Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
pure cinematic onanism
SOLD!

Demoncrat likes this.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:11 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

BABA YAGA. Fantastically dated and perhaps out of date for it's time, I love this film. My only criticism is the ending were it switches from dream weirdness into supernatural thriller.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I've been frantically rewatching all my Mad Men blu rays in prep for Season 5 on Tuesday (My God I love this show - if you're swithering, go for it, you won't regret it, see also Breaking Bad for the best entertainment currently available) Anyway, I did fit in a long delayed first viewing of Amer. WTF!
Is this a movie or an art installation? I found myself split in two here - I loved the visuals, style, music etc but geez guys, how about a semblance of a narrative? just some indication that all these fancy flourishes eventually fit together a'la Mulholland Drive. I don't know, maybe they do, I've only seen it the once, but It sure seemed like pure cinematic onanism to me. Will definitely rewatch this, although I get the feeling it may be best appreciated in little chunks rather that the full 90 minutes.
I really liked Amer for having the guts to be what it is - just a gratuitous explosion of style. Interested to see what the makers do next.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Giallo
Thought this started out ok...but to be honest, by halfway through, Adrien Brody's 'acting' was getting on my nerves, some of the set pieces had become laughable and it was a struggle to sit through to the end. Another dud from Dario, I'm afraid.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:39 AM
Active Cultist

This weeks vintage Saturday morning horror was the 1920 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Amazing. Get through the first 25 interminable minutes of drawing room chatter and you are treated to a succession of the best scenes silent horror had to offer (Chaney's phantom and Schreck's Nosferatu notwithstanding). Hyde prowling around an opium den surrounded by actual leprosy victims, the hat removing pointy head reveal, the giant spider, the childs unsentimental battering courtesy of Hydes cane, the mind boggling John Barrymore transformation scenes. Truly one of the horror greats and supplied with a weird, chintzy end of the pier organ score on my cheapo Dark Vision DVD!
Old 24th March 2012, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Giallo
Thought this started out ok...but to be honest, by halfway through, Adrien Brody's 'acting' was getting on my nerves, some of the set pieces had become laughable and it was a struggle to sit through to the end. Another dud from Dario, I'm afraid.
I was going to watch this last night too but I'm being put off by all the negative reviews, I will give it a watch to make up my own mind but I'm not holding out much hope for it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Giallo
Even ignoring that it's made by Argento, it's just not a great film. I had the feeling that the script had been lying around since the post "Silence of the Lambs" serial killer trend. It felt very early 90s to me, the decade that shunned horror.
Old 24th March 2012, 01:48 PM
Ex-member

saw BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW on the Horror Channel last night
best thing about the film was Linda Hayden nude
Old 24th March 2012, 02:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
saw BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW on the Horror Channel last night
best thing about the film was Linda Hayden nude
It's a great British Hammerlike film IMO, pretty risqué for it's time too, each to their own I suppose
mark meakin likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th March 2012, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Scream 4.....not bad actually
The Driller Killer....This film is nasty....cheap and nasty

Like this? Share it using the links below!