All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2013, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I thought it played on the emotions in a very dignified way. Absolutely sentiment and schmaltz free, just very honest and simple. I don't mind admitting I've shed the odd tear in many a film over the years but this one got to me in a different way.
Blimey, I'm a huge softy when it comes to The Elephant Man and I'm not afraid to admit it.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:28 PM
Cult Addict

The scenes where Michael Elphicks scheming comes to fruition were heartbreaking and almost unbearable to watch. Which is impressive given that nothing that horrific really happens.
Wes and troggi like this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The scenes where Michael Elphicks scheming comes to fruition were heartbreaking and almost unbearable to watch. Which is impressive given that nothing that horrific really happens.
Yep, incredible, the cruelty of it... Another scene I love is when Anthony Hopkins' character first gazes upon John Merrick and his eyes fill with tears. Fantastic bit of acting from Hopkins (not overdone) and incredible lighting by Freddie Francis to capture that on b/w film...
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:20 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

BITCH SLAP! Which is what I'm gonna do as I hunt down ever person involved in this shitefest. Yes, we know you love grindhouse and sleaze but what you miss out is the singular vision that makes great exploitation the mindf*ck it can be.

TUFF TURF. This is better, a mind melting mix of "Rebel Without a Cause" and "Ferris Beuller's Day Off". James Spader is pissed off new kid in town, wilfully looking for trouble in a psychopathic, narcissistic way to channel his parents disapproval of him. Spader is f*cking great, all wedge hair and arrogance pushing his own agenda even as all around him suffer for his acts, his dad and best friend get shot, his girlfriend beaten up but that doesn't stop his floppy haired will to power Hell no, he just gets really hard and mean taking out all the baddies in a wildly over the top ending. Add excessive scenes of 80s American teens dancing, The Jim Carroll Band playing the local club with Robert Downey, in pre-jnr days, playing drums for them and you have one of the best 80s teen drama/musical/comedies ever. I shit and cum at the same time so good is this film.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I shit and cum at the same time so good is this film.
This should be on the DVD sleeve. Who could pass this up after such an endorsement...
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Naked lunch
Surreal and very very weird with great acting all around, blurs the line between realty and fantasy. Burroughs who I didn't know anything about appears a very tragic and dark figure 9/10

Star Trek into the darkness
Improves on the first movie. everyone has settled nicely into there characters apart from pegg who I just don't like as Scotty don't why. Like nods too the originals . A rip roaring adventure that has you on the edge of your seat find cumberbatch khan a lot more believable and human character than ricardo montalbans version. Definitely a bromance movie. 9.5/10

The berserker
Awful acting, story and special effects not worth the 1.49 I paid for it 2/10

Hammer house of horrors silent scream

Great acting from Cushing and cox in this chilling tale with a twist. Must of had a effect on me as I can still remember watching this when I was a child and it was first aired, was terrified of the windows in my house for weeks. 9/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd September 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Recent Bluray viewings included:

A Field in England I love this film (more detailed thoughts can be found on my diary thread review of last weeks screening at Fantasy Film Fest Hamburg). I also ordered Down Terrace from Amazon.com to complete my Wheatley collection.

Corman's World a great documentary that I first saw at last years Fright Fest in Glasgow. Recommended for fans of Corman.

Spring Breakers Really disappointed by the latest offering from Harmony Korine which lacks the intelligence and transgressive nature of his earlier films instead providing a pretty bland crime-thriller that could have been made by almost any other director working in Hollywood today.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, incredible, the cruelty of it... Another scene I love is when Anthony Hopkins' character first gazes upon John Merrick and his eyes fill with tears. Fantastic bit of acting from Hopkins (not overdone) and incredible lighting by Freddie Francis to capture that on b/w film...
Agreed. Best performance I've seen Hopkins give. Very subdued which meant there was real impact there when he does snap and lose it with Elphick.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The berserker
Awful acting, story and special effects not worth the 1.49 I paid for it 2/10
Is that Berserker Hells Warrior which is dreadful or The Berserker from 1988 which is a bit of cheezy fun?
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that Berserker Hells Warrior which is dreadful or The Berserker from 1988 which is a bit of cheezy fun?
The 1988 one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!