Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2013, 12:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

Tonight I watched the deliriously mental ELIMINATORS starring Miss Crosby who must assist a Mandroid to stop Mad scientist Abbot Reeves (played by the excellent Roy Dotrice) from using his Time machine to take over ancient Rome. They are assisted by Andrew Prine () playing the han solo character and Conan Lee playing a Ninja.
Seriously....Mandroids, Ninjas, mad scientists and time travel all produced by Charles Band.
I actually pity the person who isn't curious enough to give this one a go. It's actually pretty good as well. It takes itself seriously enough to be entertaining and doesn't give a shit about plausibility or logic. Just what sounds cool. As a result the whole thing is insane and fast paced with lots of action.
So far the that's two for two on the 4 movie sci-fi marathon!
You're right about 'Eliminators', it's hugely enjoyable, fast paced 80's cheesy entertainment. Really like Andrew Prine in this ( and 'Simon, king of the witches', which is well worth seeking out), did anyone notice him in 'Lords of Salem'?
You didn't mention the cave men though, i loved this film as a 10 year old and
was worried i wouldn't still like it but shouldn't have as i really enjoyed it again when i revisited it.
It's the kind of film a 10 year old would wish for ,just get all the good stuff, mix it up and see what happens. 8/10
I also have the sci-fi marathon, 'Arena' was enjoyable too in the the same kind of way, but not quite up to 'Eliminators' standard.7/10
America 3000 is pretty bad, but is still entertaining if you're in the right mood.5/10
Haven't got round to watching 'The Time Guardian' yet though.
Great set though if you're a fan of dodgy 80's b movies. Although the transfer quality could be improved a lot on most of the films, but it wasn't too expensive so i'm just glad i got a copy of 'Eliminators'.

Brings back good memories for me, i used too have a poster of this on my wall at one point, also had Demons, Fright night and the original poster for Return of the living dead, all courtesy of the local video rental stores. Good times.

rld.jpg
This is my favourite Return of the living dead cover.
Old 27th November 2013, 08:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
You're right about 'Eliminators', it's hugely enjoyable, fast paced 80's cheesy entertainment. Really like Andrew Prine in this ( and 'Simon, king of the witches', which is well worth seeking out), did anyone notice him in 'Lords of Salem'?
You didn't mention the cave men though, i loved this film as a 10 year old and
was worried i wouldn't still like it but shouldn't have as i really enjoyed it again when i revisited it.
It's the kind of film a 10 year old would wish for ,just get all the good stuff, mix it up and see what happens. 8/10
I also have the sci-fi marathon, 'Arena' was enjoyable too in the the same kind of way, but not quite up to 'Eliminators' standard.7/10
America 3000 is pretty bad, but is still entertaining if you're in the right mood.5/10
Haven't got round to watching 'The Time Guardian' yet though.
Great set though if you're a fan of dodgy 80's b movies. Although the transfer quality could be improved a lot on most of the films, but it wasn't too expensive so i'm just glad i got a copy of 'Eliminators'.

Brings back good memories for me, i used too have a poster of this on my wall at one point, also had Demons, Fright night and the original poster for Return of the living dead, all courtesy of the local video rental stores. Good times.

Attachment 125078
This is my favourite Return of the living dead cover.
Thought i'd leave a few surprises for people watching so never mentioned the cave men. (or the death ray)

Have seen Simon king of the witches, also Centerfold girls and numerous other Andrew prine cult classics.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

watched superman unbound and born on the fourth of july. only problem i have with superman unbound is the animation form but apart from that it was brilliant. born on the fourth of july was a masterpiece, oliver stone's directing skills are perfect and both tom cruise and willem defoe both gave some of their greatest performances.
keirarts and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devil Hunter and Satanic Sisters. Yes, he's back on the Franco.

Truly poles apart....I now think DH is Al Cliver's best role.
And the trangressive nature of SS is only offset by Jack Taylor's massive mush. Cthulhu knows what it was like to see that boat looming at you from a cinema screen....can anyone provide a suitable anecdote??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th November 2013, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Scott Spiegel's excellent Intruder last Saturday night. Love this movie. The Blu-ray release from Synapse is top notch.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mortuary (tobe hopper)

God that's 90 minutes of my life I will never get back again, my fault people did warn me. 2/10
Old 27th November 2013, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Mortuary (tobe hopper)

God that's 90 minutes of my life I will never get back again, my fault people did warn me. 2/10
Old 27th November 2013, 11:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Watched Scott Spiegel's excellent Intruder last Saturday night. Love this movie. The Blu-ray release from Synapse is top notch.
Agreed. One of the last best '80s slashers before things generally started to become parodies and 'self-aware' in the dismal '90s.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:58 AM
Active Cultist

Watched Eastern Promises last night, did not know anything about it had completely slipped under my radar but wow what a great film, only thing was i was left wanting more, could of done with an extra 30-40 mins i think
Old 28th November 2013, 09:53 AM
Cult Addict

Received a 5 film Bela Lugosi collection yesterday, was unsure as to wether i'd ever seen The Raven so i gave it a whirl and must say i really enjoyed it.
I can't remember ever seeing this before and although not as good as The Black cat it was still a great vehicle for the talents of Lugosi and Karloff.
Lugosi is a Poe obsessed surgeon who develops an obsession with a young woman, when denied her love he decides to kill her and her fiancee and father.
This is were Karloff comes in, on the run for murder he asks Lugosi to change his face, Bela obliges by making him disfigured and compels Boris to do his evil bidding and in return will make him look better again.
This all comes to a head in a basement filled with Poe inspired instruments of torture.
Lugosi is great in this, really quite twisted and menacing, while Karloff gets sympathy from us for his plight echoing his performance in Frankenstein during a few moments.
The only downside is that considering Lugosi is supposedly a Poe fanatic he still manages to get key Poe facts completely wrong.
Oh and also in Pendulum scenes how come the swinging blade always seems to be really close to the body one moment, then the next second not so near.
All in all a solid film with great performances from the two terror titans. 8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!