Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2012, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

3D has been imposed on us by the studio's in an attempt to (i) convince us its worth going back to the cinema (ii) provide television manufacturers with a new opportunity to sell us 3D Tv's and related blu-ray/DVD boxes and (iii) make it more difficult to pirate. The former is unlikely and the latter misses the point that most pirated media is a result of an insider with access to masters. I truly hope that 3D turns out to be a fad, it is the worst thing that has happened in cinema for a long time.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 27th December 2012, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I'm done with 3D too (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland were more than enough). 'Oooh but it makes films so much more immersive!' Immersive my ass, all it does is provide a distraction from the actual film. Good films are immersive enough for me in 2D thanks . . .
I dont think 3D is a fad either but it is a gimmick that will be around for a while at least. Ive been watching movies for over 40 years (that I have memories of!) and have not needed anything other than what floats my boat to sell a movie to me....in 2D! I can see the appeal, your mind being tricked into thinking the screen contents are tangible, but surely once that gimmicks done then what?

Ill stick my money on 2D films, that I dont have to wear glasses with! But each to their own and thats what makes the world an intersting place.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:02 PM
Cult Addict

Soul Taker (Via MST3K 1001)- What a truely dull movie. Thank god for Mike and the Bot's.
Please excuse my husband he has a tendency for saying things he doesn't really mean. "I like fudge." "You don't mean that!"
Old 27th December 2012, 05:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Candie View Post
3D is one of the worst things that's happened to film. i don't think it's a fad but i wish it was.
the only 3D movie i've tried to sit through was avengers and i walked out of the theater one hour in
the 3D sucked so bad it gave me a headache the movie was the worst movie ever made and i expected it to suck.
i will never try to watch another 3D movie again but as long as the real filmmakers have the
common scenes to not use that crap it won't bother me.
Avengers is post converted 3D. It was not filmed in 3D thats how 3D is getting a bad name. Lazy directors not filming it in 3D.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 27th December 2012, 05:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Is there? I must of missed that one! Is it reeeaaaallllyyyy dreadful...as in...dont bother at all no matter how curious you are?
It is indeed, its directed by John mctiernan of all people and its total crap. Made in 2002 it stars chris Klein in james caans role and is a sloppily directed mess that should embarass the director of Die hard and Predator to his dying day. It even has a chase scene shot in night vision because someone thought it would look visually dynamic. Dreadful, Dreadful movie.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
It is indeed, its directed by John mctiernan of all people and its total crap. Made in 2002 it stars chris Klein in james caans role and is a sloppily directed mess that should embarass the director of Die hard and Predator to his dying day. It even has a chase scene shot in night vision because someone thought it would look visually dynamic. Dreadful, Dreadful movie.
oh and heres the imdb link if your still curious.

Rollerball (2002) - IMDb

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th December 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I think I once caught half of it on TV, which was half too much from what I can remember
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th December 2012, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cracked open my region free Panny blu player yesterday and put on the Criterion BD of Army of Shadows - one of my faves, which gets better with every rewatch. It's a film that ticks the boxes for me on every front - acting, directing, script/story, score etc. A thrilling, riveting, disturbing and sad film.

The PQ was superb and I'm working my way through the extras, which have been very good so far. The disc comes highly recommended and I'm glad it was my first Criterion BD purchase.
nekromantik likes this.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The lack of a 2D release is cited as one of the reasons Dredd failed. Meaning audiences have had enough of 3D.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Avengers is post converted 3D. It was not filmed in 3D thats how 3D is getting a bad name. Lazy directors not filming it in 3D.
It's not the directors being lazy, it's the studios being greedy. Joss Whedon clearly had no intention of The Avengers being in 3D but Disney realised how much extra they could make if they converted it. See also Del Toros upcoming Pacific Rim which is being post-converted against his request. 3D gets a bad name because of the light loss, the extra premium paid for the 'pleasure', the fact that it automatically excludes those with eye problems, the fact that its a distraction and takes you out of the film as you're more conscious of sitting in front of a screen. Post-converted or filmed in 3D, it doesn't change the fact that 3D just doesn't work. It's been and gone in the past and will do so again when more and more people get fed up with it. It's a f---king stupid way of fooling your eyes into accepting perspective on a flat surface plain, something film directors have been doing better for years with depth of field.

It is a fad as it always has been. And I cannot wait for it to die off again.

Like this? Share it using the links below!