Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Dumb and Dumber, you know it makes sense
Never!
Rik likes this.
Old 28th September 2012, 06:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The mood today was European and serious, a double-bill of Fassbinder's early gangster film Love Is Colder Than Death and Tarkovsky's Solaris, courtesy of Criterion's liquid smooth Blu, like seeing the film for the first time...

Old 28th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Never!
perhaps madam would prefer the Bottom

210175.1020.A.jpg
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:18 PM
Active Cultist

Here's some things I've seen recently and my thoughts upon said things

The Killing - Not the Danish one with the lady in the jumper, but the early Kubrick - it's pretty good apart from a dumb voiceover telling you whats going on (Eminem spoofed this in the Guilty Conscience video I now realise) and a racehorse being shot. Not dissimilar to Riffifi with the same fatalistic, we're all doomed (especially criminals) vibe.

Hotel - Yet again, 3rd time in a year. What is it with this movie? Saw through it's technique this time - every shot is simply held for about 20 seconds longer than necessary - yet it still spooks me. There's a scene which simply shows the lead actress in an old fashioned dressing gown bending over, except the framing cuts her head off and it seems shot in a weirdly elongated way - inexplicably shivery.

Paranorman - 3rd cinema visit in as many weeks and it's still all good. I loved this, although its probably scarred my mates kids for life. Never thought I'd see Cannibal Apocalypse referenced in a kids movie. Either we're living in strange times or i'm getting old - probably both. One moan - why didn't they follow through on the 'seeing dead people' angle - those early spectres were hilarious, especially the mobster still in his concrete 'boots'!

Strip Nude for Your Killer - Hmmm. I've been on a 'classics' kick lately so thought I'd add a bit of roughage to my diet and watch this piece of shucht. All i remember is a succession of luridly coloured underpants and breasts. Lots of breasts. They don't make them like this anymore, thank Christ.

Wages of Fear - Now you're talking, what a film - just oozes atmosphere for the first hour and tension for the second. I think it's all a descent into hell, complete with inferno and devilish twist at the end but you'll be too gobsmacked to notice at the time. French actors & directors circa 1950s were incredible - Les Diaboliques, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Riffifi and now this - any other recommendations most welcome.

Barfly - Mickey Rourke's performance here is something else, I can't decide whether it's his best or worst. Looks like he's got a mouthful of cotton wool in his gub, a la Brando and he adopts a weird stooped gait for the entire movie - and what's that accent about? Jack Nance is in it! So is Frank Stallone! Catfight between Faye Dunaway and a snobby blonde bird at the end briefly stirs the torpor. Actually I quite like this film for all its drunken tottering.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
perhaps madam would prefer the Bottom

Attachment 82230
Warmer! Although I'm not quite sure myself but The Comic Strip Presents box set has been brought down to the den, along with Drive-In Cult Classics and SCTV.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Wages of Fear - Now you're talking, what a film - just oozes atmosphere for the first hour and tension for the second. I think it's all a descent into hell, complete with inferno and devilish twist at the end but you'll be too gobsmacked to notice at the time. French actors & directors circa 1950s were incredible - Les Diaboliques, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Riffifi and now this - any other recommendations most welcome.
Fantastic list Joe, have you seen William Freidkin's Wages of Fear update Sorcerer ? Incredible film...this needs a Blu-Ray immediately...

Old 28th September 2012, 07:38 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Fantastic list Joe, have you seen William Freidkin's Wages of Fear update Sorcerer ? Incredible film...this needs a Blu-Ray immediately...

I haven't seen it but would love to. Apparently Freidkin is in the last stages of a legal battle with Paramount (I think) to get the film released. It seems it was made under dodgy tax conditions and now the studio wants to bury it - arseholes. Lets hope old Wullie wins the case!
Old 28th September 2012, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's taken me years of false start and abandoned screenings but I'm finally enjoying the films of Jean Rollin, courtesy of the Redemption/Kino Blu's - I watched Rape of the Vampire yesterday afternoon, on the hop from work, and it's a strange and magickal film if you can tune into Rollin's peculier wavelength...

Old 28th September 2012, 09:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I finally succumbed and bought the German Steelbook of The Boondock Saints this evening on the way home. The Blu-Ray of the film is accompanied with a DVD of Overnight the documentary about director Troy Parker.

The film is much better than I remembered, perhaps I have mellowed with age?

The German Blu-Ray is English friendly as one might expect for a U.S. film and it is possible to turn off the German subs completely (even for onscreen text). Only downside is the trailer for Red Tails the most recent Lucas travesty.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Warmer! Although I'm not quite sure myself but The Comic Strip Presents box set has been brought down to the den, along with Drive-In Cult Classics and SCTV.
Its gotta be a Bad News double bill for sure.

Like this? Share it using the links below!