All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2013, 08:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also THE CALL was good. Took a lass to see that and she really enjoyed it!
I wanted to go see this heard decent things about, told wife she like nah doesn't apeal to me, because I was treating her to the pics she had the choice and wanted to see sunshine on leith because its a musical, any how as she come home from work she said someone I know just been pics and saw a film and REALY enjoyed it can't remember the name, so she gave her a ring and guess what is was the call, wouldn't go on my recommendation but on someone else .. Women ! Any how we both enjoyed thought it was quite decent.
PaulD likes this.
Old 5th October 2013, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly
TEXAS CHAINSAW.

Ludicrous sequel to the original TCM. Even as a stand alone film, this is bloody poor. To top it all Leatherface looks shite. Avoid at all costs.

Totally agree absolutely awful, couldn't agree more about leather facebook more comical and type of mask we would buy out of a joke shop than a scary character?
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 5th October 2013, 09:06 AM
Cult Addict

Day 2 of grimmfest.

MY AMITYVILLE HORROR: A documentary on daniel lutz. Sheds some new light on amytiville and a facinating look at the legacy it left on mr lutz. This is well worth checking out if amytiville holds any interest for you.

SMILEY: Shite.

The plan: a wee bit pretencious. Short film fortunately.

ANTISOCIAL: very entertaining and new take on the zombie film. Great score. Well worth watching.

HELLRAISER 2: NUFF SAID.

THE GUEST. Fun snappy role reversal short.

JUG FACE. Creepy and origional. Produced by lucky mckee this is another musy buy for me.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 5th October 2013, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tony, thought this well a very good and well made film, not much REALY happens very slow paced with limited of anything, gore violence action etc, but despite the slowness it keeps you interested and watching, only downfall I had with this is as if they weren't sure how to end and there was no real ending so felt like as if they just cut it short and the ending is missing..
troggi likes this.
Old 5th October 2013, 09:45 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken me so long to watch this film. Truly remarkable and pretty much my ideal film. Highly recommended.

TROPIC OF CANCER. I'm not really a fan of Henry Miller, but I love late 60s early 70s cinema, so quite enjoyed this film based on Miller's book. Of course, it is nowhere near the the high end filth of Miller's book and fails to translate Miller's lust for life from word to image. Interesting if nothing else.
Old 5th October 2013, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

Completely agree with you on 'Valerie', such a beautiful film.
troggi likes this.
Old 6th October 2013, 12:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My last visit to the Hamburg Film Festival for 2013 was to see Filth which I believe has been on general release in the U.K. for a couple of weeks. I liked it, but not as much as I would have liked. McAvoy is great, it has brilliant moments (I always do them up the arse, pussy is for queers must be my favourite line of dialogue for 2013) but too few. I guess this is a book which isn't really suited to film adaptation. My major disappointment - Jim Broadbent who doesn't seem able to decide where his character is supposed to be from (I assume Australia from the accent he kept slipping in and out of).
troggi likes this.
Old 6th October 2013, 02:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Filth

Arrived home from holiday with a dose of jetlag, so the OH and I decided to wander down to the local fleapit to watch the evening performance of Filth, as we knew we wouldn't be falling asleep early.

Being a fan of the book, I have to admit some disappointment - but the film isn't a total failure. Good points: McAvoy is a fine in the lead, and it's nice to see such a clean-cut actor grime up and get nasty. The film has some fine pitch black humour and an element of pathos, and it goes someway to capturing the book's tone and spirit.

However.. it takes huge liberties with the text, omitting much of what made the book so special. I wouldn't say it's that difficult a text to adapt, but it would need a rather more experimental director. Jon Baird, whose previous credits include directing the football hooligan drama Cess, and producing yet another football hooligan drama, Green Street, simply isn't that man. Gone is the tapeworm that inhabits Bruce Robertson's bowels in the book and later becomes our reliable narrator to Robertson's sorry backstory; instead this position is filled by his doctor played, awkwardly and somewhat irritatingly, by Jim Broadbent. Gone is the rampant racism of the book, another failure resulting in a half-assed ending (the full twist of the book is only half-done in the film, and Robertson's racism of the book is accounted for by its end.) Gone are many of the book's delightfully dirty vignettes (such as the two dog scenes), while many of the book's hilarious jaunts and flittered over and its characters softened. Additionally, Robertson's "games" are far more convoluted, scheming and entertaining in the novel.

Films often take liberties with texts, and I still enjoyed this very much, but it left me wishing it had a more edgy and risk-taking director. Also, despite many reviews commenting how "filthy" the film is, I didn't find it so - perhaps because the book is so much more grubby.
Old 6th October 2013, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quite a few so keeping it short

The lords of Salem

Heard very mixed things so wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it, some great visuals and genually creepy. 8.5/10

Four flies on grey velvet.

Have to agree with it being painful slow in places but still enjoyed it, not his greatest but certainly no Dracula 7/10

Bird with crystal plumage

Great, a classic 9/10

Any which way you can

Lot of people didn't seem to like theses movies, but I do lots a fun with lots a interesting and funny characters 8.5/10

Mr vampire 10/10 nothing more to say

The new barbarians
A whole lot of cheesy fun. 9/10

Prince of darkness

One of my favorite carpenter films 10/10

Casshern
Mesmerising and stunning to look at, might be a tad on the long side, crying out for a blu ray release in which it would look stunning 8.5/10

Mind ripper

Ok lot worse ways to spend 90 minutes 6.5/10

The unseen
Genually creepy and end up feel sorrow for the creature, for me the real monster was the father 7/10

Alone in the dark
Why have I never seen this fanatsistic film before, great and atmosphere and acting, glad to have it in my collection 9.5/10

The Bronx warriors
Obvious Italian rip off of the warriors and escapers from New York but enjoyed it, is it just me or do the warriors seem like refugees from the village people. 9/10

Violent cop
Absolutely gripping, takeshi is truly a talented actor and director, looking forward to watch the two other films in the boxset boiling point and sonatine 9.5/10

Well watching my first Jess Franco film in the form of Dracula prisoner of Frankenstein
Old 6th October 2013, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken me so long to watch this film. Truly remarkable and pretty much my ideal film. Highly recommended.
I've been wanting to see this for ages. Looks really eerie!
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!