All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2013, 09:42 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Not that I'm trying to influence your children's viewing or anything Rik, but I recently came across this list made by the BFI, which lists 50 films to see before the age of 14:

BFI list of the 50 films you should see by the age of 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are still a few on there that I haven't seen myself.
Terrible list, I'm flooding my kids with excessive violence. Arnie's first CONAN film is a big hit with my 6 year old boy. The ex Mrs MTDS was concerned that he would be desensitised to violence but since he does a non-sporting, combat form of ju jitsu, he understands the difference between real and non real violence.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Terrible list, I'm flooding my kids with excessive violence. Arnie's first CONAN film is a big hit with my 6 year old boy. The ex Mrs MTDS was concerned that he would be desensitised to violence but since he does a non-sporting, combat form of ju jitsu, he understands the difference between real and non real violence.
Yeah, I get shit sometimes from my kids' mum due to the fact I let our youngest boy of 5 play the Left 4 Dead games on the Xbox, I'm just preparing him for the impending zombie apocalypse, that's all
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th July 2013, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not that I'm trying to influence your children's viewing or anything Rik, but I recently came across this list made by the BFI, which lists 50 films to see before the age of 14:

BFI list of the 50 films you should see by the age of 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice to see Whale Rider on the list i enjoyed that.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I recently watched all three of those "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo gets Endlessly Arse Raped" films. Pure exploitation dressed up in subtitles and moodiness. I kind of like the fact that this kind of tripe is considered worthwhile viewing compared to say, ISOYG by the general public. I know which film has more depth and compassion...
Just finished watching the English version of "...Dragon Tattoo" troggi's mate not read subtitles!

Monster Magnet
Old 27th July 2013, 10:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Just finished watching the English version of "...Dragon Tattoo" troggi's mate not read subtitles!
Nearly f'got, it was okay I guess, I'd have much preferred to watch "Red Cliff" or "Deathwatch" tonight but "Casualty wasn't on so herself wanted to watch a film! What c'n y' do, eh?

Monster Magnet
Old 28th July 2013, 01:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nice to see Whale Rider on the list i enjoyed that.
After studying Whale Rider at school, I'll never be able to watch it again without being in an almost constant fit of laughter, same with To Kill A Mockingbird.

Sad what repeated studying of scenes and lines does, when you all you can think about is mockeries of them.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 28th July 2013, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights (Saturday) films:
OXV: The Manual - Brilliant British/Australian Science-Fiction (with Q&A with the films Australian director). Recommended.
Animals - Disturbing Spanish film about a boy and his teddybear.
Mistaken for Strangers (with a Q&A from the director and producer) - the brother of The Nations lead singer goes on tour with the band. Great documentary.
The Other World - Richard Stanley's documentary exploring his occult experiences in France (with an introduction by Richard and film composer Simon Boswell playing music from Santa Sangre and Dust Devils).
Devil's Rook - terrible horror gore-fest.

Check my diary thread for more details.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th July 2013, 07:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

On the subject of films for kids,I'd really recommend Invaders from Mars (1953).
Old 28th July 2013, 07:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Deathwatch (2002)

Had high hopes for this one,but after a good start it,like the group of soldiers,slowly starts to lose it's way...ending in a big "meh" finale...

I'll quote an Imdb reviewer:
"Lots of Potential But Gets Lost in the Trenches"
troggi likes this.
Old 28th July 2013, 09:04 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I think is a really good list with a really broad overview of films from different eras and genres, giving children a film education so they would hopefully grow up appreciating silent films as well as those with numerous digital effects, documentaries and classic foreign films, so subtitles shouldn't be an issue in later life.

Like you, I haven't seen several of those on the list, but they are on my own 'to watch' list.

Like this? Share it using the links below!