All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2014, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
100% disagree
Agreed. Great film and I'm off to see the sequel in a minute.
Old 6th April 2014, 05:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Agreed. Great film and I'm off to see the sequel in a minute.
Thought it was more in the mould of the director's previous film THE ROCKETEER as pulp adventure on the big screen.
Old 6th April 2014, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
ATCOTD. How did you find it then?

Watched Let Me In (Matt Reeves, 2010, Momentum UK dvd). Mate kept pushing this onto me (unbeknowst to me at the time that he hasn't seen LTR1I!!). Typical US spoonfeeding of the plot, I missed the cat attack, the CGI grated (as twas so obvious) and blah blah blah. Watched this the same night as The Mechanic. And yes, I've given mate the original.
Really enjoyed it. Will do a little bit more of a review later, hope someone like arrow will bring this film out on blu ray. 9/10
Old 6th April 2014, 08:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1953:

Titanic - A bit of a soap opera to begin with but once the berg hits its not too bad!
The Wages of Fear - The blurb on the box says 'One of the best action movies ever made' I have to say I'd disagree with that. Overlong and just didn't hold my attention!
From Here to Eternity - The winner of the Best Picture award at the 26th Oscars, not bad but not great either!
Tarzan and the She Devil - Barkers last Tarzan and really not anything new.
Summer with Monika - Igmar Bergman's story of two runaways who escape their lives and flee to the country, fall in love, have a child and are ultimately forced to return to civilsation where their relationship breaks down is quite a good movie.
Genevieve - Classic British comedy that still makes me laugh.
The Earrings of Madame De - Unlike Max Ophuls ealier 'La Ronde' and 'La Plaisir' this isnt a tryptich, and for me this suffered because of that. Frankly it bored me!
The Moon is Blue - Otto Premmingers and United Artists attempt to release a movie in the US without an approval code! Using such dialogue as 'Mistress', 'Pregnant' and shock-horror 'Virgin' it opened the vice like grip of the Breen office if only a little.
Tokyo Story - Not a lot happens but its far from boring.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Great movie musical with some classics scenes.
The Robe - The first movie to be released in cinemascope, a biblical tale that shows the Emperor Tiberius as a more kindly man rather than the perverted one that he was, and Jay Robinson is at his sneery best! Plus it has a great score from Alfred Newman.
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms - Classic monster movie thats short (1h 16m) but never drags!
Beat the Devil - A European movie that stars Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Robert Morley and Gina Lollobridgida. However to me Bogart seemed out of place. This did bore me and left me thinking what a load of tosh!
Old 6th April 2014, 08:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Kalifornia - not seen this for years and, sadly, it hasn't aged particularly well. There are elements of the film that have really dated, such as the hokey voice-over, and David Duchovny's performance is so bad it nearly kills the whole film! Thankfully, Brad Pitt's gurning, snorting serial killer is a lot more interesting and it's a performance that walks the thin line between inspired and ridiculous. All in all, I did enjoy seeing this again but it's certainly not the fascinating insight into the mind of a serial killer I remember it being 20 years or so ago!

Sling Blade - I'm not quite sure this achieves the epic status it strives for but I enjoyed it a lot, not least due to an amazing performance from Billy-Bob Thornton as the simple-minded killer trying to adapt to life on the outside. Despite some truly incredulous moments ('hey mom, I just met this bloke on the street' .... 'that's nice son, why doesn't he move into the garage?' ), the plot is really engaging and there is an underlying tension due to the feeling that Karl is a ticking timebomb, despite his sedate exterior. Recommended
keirarts and anythinggoes78 like this.
Old 6th April 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Wages of Fear - The blurb on the box says 'One of the best action movies ever made' I have to say I'd disagree with that. Overlong and just didn't hold my attention!
The Wages of Fear is a gripping thriller and I think it's one of the all-time great movies. Have you seen Sorcerer, William Friedkin's brilliant but sadly overlooked and underappreciated remake?
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Wages of Fear is a gripping thriller and I think it's one of the all-time great movies.
We on about the same movie? Gripping is hardly a word I'd use, in fact the only part that really grabbed my attention was Yves Montand running over his mate in the pool of oil! As for Sorcerer, nope not seen it but will track it down!
Old 6th April 2014, 11:36 PM
Cult Addict

A few evenings ago I watched the original The Fly. No point going into the story as I'd be amazed if anyone didn't at least know the basic plot but for me this is a classic. I hadn't seen it for about 20 years and though I recall enjoying it first time around revisiting it was a real pleasure. I've watched Cronenbergs remake half a dozen times and while it's a great film I believe the original has the edge. The story feels more tragic in this one with the brilliant scientist being a devoted family man as opposed to Jeff Goldblum's frankly oddball recluse. 20th Century Fox's blu is also a great disc with a great 45 minute Vincent Price doc and a cracking transfer.

Then tonight I went to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier. One of Marvels best I thought. An improvement on the decent original and a huge improvement on Thor: The Dark World. Few silly ideas and such but hey it's a comic book movie.
Old 7th April 2014, 06:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
We on about the same movie? Gripping is hardly a word I'd use, in fact the only part that really grabbed my attention was Yves Montand running over his mate in the pool of oil! As for Sorcerer, nope not seen it but will track it down!
Have to agree with Nos, one of the most gripping films I've seen in a long time, I was on the edge of my seat from the moment they started the ignition on the trucks.
Haven't seen Sorcerer myself either but will soon. The US digibook Blu has started to get posted out already although not due out for a couple of weeks
keirarts likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 7th April 2014, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All the colours of the dark

First time I have seen this and it will not be the last, interesting supernatural giallo with some great set pieces, a eerie atmosphere, wonderful score and twist ending. Hoping arrow or someone else bring this to blu ray. 9/10

Anthropophagus

Really couldn't get into this found it to be boring with unlikable characters. A few minor highlights that didn't save it from being average , not hard to see how it got its reputation because of that one very unsettling scene. 5/10

Horrible(absurd,Anthropophagus 2)

Enjoyed this a lot more had for me a more enjoyable ( but silly) story of a man experimented on by a priest . which ends up turning the subject in a psychotic manic who has regenerative abilities and can only be destroyed by destroying the brain. 8/10

Insidious
Creepy and effective haunted house/ possession film with some good chills which is let down by the laughable "monster" . 8/10

Captain America the winter solider

Not hard to see why people are praising this as the best marvel movie to date, interesting story and a more real world film than the other marvels, but that didn't stop it being a gripping , exciting and action packed ride from beginning to end. Loved the little Easter egg of pulp fiction. Thor 2 is probably still my favourite marvel movie, but this is a very close second 9.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th April 2014 at 11:20 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!