Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2013, 04:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
You really made that Goatman film sound fantastic. Expect it to pop up alot in peoples pick ups posts

It will be in mine soon too
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Buyer beware" at £3 in Asda y' can't go wrong. It is very sick, gore and blood drenched and the end sequence...

The whole film did have me laughing...a lot (except the ginger penis, that was just, er, just...unjust)!

I picked this up today.

The Amazon reviews are brilliant. They loathe it. People are up in arms because the killer slaughters a bus load of blind folk.

Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

This is why i avoid looking at dvd's in Asda.

The lower reaches of the chart are populated by unknown horror films, fancily dressed in their slip cases, some even with lenticular sleeves, and all at stupidly affordable prices.

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.
troggi likes this.
Old 12th June 2013, 04:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I picked this up today.

The Amazon reviews are brilliant. They loathe it. People are up in arms because the killer slaughters a bus load of blind folk.

Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

This is why i avoid looking at dvd's in Asda.

The lower reaches of the chart are populated by unknown horror films, fancily dressed in their slip cases, some even with lenticular sleeves, and all at stupidly affordable prices.

Please do a review as soon as you watch this sounds great.
Old 12th June 2013, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Please do a review as soon as you watch this sounds great.
Will do.
Nordicdusk and troggi like this.
Old 12th June 2013, 04:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

I know, it's like there's an odd little market for this sort of thing
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 12th June 2013, 05:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I know, it's like there's an odd little market for this sort of thing
They are soooo tempting as well.

I managed to escape with just two, the other being the latest Resident Evil film which i didn't know had a slipcase.

I need to check out some reviews for a few of the others i noticed there.
troggi likes this.
Old 12th June 2013, 05:44 PM
Cult Addict

i'm quite tempted to start a review page entirely for the cheapjack straight to home video shite thats on the shelves at asda...
Old 12th June 2013, 06:20 PM
Cult Addict

Do it now, we all need to know about those films that look shite but are worth watching (coming from a big fan of 70's & 80's horror who sat through so much shite to get that 1 good film). I'm not very up 2 date with new stuff so need a recommendation 4 the new stuff that's worth watching.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Zann like this.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
i'm quite tempted to start a review page entirely for the cheapjack straight to home video shite thats on the shelves at asda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Do it now, we all need to know about those films that look shite but are worth watching (coming from a big fan of 70's & 80's horror who sat through so much shite to get that 1 good film). I'm not very up 2 date with new stuff so need a recommendation 4 the new stuff that's worth watching.
Yes please.

100%

It would be the best thing on here at the moment.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Being a bit of a sucker for cheap and chearful horror i thought i'd let you know about Blood Bath. A 12 movie collection from Mill Creek.

Being a fan of westerns and seeing this film starred the great character actor from classic American westerns Jack Elam i thought i'd start off with Uninvited (1993). The film begins with seven cowboy types being lead through a forest by their guide, a very grizzled looking Elam. This sequence played out during the opening credits, at the end Jack decided he wanted no more and that was the last we saw of him - three minutes. The film itself is set around a haunted gold mine apparently, but Uninvited turned into a very dull character study played out by bad actors using an even worse script. The production values were ok but very little happened and there's no way i'll be watching it again.

Tom Savini came next with Demonic (2006). Some teens leave London to take a break in the country but find themselves menaced by bloodthirsty creatures in the forests. Being British, the film isn't populated by American high school stereotypes which came as a blessing. In fact the whole opening third was pretty enjoyable. Then came darkness and the horror. I hate horror films which have you constantly staring at a black screen for what seems like ages. Demonic unfortunately excelled at this. When Savini is introduced as the local back woods psychopath his scenes are so poorly lit you wouldn't know it was him. The film soon becomes very boring as watching a black tv screen and listening to screaming soon becomes very repetitive.

My hopes were not particularly high for Hallowed (2006). A cheap rip off from a certain John Carpenter film. Witnessing his father murder his mother causes ten year old Gabriel to lose his sanity and be institutionalized. Twenty years later, he's released into society much to the annoyance of his Doctor. Hallowed is actually a very good film. Clocking in at around the sixty five minute mark it never outstays its welcome and remains fairly interesting throughout. Gabriel as an adult is a sinister Bible thumping young man who decides a local girl should learn religion the nut bag killer way. The acting and camera work is very good for a very low budget film keeping the characters believable and sustaining tension. Despite being a cheaper production than the first two i watched, Hallowed proved a far more satisfying viewing experience.

Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine (2003) A German production from the notorious Olaf Ittenbach. A director who makes his fellow countryman Uwe Boll seem like David Fincher. Whilst a slight step down from Hallowed, Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine still proved an enjoyable watch. The production values were higher than the previous three films combimned i would guess. The film has a fairly high gore quotent and comes to a climax as a group of armed Police officers are brutally slaughtered by the demons haunting Rebecca in an abandoned commune. Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine is decent fun but you find yourself waiting for the next bloody murder most of the time.

Shadows of the Dead (2004) A couple looking for a romantic getaway discover a body close to their woodland retreat. What seemed like a fun weekend turns into a horrific nightmare. Well at least for the first hour. The couple's problems begin when they realize the lad no longer has a pulse which i found interesting. The local doctors want to keep him in hospital unsurprisingly but the duo make a getaway. After a bit of hanky panky the girtl discovers she too no longer has a pulse then my interest started waning. What had begun as an interesting plot with breezy fun characters turned into a turgid "woe is me" gloomfest as the couple turn on each other and decide the best way to solve their problem is to shout loudly at each other. A lot. A few scenes of gore towards the end can't make up for a promising premise that turned out rather disappointing. For a rather better example of this film watch Return of the Living Dead 3.

British actress Fiona Horsey turns up in The Twisted Sisters (2006). Essentially a reworking of the Brian DePalma film Sisters, Horsey plays a young woman suspected by Police of murdering several people around London. As with all these films The Twisted Sisters is made on a micro budget. However here the budget has been wisely put to use with some nice location work around the capital including some fun scenes on the London Underground. The film is well directed and Horsey is a watchable actress, making The Twisted Sisters the best of the six films so far.

Below are the initial dvd covers for the films as they all had previous releases outside of this set. Some of them are going for silly money on Amazon.

More reviews to come.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81BxEDx2NsL._SL1077_.jpg (101.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 51GRB6VXGXL._SX342_.jpg (25.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 51PJH49N18L._SX342_.jpg (31.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 51YD3D1GV1L._SY445_.jpg (37.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 51OlRMLodJL._SY445_.jpg (33.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 41FRMHD0ANL._SY445_.jpg (27.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 41nzG5+pYxL._SY445_.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th June 2013, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I can relate.

The last modern horror I gave a chance was Inbred with the bloke off Emmerdale...just terrible

Like this? Share it using the links below!