Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2014, 07:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this a couple of weeks ago. Then decided not to watch the other three films in the set for a while.
Make sure you have a stiff drink by your side.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is the full uncut version. There is also an alternate 'topless' european scene as and extra bonus !
Old 19th July 2014, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Moe was a great character. A shame she was killed off.

Have you seen the Gene Hackman remake? I like it, it's a fast moving stylish action thriller. Deserving of a watch if you haven't done so already.
I was just thinking the Hackman remake was a grest film and one I haven't seen in yonks.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Non-Stop (2014)

Go to action hero of the moment, Liam Neeson, stars in this gripping, yet at times ludicrous tale of an air marshall and the possibility the flight he is taking is under terrorist threat. Lovely Julianne Moore provides credible support.

It would spoil it for those who haven't seen it to go into the plot intricacies, however Non-Stop is one of those films which ratchets up the tension every ten minutes therefore masking many of the plot loopholes and allowing those willing to go along for the ride an intense, palm sweating movie experience.

Great fun and a recommended watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Non_Stop_6Sheet-518x777.jpg (77.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th July 2014, 10:21 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I'm working through my MoC Collection 1 by 1 I've just watched Sunrise

Sunrise is such a great film.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:36 PM
Cult Addict

Rise of the planet of the apes.

Decided to watch this in anticipation of Dawn of the planet of the apes which i'm either going to see tomorrow or Monday.

This one seems to hold up to repeated viewings and was the biggest surprise film since the A-team movie directed by Joe Carnahan.
Given the mess that was the Tim Burton remake, I had zero confidence in this films. Only to be pleasantly surprised to find an intelligent well crafted blockbuster that really stands out from a lot of the generic crap we get peddled.
Better yet, re-visiting it is a pleasant experience. Hopefully the new one will hold up just as well.

Under the skin.

New it was going to be 'odd' but the lure of Scarlett's baps in HD was too great. Surprisingly decent if somewhat baffling science fiction film set in modern Scotland.
Scarlett is playing an alien in a hot girls body cruising around Scotland and seducing men back to her pad where they get consumed by black tar.
For a large portion of the Film the lovely alien is going through the motions looking for prey, until she looks in the mirror and begins to discover shes developing a personality and desires.

I've found Jonathan Glazer to be hit and miss up till now. Sexy beast was a hit and birth a bit of a miss. Under the skin is a hit. He's managed to craft an excellent if occasionally baffling midnight movie that's sure to develop a following.
I can envisage a certain sub section of punters hating this films guts which sort of adds top the appeal for me. Certainly up there with El topo and Eraserhead for me.
Looks astonishing on blu-ray I wish my local cinema had the balls to show this.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 4/5

I liked this a bit more than the last one, and the production design seemed heavily influenced by The Last of Us.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

See now Mr K, for all its faults I really like the Tim Burton version.
Old 20th July 2014, 12:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Hard Times (aka The Streetfighter)

Excellent Charlie Bronson film. It's hard to believe Charlie was in his fifties when he made this flick - he was in amazing shape.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:44 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Moe was a great character. A shame she was killed off.

Have you seen the Gene Hackman remake? I like it, it's a fast moving stylish action thriller. Deserving of a watch if you haven't done so already.
I haven't seen it - there's a few noir remakes that look interesting - I think Night Moves is another on my to do list. This mania is driving my wife crazy, it's like we've got a black and white tele!

While I'm here, saw Private Hell 36 last night. Steve Cochran again, as a bent cop in thrall to, you guessed it, a no good dame (Ida Lupino owned these roles). Slow for the first 40 I thought, then from the pretty impressive car crash on, I was gripped. Nice solid flick from Don Seigal.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:50 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Rise of the planet of the apes.

Decided to watch this in anticipation of Dawn of the planet of the apes which i'm either going to see tomorrow or Monday.

This one seems to hold up to repeated viewings and was the biggest surprise film since the A-team movie directed by Joe Carnahan.
Given the mess that was the Tim Burton remake, I had zero confidence in this films. Only to be pleasantly surprised to find an intelligent well crafted blockbuster that really stands out from a lot of the generic crap we get peddled.
Better yet, re-visiting it is a pleasant experience. Hopefully the new one will hold up just as well.

Under the skin.

New it was going to be 'odd' but the lure of Scarlett's baps in HD was too great. Surprisingly decent if somewhat baffling science fiction film set in modern Scotland.
Scarlett is playing an alien in a hot girls body cruising around Scotland and seducing men back to her pad where they get consumed by black tar.
For a large portion of the Film the lovely alien is going through the motions looking for prey, until she looks in the mirror and begins to discover shes developing a personality and desires.

I've found Jonathan Glazer to be hit and miss up till now. Sexy beast was a hit and birth a bit of a miss. Under the skin is a hit. He's managed to craft an excellent if occasionally baffling midnight movie that's sure to develop a following.
I can envisage a certain sub section of punters hating this films guts which sort of adds top the appeal for me. Certainly up there with El topo and Eraserhead for me.
Looks astonishing on blu-ray I wish my local cinema had the balls to show this.
Said it before, for me Under the Skin is the first out and out classic to be released in the past 10 years, possibly my fav since Mulholland Drive. In both cases you've got a plot that needs re watching (a plus in my book) a great soundtrack, unique visuals, sexy woman plus a genius director - movie heaven!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!