Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I enjoyed it in parts, but found it less entertaining than the original. To my surprise the best part for me was Rooney Mara's performance which I didn't think I would enjoy as Noomi Rapace for me embodies the role. I also found this film harder to follow even though I knew the story. Hope the sequels are a bit better.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched jaws last night on bluray. Beautiful looking and the sound wasn't
lacking either. Packed with extra's,will get through them another time.
Loved seeing it again,it had been awhile. Pity the doc's weren't in hi-def but
still nice to have them. Well done universal on a great JAWS blu.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Time for one last movie before I'm back to staring at four empty walls for another week. No I'm not being sent down, just renting a flat with no internet and no dvd access. Anyway, this time it's -
THE SEVENTH CURSE - A true marvel of HK whackiness. Possibly not as spiritually twisted as the likes of 'The Boxer's Omen', nevertheless a demented ride around the cartoon angles of a cheap fairground of gleefully knocked off movie fragments. This one throws in some rip-off eighties adventure action a la 'Indiana Jones' along with classic prosthetic VHS era horror and gore and follows the ordeal of a doctor who travels to Thailand in an attempt to rid himself of a curse which causes squibs to explode from his veins. The originator of the curse is a mad Phil Oakey lookalike who harbours a weird foetus-ghost "made from the blood of 200 children" and is the leader of a 'worm tribe'. All manner of psychotronic craziness abounds, including a really hard skeleton who mutates into a Ridley Scott type Alien copy and an eruption of worms which must've been stolen from the secret archive of Lucio Fulci.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:17 PM
Active Cultist

The Disappearance of Alice Creed, 2009
Red Light, 2012
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I ventured out to see Dredd at the cinema - it's a total blast! Spoiled only by the ropey 3D which, considering it was not optional and added 1-50 to the ticket price really pissed me off and is putting me off going to support this marketing policy in the future. Still, re Dredd I loved the grungy futuristic setting, the non-stop cartoonish gore, the self-awareness without making a mockery of the genre and, forgive me, I fell head over heels in love with Judge Anderson!
Tbh a lot of 3d isn't as affective as ppl like to think you do get certain scenes that stand out in some films but some people think 3d is al about coming out at you and it isn't it's also about depth,
Totaly honebeware opening and closing ceremony of the Olympics that was more than impressive Totaly outstanding the best use of 3d I've seen by far, I didn't recorded the opening in 3d just watched wish I had but recorded the closing kept it and showed people who come round and go on about 3d and showed them this and everyone is Totaly go smacked at how good it was,
Handyman Joe likes this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 02:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Time for one last movie before I'm back to staring at four empty walls for another week. No I'm not being sent down, just renting a flat with no internet and no dvd access. Anyway, this time it's -
THE SEVENTH CURSE - A true marvel of HK whackiness. Possibly not as spiritually twisted as the likes of 'The Boxer's Omen', nevertheless a demented ride around the cartoon angles of a cheap fairground of gleefully knocked off movie fragments. This one throws in some rip-off eighties adventure action a la 'Indiana Jones' along with classic prosthetic VHS era horror and gore and follows the ordeal of a doctor who travels to Thailand in an attempt to rid himself of a curse which causes squibs to explode from his veins. The originator of the curse is a mad Phil Oakey lookalike who harbours a weird foetus-ghost "made from the blood of 200 children" and is the leader of a 'worm tribe'. All manner of psychotronic craziness abounds, including a really hard skeleton who mutates into a Ridley Scott type Alien copy and an eruption of worms which must've been stolen from the secret archive of Lucio Fulci.
Yes THE SEVENTH CURSE is one crazy film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
bdc and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:51 PM
Ex-member

saw BABY BLOOD on horror channel last night
w/Eng siubs as expected and the film itself is very good
seen it before and the lead actress is very sexy despite the gap tooth!
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:27 PM
Cult Addict

Ah, yes. Feed me your love for Dredd.
Feeed meeee Sssssiners!!!!

I'm turning into Judge Death arn't I?

DVD and BD collection
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:45 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tbh a lot of 3d isn't as affective as ppl like to think you do get certain scenes that stand out in some films but some people think 3d is al about coming out at you and it isn't it's also about depth,
Totaly honebeware opening and closing ceremony of the Olympics that was more than impressive Totaly outstanding the best use of 3d I've seen by far, I didn't recorded the opening in 3d just watched wish I had but recorded the closing kept it and showed people who come round and go on about 3d and showed them this and everyone is Totaly go smacked at how good it was,
For me, the only outstanding 3D I've seen this year was Prometheus - Ridley Scott had the nous to use it to inspire ideas (the scanning technology for example) rather than just having it there to put one image on top of another image for the sake of it. The weird thing is, when I saw Beauwolf in the Imax a few years ago I was blown away - 3D possibilites seemed endless, but we seem to have gone backwards since then. almost as if, perish the thought, its become a last minute add on to make extra cream off the top. I accept I'm being cynical and Hollywood would never stoop so low.
Can't believe I didn't mention the soundtrack on Dredd - just fantastic, and really carried the movie for me.
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Skeleton Key

was'nt expecting much but pleasantly surprised,a good cast with Kate Hudson and John Hurt,nicely shot,not bad for a £1
The Skeleton Key [DVD].jpg
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!