All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2009, 04:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Damn! I wish I had this channel!
It has some really obscure stuff. Sadly much of it is in REALLY bad quality.
They had the super rare "Blindman" on, but the print was almost unwatchable it hurt the eyes so much. Widescreen which was good, but that just made everything even smaller and more blurred.

Many of the westerns are bad prints actually. But you simply won;t see some of this stuff anywhere else.

Another channel worth a look is the 'Unexplained' channel (formerly the 'Supernatural' channel) that has rubbish 'true' supernatural tosh and psychic arse for the most part but often has some obscure old sci-fi/horror films on in the afternoon (like "The Crawling hand") and then a cult horror film on at night.
They've had "Mountain of the Cannibal God", "Demons", "Demons 2" and "Driller Killer".
Old 16th November 2009, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
i just found this video mixtape it has arrow and cultlabs advertised at the beginning

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=100289263

I think that is Sam's Myspace page.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 16th November 2009, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponga View Post
Memories of Murder

This movie directed by Bong-Joon-Ho and for my opinion it's
one of the best Asia film of all time! Before I see I know it's
good movie...but after I've finished it...this movie better than
my expected.

Present day I think Korean filmmakers are the best in Asia.They combine mainstream-film with art-film together and that make it's original!

Highly recommend!
"Memories Of Murder " is one of the Korean films that really got me hooked on the films from that country. I have to agree that the quality of Korean films has certainly improved over the past decade. The thrillers in particular are hard hitting and completely engrossing.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 16th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I just watched Don't Go in the House as I now (finally) have an official DVD release. A nice and grubby little slice of 80s nastiness!
Old 16th November 2009, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

ROGUE,an enjoyable addition to the killer croc theme.
Greg Mclean really knows how to incorporate that Aussie landscape into his films.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I just watched Don't Go in the House as I now (finally) have an official DVD release. A nice and grubby little slice of 80s nastiness!
That one scene is certainly a superb one, and very well done.
But it sticks out in a film that otherwise mostly refuses to show much exploitative at all and bogs down in badly crafted night club scenes.
Luckily the finale is nicely macabre.

That one sequence though, is still astonishingly nasty and exploitative!
Old 16th November 2009, 09:11 PM
Ex-member

"The Mummy" (1932)

Iconic make-up, top notch performance by Boris Karloff, some nice set design and cinematography...and quite frankly not much else.

Out of all the 'Classic Universal Monster Movies' "The Mummy" has not only dated the most, it's also the least entertaining and theatrically stodgy.
The Mummy himself famously only appears looking like an actual Mummy (Im-ho-tep) during the opening, most effective part of the film as far as any horror aesthetic goes, scenes where he comes alive, steals a scroll and sends the only witness into lala land upon the soundwaves of much superbly over the top mad laughter.

From here though the film falls into a slumber deeper than that of it's bandaged icon. Only Karloff (now playing a talking and un-bandaged Mummy, but given a lovely 'wrinkled' make-up by the great Jack Pierce) and a surprisingly less hammy than usual Edward van Sloan give us anything interesting to focus on as a ridiculously fast, soppy as hell, romance and much talk now dominate the movie.

No more Mummy action is forthcoming and the 'love across the ages' plot involving Karloff's Im-ho-tep and (the very theatrical but fun) Zita Johann as his reincarnated Princess.
But it lacks any real horror, has little action, soppy support characters and is quite simply not much fun.

Wonderful 2 disc DVD though with lots of good extras, including excellent "Universal Horror" documentary.

"Miracle Mile"

Nothing can compare to how I first saw this film many years ago.
It was an unknown entry into a UK, all night, Horror film festival and none of us knew what the hell we had been given during the light comedy romantic opening as we meet Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham
Then a phone call happens...and suddenly Anthony Edwards' character, and the audience, are propelled on a very different course as we, like Edwards, have to deal with the knowledge that perhaps, just perhaps, World War 3 has broken out and the missiles will soon be flying.

From here on we are expertly moved from romantic comedy, to black comedy, to deadly serious drama and epic tragedy as what Edwards' character may know sets off a chain of events that engulfs many, well played, support characters as he tries to get back to his new love Winnigham and escape the coming apocalypse that may or not be coming.

Mixing harsh language, romantic voiceover, love story, violence, light comedy and action "Miracle Mile" is amazing enough for the fact it got greenlit at all, let alone completed and released (no matter how small that release sadly was) and this mix, plus the about turn the film does from its opening 10 minutes, took the hardcore horror crowd I watched it with by surprise and I will never forget the sight of two leather clad biker types in the row in front of me wiping away the tears at the end of the film! Where normally there were hoots of appreciation, or howls of derision, from any hardcore crowd of horror fans at the end of a film..here there was only a bizarre silence, broken only by hushed whispers of surprise and praise.

As such, the film benefitted from that introduction in a way that I felt was missing on this DVD viewing and the film does lose something away from such a memorable projection setting.
But it does remain effective and is quite unlike any other film on the way it handles its subject.
Shamefully obscure and unloved...this is certainly a must see film for anyone at least once and will remain fondly in my heart because of that wonderful first exposure i had to it so many years ago.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I agree re The Mummy. Great opening 15 mins ("He went for a little walk") but then it just gets drippy & boring. Can't for the life of me understand why it's 15-rated today.

Ditto for Don't Go In The House. Over 3 mins of cuts last time and all to the opening murder. Still a fringe BBFC title today. The middle section is hopelessly draggy though and only the Maniac-style ending saves it.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:56 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I agree re The Mummy. Great opening 15 mins ("He went for a little walk") but then it just gets drippy & boring. Can't for the life of me understand why it's 15-rated today.
I can't understand the '15' either.
I assume it's actually for the extras. But I can't see anything there either!
Actually "The Invisible Man" is more violent and generally nasty and that only gets a '12'.

Re: "Don't go in the House". Sadly the newer anamorphic DVD cuts off much of the full frontal nudity during that sequence.
But is is intact on the older, cheaper, full screen DVD.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Universal horrors are still among my favourites. The Wolf Man and The Invisible Man rule the roost for me.

Love The Black Cat too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!