LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2012, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
now watching Christine
I watched Christine for the very first time a couple of months ago.

I really enjoyed it. One of those films that for some reason i had never got round to watching.

It won't be long before i watch it again.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict

People who own the dark.

Supurb movie and one of the best things naschy has been in imo. A bunch of decadent playboys looking for a good time head to a villa in the middle of nowhere for some sadian fun. Nuclear war happens and they must work together to survive. Unfortunatley theres some significant print damage but its still worth picking up from code red before it sells out.
bdc likes this.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I watched Christine for the very first time a couple of months ago.

I really enjoyed it. One of those films that for some reason i had never got round to watching.

It won't be long before i watch it again.
Better late than never!
Old 12th July 2012, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
Better late than never!
In this case i wholeheartedly agree Sawyer.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Faculty (1998)

Robert Rodriguez directs this silly tale of a school being taken over by an alien menace - the alien host living inside familiar people but makes them act weird. It's up to a handful of students to save their school - and possibly the planet - from an alien invasion. It's as ridiculous as it sounds but I rather enjoy it for the mindless entertainment that it is. The Blu-ray from Lionsgate is a stunner - if you like the film it's a worthy upgrade.

The Woman in Black (2012)

Daniel Radcliffe is Arthur Kipps who is sent to Eel Marsh House to deal with the estate. What he doesn't realise is that the place is haunted and that every time someone sees the dreaded woman in black a child in the local village meets an untimely death. It's not long before he invokes the ire of the locals when their kids start dying in tragic circumstances. But rather than be averted from his task, he sets out to solve the riddle.

Not bad actually and I rather enjoyed it - and it's quite creepy in places. This is more like the kind of stuff I'd like to see Hammer doing. Definitely worth a watch.

Burial Ground (1980)

The lure of having this on Blu was too much so I grabbed the Shriek Show disc. It's pure B-movie goodness and I'm a bit of a fan. It's all grue and gore, a paper thin plot, and all round bad acting - but I can't help loving it. The whirly electronica music adds nice atmosphere to a film that has none. The BD transfer possibly could've been better, but it's much better than their DVD release, so no real complaints here. This was shot on a miniscule budget so it's never going to look brilliant - and the fact that director Andrea Bianchi often shoots out of focus doesn't help matters.

If you like the film, the BD is well worth picking up. It's region-free too, in case anyone was wondering.

Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows (2011)

This sequel introduces Professor Moriarty as Holmes' arch-enemy and it's all good fun. Moriarty is planning on starting a world war so he can sell all the munitions he has amassed and reap a fortune, but Holmes has other ideas. I quite like the way they've updated the Holmes mythology and brought him into the 21st Century. He's such a good character it would be a pity to waste him. I must say, I did really enjoy this.

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (2011)

Tom Cruise returns to the role of Ethan Hunt in this breathless sequel that just gets straight in and gets on with it. This is no-nonsense filmmaking and is all the better for it. I still can't warm to Cruise, but at least here he takes second place to the spectacular action sequences. A rogue operative called Cobalt has stolen the launch codes for Russian nukes and is intent on starting a nuclear war. It's up to Ethan and his team to stop him. If you boil it right down, that's the entire plot - but there's enough action and adventure to keep you engaged throughout. Yes, I liked this.

Underworld: Awakening (2012)

This latest entry in the series is a bit of a dead loss. Kate Beckinsale returns to her role as killer Vampire Selene but it's all a bit of a flop. Humans have all but eradicated the Lycans and Vampires - but some Lycans have survived and have hold of a hybrid Lycan/Vampire child and it's up to Selene to stop their evil plan. That's about it. I couldn't really care less by the end of the film. It's mercifully short though, by 75 minutes the end credits are rolling (for an excruciating 9 minutes which I skipped). Not very good, I'm afraid.

Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations (2009)

Sam Reide (Chris Carmack) has the ability to travel through time and observe crimes and then return and identify the perpetrators to the police. His one rule is to never intervene and only to observe, but when he's asked to look into the death of his girlfriend from years previous, he finds himself unable not to intervene, but in doing so alters the future in ways he couldn't possibly have imagined. It's then up to him to put things right again.

An interesting idea, but it's handled a bit clumsily. It's not completely bad, but it's not exactly great either. Passable time waster.

Number Seventeen (1932)

Very early Hitchcock outing and it's not bad, if a bit stagey and over-talky. A man enters number seventeen on an unnamed street, presumably somewhere in London. The house appears desrted, but he encounters a seemingly homeless man - and what appears to be a corpse. And so the mystery begins. Apparently the house is a rendevouz point for some criminals to get hold of some diamonds and flee the country. But there could be a cop in their midst. It all unravels very nicely until the final revelations at the end.

Probably not the most interesting or engaging of Hitch's work, but it's still intriguing. Hitch seems aware that the script is a bit insubstantial, so he plays with light and shadows, and generally is quite experimental, just to keep things interesting. Well worth a look.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:07 AM
Cult Master

images.jpg

Love this film but then again not many Van Damme films i dont like.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:36 AM
Cult Master

walking-dead-season-2-large.jpg

Just seven episodes into this season already worried about the wait between when i see the last episode and when season 3 starts.
DryJack likes this.
Old 13th July 2012, 05:42 AM
Cult Master

The documentary about Mike Tyson

Blimey - he is a textbook psychopath/sociopath!!

Oh, if you're wondering, I'm a fan of WWF wrestling, and I thought this would be a similar kind of thing. How wrong I was!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th July 2012, 09:47 AM
Active Cultist

Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness
Old 13th July 2012, 10:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Another excellent selection of mini-reviews there, Daemonia – please keep these coming as they are good to read.

Like this? Share it using the links below!