re just milking the franchise for sake of it :nono::nono::nono:.

Some sequels are better than their predecessors: The Bride of Frankenstein; Toy Story 2 (and Toy Story 3); The Godfather Part II; The Dark Knight; Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; The Bourne Supremacy; Batman Returns; The Road Warrior.

I think other sequels can be more entertaining than the first film, with Terminator 2, Aliens, and Friday the 13th Part 2 as the obvious examples.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 648213)
Dead and buried
Burning
Tcm
Fri 13
Halloween
Alien
Hellraiser
Cotc
And many others .

The majority of horror fans love the F13Th sequels. A lot like myself think the sixth film is the best of the lot. In fact the first film is often way down the list when i see them ranked.

Same goes for the Halloween series. The seventh film H20 is thought very highly of and i personally think the fourth one is excellent.

Alien wasn't ruined by any of it's sequels and expansion of the series and many rate the seventh film Prometheus very highly indeed.

I'm not a fan of the Texas films but many are so i can't say they have ruined the legacy of the first film. It can be argued that the Hellraiser films are a declining franchise but personally i like them all and think the biggest crime they could commit was not revisiting the S&M horrors of the Cenobites.

I have no idea what Cotc is by the way.

Demoncrat 21st March 2021 12:40 PM

Children Of The Corn ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 648229)
Children Of The Corn ;)

FFS! Another shit example then, seeing as the third film Urban Harvest is widely acknowledged as the best of the series.

Inspector Abberline 21st March 2021 01:00 PM

Alone with jack

Without Warning.(1980)
Coming across like a mixture of Last of the Summer Wine meets Predator ,but instead of a conveyor belt of out of work sitcom actors from British television,we have instead a bunch of down on there luck tough guy actors from the 1960s waiting to be rediscovered,for a new audience...But instead of a bunch of grumpy old men having hilarious misadventures and hijinks,we have a bunch of miserable old men fighting an alien with the help of some flying killer starfish...it's a real who's who of actors who have probably seen the inside of one two many whiskey bottles in there hey day... leading the axis of misery is Jack Palance*as Joe Taylor, following him is Martin Landau,Neville Brand and Ralph Meeker ( who really does sound drunk,but unfortunately he had suffered a stroke in 1980). Cameron Mitchell*is on hand also,then again he seemed to be in every low budget movie during the 1980s...It can't be any coincidence that *Kevin Peter Hall*was the alien in this and Predator,seeing as there very similar stories...Of course it's all fairly hokey but it's fun hokum,and it's always good seeing David Caruso getting his comupence by an Alien...

Alone in the Dark*(1982).
Back by popular demand,Jack Parlance and Martin Landau,team up as psychopath mental patients who manage to escape there hospital cells,(although you would think that a maximum security hospital,which relies on electricity for it's security, would have a back up plan in case of a power cut,I mean who is running these prisons,did Group 4 Security have the contract for this and Smith's Grove Sanitarium back in the day... Donald Pleasence is Dr Leo Bain,the total opposite to his Sam Loomis alter ego, where as Loomis was a gun toting rather shouty doctor,Bain has a more relaxed attitude to curing his patients....in other words he seems to do very little apart from spout new age nonsense and smoke a dope pipe... Unusually for an 80s slasher the killer's are much more sympathetic and three dimensional than there counterparts...That's probably because you have some fairly respectable actors instead of some nameless actor hacking his or her way through the cast...Jack Sholder directs probably one of the better slashers from this period, although it has a fairly low gore score,it makes up for it with a witty and intelligent script...also nothing beats seeing Jack Palance going into the night club after punching out the guy on the door,to the sound of the Sick ****s....

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st March 2021 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Dark Path (2020)

A Dark Path commits the biggest crime a horror film can do. It's utterly boring for 70 of it's 75 minute run time. I can cope with low budget and poor acting, i can handle ridiculous scenarios and badly written dialogue but i can't handle pure tedium.

It's a film where nothing of any note happens whatsoever, simply two girls with a broken down car down a country lane. Talking. Talking a lot.

A decent looking man in a monster suit creature turns up with five minutes to go, growls a bit and that's pretty much the film

iank 21st March 2021 07:59 PM

Spies Like Us. Chevy Chase and Dan Akyroyd are two bumbling low-level government employees chosen to be rushed through training and turned into actual agents/spies - with the intention of using them as expendable decoys while the real agents get things done. This mid 80s comedy is watchable enough - though the Afghan midsection borders on tedious - and is bouyed by its stars and that 80s charm, but suffers from the fact that, aside from a few chuckles from Chevy's smartassness, it's just not that funny.

nicholasrope 21st March 2021 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Sister's Keeper

Abigail Breslin plays a Child who hires Attorney played by Alec Baldwin in order to sue her Parents (Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric) for Medical Emancipation after she's supposed to donate her Kidney to save her Sister who his dying from Cancer. A very powerful film that has many stunning performances.

Con Air

A masterful All Action film which sees Criminals take over a Aeroplane. I watched the Extended Edition and for once the additional scenes actually are useful as one shows why Cage was eager to save his friend.

It's 25 years old next year and I want a Special Edition with features galore.

MrBarlow 22nd March 2021 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Exorcismus. (aka The Possession of Emma Evans) 2010.

Fifteen year old Emma thinks she is possessed after she and her friends play with a Ouija board, her uncle who is a priest and knows about exorcisms and has had experience is called in to perform a exorcism and records the evidence.

