All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2013, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Visitors (2003)

With a good cast, Radha Mitchell, Susannah York and Dominic Purcell. Visitors, a film about an Australian woman on a round the world sail boat journey, could have been a quietly effective little horror film. Unfortunately the script gets it all wrong.

The film begins with Mitchell a good way into her epic journey and instantly plunges the viewer into a feeling of unease. Immediately you are part of her plight, then the film cuts away in flashback sequences to before the sail and her life as she prepares. The rest of the film is fragmented in the same way. Any time tension builds up it instantly dissipates via a flash back, and completely ruins the viewers journey. By the end of the film you couldn't care less if events were all in Mitchell's mind as she struggles to cope with the constant isolation or if it was all brought on by her accidentally killing a crow which landed on her yacht, her own little albatross, so to speak. Its all a shame really as Radha Mitchell is a decent actress and likable woman who carries the film almost single handed, and deserved a better thought out screenplay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b0000c504k01ss500sclzzzzzzzv65936131my8.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 18th August 2013, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Exterminator 2 (1984)

I'd not seen either Exterminator film until this year. After loving the first one i was delighted when Shout Factory released the sequel as part of a four film set.

Unfortunately Exterminator 2 isn't a patch on its predecessor. Whereas the first film was all about Robert Ginty's antihero, too much of Exterminator 2 is taken up by Mario Van Peebles and his rather faceless gang of villains, instead of the more interesting Ginty character. In the end all this did was turn the film into another Death Wish rip off with nothing much to make it memorable.

No wonder there wasn't a third film in the series after this wasted opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exterminator-2-poster.jpg (72.5 KB, 3 views)
sawyer6 and troggi like this.
Old 18th August 2013, 05:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Demoniacs (Blu)... Jean Rollin films always present a challenge for this viewer, and his 1974 film, about two dreamy blonde castaways set upon by a bunch of sadistic ship-wrecking pirates is a maddening uneven brew - essentially an old fashioned adventure yarn along the lines of Fritz Lang's Moonfleet, but with lashings of nudity and sex. Had Rollin been a better film maker Demoniacs might have become a truly disturbing piece of European Fantastique, but the film is ultimately undone by some amateurish performances and ham-fisted editing. Nevertheless this darkly erotic film exerts a strange power over the viewer and the striking visuals will linger with you for days afterwards. The region-free Redemption Blu looks very nice...

Old 18th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights film was Who Dares Wins a film that I think perfectly captures its time. In some ways Zero Dark Thrity is similar - a very long build up to the money shot - the raid on the terrorists - which is over in a flash. "Could you do that again, it was a bit fast for me". Indeed.
troggi likes this.
Old 18th August 2013, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

Took my boy to watch Disneys Planes this afternoon. And I really enjoyed it. Much much better than Pixars Cars from which it is a spin off.
troggi likes this.
Old 18th August 2013, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tokyo gore police
Very, very sick and gory and has to be one of the most weird films I've seen. Really makes you think how strange the Japanese are. 6.5/10

Trick r treat

Has too be one of the best anthology horrors I've seen in a long, long time, ranks it up their with creepshow, tales from the crypt and amicus films etc. has my new favourite horror icon now, makes Freddy,Jason Myers etc look like a bunch do pussy wimps. 9.5/10. This is one that's definitely being watched again on Halloween

Now next either the hand, fade to black or this night I will possess your corpse.
Old 18th August 2013, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Repulsion - Repulsion sits comfortably in my top ten films of all time, there are two films that have managed to frighten me as an adult, one is Lynch's 'Inland Empire' the other is 'Repulsion'. The direction is masterful and after a couple of viewings, little things take on more importance, I still think there's something 'off' in the family photo and I'm still undecided if Carole's psychosis is down to sexual repression or some kind of assault. It's just a brilliant film I'll never get tired of, I've watched it at least five times and it still unsettles.
Old 18th August 2013, 08:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome (2013) Hmmm! Was there a point really!

From 1940:
My Little Chickadee
A Chump At Oxford
Tin Pan Alley a bit of toe tapping to the old songs!
Santa Fa Trail Revisionist Hollywood history!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post359732
sawyer6 and troggi like this.
Old 18th August 2013, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Tokyo gore police
Very, very sick and gory and has to be one of the most weird films I've seen. Really makes you think how strange the Japanese are. 6.5/10

Trick r treat

Has too be one of the best anthology horrors I've seen in a long, long time, ranks it up their with creepshow, tales from the crypt and amicus films etc. has my new favourite horror icon now, makes Freddy,Jason Myers etc look like a bunch do pussy wimps. 9.5/10. This is one that's definitely being watched again on Halloween

Now next either the hand, fade to black or this night I will possess your corpse.
Keep meaning to watch 'Tokyo gore police' looks interesting.
I really like 'Trick r treat' too, one of my favourite modern films.
I have fond memories of watching 'The hand' on T.V when i was a kid, read reviews since that didn't rate it, but i still would like to pick it up sometime.
I really enjoyed 'Fade to black' myself although you never hear much about it. Lots of references to old classic films in the killers outfits and i couldn't help identifying with him being a film freak myself. ( has quite a nice Marilyn Monroe lookalike too.)
As i said previously that one is my favourite Coffin Joe film but in my opinion whichever one you pick your'e on to a winner.
troggi likes this.
Old 18th August 2013, 09:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

All Ladies Do It aka Così fan tutte (1992). Directed by Tinto Brass.

This is a film about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791). It contains: an abundance of female posteriors, lots of pubic hair, adultery, and sodomy. Yuck!

Verdict: appalling and revolting.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!