Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i watched this, very funny

and this prequel to cube, this was better than the cube 2 but not as good as cube

Old 24th November 2009, 01:07 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Wow.

This is more like it! This is my kind of flick.

Imagine, if you will, someone had their first use of a "film blender" and hurriedly and almost randomly threw in ingredients from The Wicker Man, Let's Scare Jessica To Death, The Crazies, Dead And Buried and then the zest of some Lovecraft stories and then turned on the mixer. By more luck than judgment these ingredients gel perfectly and the result is a winner.

This is Messiah Of Evil.

Probably not for all tastes; this is slow, sedate, oneiric, thoughtful, ponderous even. Acting is of the unnatural, distant, dream-like kind and there is a cold feel to the atmosphere. But this all works. It draws you in despite the distancing effects of the production (ref: David Cronenberg) and a number of scenes are genuinely chilling.

This is an absolute gem of a film and thank Jah for the loving restoration by Code Red. This film deserves it. Very highly recommended.
Old 24th November 2009, 01:41 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just finished this, awesome film

Old 24th November 2009, 07:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
and this prequel to cube, this was better than the cube 2 but not as good as cube

Exactly what I thought.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:21 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Wow.

This is more like it! This is my kind of flick.

Imagine, if you will, someone had their first use of a "film blender" and hurriedly and almost randomly threw in ingredients from The Wicker Man, Let's Scare Jessica To Death, The Crazies, Dead And Buried and then the zest of some Lovecraft stories and then turned on the mixer. By more luck than judgment these ingredients gel perfectly and the result is a winner.

This is Messiah Of Evil.

Probably not for all tastes; this is slow, sedate, oneiric, thoughtful, ponderous even. Acting is of the unnatural, distant, dream-like kind and there is a cold feel to the atmosphere. But this all works. It draws you in despite the distancing effects of the production (ref: David Cronenberg) and a number of scenes are genuinely chilling.

This is an absolute gem of a film and thank Jah for the loving restoration by Code Red. This film deserves it. Very highly recommended.
Yeah, I love the pace in this too Gojirosan. The scene in the movie theatre is especially intense. Plus, as you stated, Code Red have done a great job with this.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:21 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:

Love this film - glad you enjoyed it mate.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:22 AM
Ex-member

Quote:

Good isn't it?
Strong stuff.

Brit flick "The Children" managed to pull off the same disturbing effect by how its grown up characters have to face doing the unthinkable to survive.

I've had the DVD for about a year, but not watched it yet.
I've had the old pre-cert VHS for years though and watched it a number of times.
I must watch the DVD though to check out the longer opening movement (as well as the atrocity/mondo footage) and see if it works as well as the much shorter, tighter, International edit on the VHS.

I must pick up "Messiah of Evil"! After reading about it in "Nightmare USA" it perked my interest.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

the atrocity/mondo footage was horrible and even though i understand why it was included i don't think it should have been! but thats just me cuz i hate to see that kind of thing unless its a documentary about the subject.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, it goes on way too long in the full version too!! You feel weak, then the damn film starts! ha.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Yeah, it goes on way too long in the full version too!! You feel weak, then the damn film starts! ha.
yep, horrible

imjust watched this thank you BE

a good film but i could have done with more violence, on the upside there was loads of boobies

Like this? Share it using the links below!