This film was written and directed by a Spanish duo and filmed in England with English actors, which is something that's not new but may be more creepy and darker if it was made in Spain. This is nothing like The Exorcist or other Demonic Possession movies as this does have a added twist to it. The acting isn't great but not that bad, I have seen this film a few times and still in a dilemma of do i like or hate it. Stephen Billington plays the Uncle and priest who seems tortured over a exorcism he performed and Sophie Vavasseur plays the troubled teen. Doug Bradley makes a appearance for a few minutes and knows how to deliver a small good performance.

Attachment 232056

iank 22nd March 2021 08:10 PM

Happiest Season. Kristen Stewart is heading off to spend her first Christmas with her girlfriend's family - and meet them for the first time - only to find out halfway there that they just think she's her roommate, because her girlfriend hasn't yet told them she's gay. This 2020 festive rom-com is pretty entertaining and likeable, with a good cast including Mary Steenburgen, Alison Brie and Victor Garber, and is genuinely funny, sweet and even touching. This was a good film, I liked it. :) :nod:

trebor8273 22nd March 2021 08:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-V3X963DRI

the usual Cronenberg body horror this time scientist Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) is onto the greatest scientific discovery ever, teleportation , in his experiments something goes wrong when a fly is trapped with him when he experiments on himself , mutating him . At first it makes him stronger and faster than before but he slowly begins too mutate. Some great practical effects and always loved the scene when the fly pukes on the man's arm and leg. 8.5/10

Now watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRmih3xUd0

nicholasrope 22nd March 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 648321)
Happiest Season. Kristen Stewart is heading off to spend her first Christmas with her girlfriend's family - and meet them for the first time - only to find out halfway there that they just think she's her roommate, because her girlfriend hasn't yet told them she's gay. This 2020 festive rom-com is pretty entertaining and likeable, with a good cast including Mary Steenburgen, Alison Brie and Victor Garber, and is genuinely funny, sweet and even touching. This was a good film, I liked it. :) :nod:

Yes, I wasn't expecting much from this one, I was pleasantly surprised.

nicholasrope 22nd March 2021 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jaws 3

The series moves from Amity to a Sea Life Park owned by Lou Gossett Jr. One of the employees is Dennis Quaid and he along with his Girlfriend are the ones that try to save everyone first from a Baby Shark and after it dies, then from the vengeful mother. It was good that they moved away from Amity and it's not a bad film. It was a 3D Film and the 3D effects on a 2D version looks awful but seeing how it was from 1983, it gets a pass.

Savate

A Western set Martial Arts Movie staring Olivier Gruner as a French Savate Fighter who ends up saving a Village from Developers by winning a competition. Whilst it was a nice change from the usual Martial Arts setting, it really wasn't really any good, can't see myself watching it again.

nosferatu42 22nd March 2021 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just wrote a review of the last 3 films i saw then managed to delete the entire thing by shutting the window....this is why i rarely bother anymore...

Can't take me anywhere.:rolleyes:

Anyway the main point was i watched The Running man and it was a supreme piece of 80's cheese that i absolutely loved, much more than when i originally saw it.:clap:

8/10:pop2:

Attachment 232087

J Harker 22nd March 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 648337)
I just wrote a review of the last 3 films i saw then managed to delete the entire thing by shutting the window....this is why i rarely bother anymore...

Can't take me anywhere.:rolleyes:

Anyway the main point was i watched The Running man and it was a supreme piece of 80's cheese that i absolutely loved, much more than when i originally saw it.:clap:

8/10:pop2:

Attachment 232087

I love The Running Man, a thoroughly underrated effort from Mr Schwarzennegger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd March 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 648340)

Good call. Totally agree.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd March 2021 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dead Ringers (1988)

It can't be denied, Jeremy Irons is unforgettably excellent and deliciously creepy as identical twin gynecologists. He's so effective it really does seem like two actors in the roles. The film depicting how one of the doctors falls in love with patient Genevieve Bujold and the resulting affair destroys the strong psychic bond between the pair with devastating results.

Based on the novel Twins by Bari Wood and Jack Geasland, Dead Ringers is a disturbing psychological thriller that remains chilling even without the usual (until then) Cronenberg gross effects work. A pity because the movie hints at the sterile sexuality of medical fetish but doesn't shock as you might expect from the master of body horror that is David Cronenberg. It does however present the Canadian auteur as a director of real force and also a genuine original in the horror genre.

nosferatu42 22nd March 2021 11:11 PM

This is in my top 3 Cronenberg films, it's all subjective but for me it's Videodrome, Shivers and this.;

Demoncrat 23rd March 2021 12:00 AM

Terror Express (1980, Ferdinando Baldi)

All aboard !!!
One of those super Marxist parables about how the middle class are all dissolute and corrupt :pound:

OR

A right bleedin' sleazy slice of Italian cheese.

Ahem. A diverse bunch fall prey to a trio of scum on the night train (cue Visage hahaha). Cries out for the musical remake :laugh:

Mandibules (2020, Quentin Dupieux)

It's that man again. To say this was his most charming flick yet is saying something, but it is.
Demon goes AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :lol:
Ostensibly the adventures of two friends.
and that's all you're getting, you know the name etc etc etc :lol:
Retroactively tie for best film with Possessor. :nod::nod::nod:

Nordicdusk 23rd March 2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 648340)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My favourite Arnie film.

nosferatu42 23rd March 2021 01:41 AM

Wow i didn't know it had so much love, mines got to be Conan i reckon because of the early age head ****, one of the first films i rented on VHS.