Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2014, 09:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

BOO - A vengeful spirit stalks an abandoned hospital in 'Boo', which comes courtesy of a former editor of Fangoria. 'Boo' is pretty standard fare really, although it is enlivened by some gloopy effects work and an increasing sense of slight ludicrousness. It's riven with clichés and mediocrity, but stumbles over into genuinely 'bad film' territory often enough to sometimes seem quite interesting. Take some of the imagery for example - a strangely Carpenterian 'Thing' type dog, there for no reason but to throw in a special effect - ditto for the floating clown with maggots dropping to the floor from its hollow insides. Then the performances - individually the actors are obviously OK, but in concert during scenes of high-panic-in-the-face-of-the-supernatural, they seem ridiculously mal-coordinated. A few apparently pivotal scenes just don't seem to make any sense, either. But I approve of all this kind of stuff, it's one in the eye of 'proper' filmmaking. Despite its shakiness in some areas, 'Boo' actually boasts decent production values and rocks a pretty atmospheric overall look, odd moments of rubbish CGI being the only visual awkwardness on display. 'Boo', then - not very good at all, but rolls past quickly and manages to entertain by being a bit wonky. I enjoyed it, anyway.
Old 29th November 2014, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Irrefutable Truth about Demons. (2000)

Karl Urban stars in this horror from New Zealand. A film about a professor who debunks myths regarding satanic cults and how his life changes for the worse when he receives a video tape from a cult calling themselves the Black Lodge. The tape seemingly shows his recently dead brother amid scenes of demonic ritual.

This was quite an enjoyable watch. Urban is quietly effective as the professor and nailed his performance as a man losing his grip on reality. The cult are a bit too cyber goth which was the only thing that placed this film in this century as it really belonged in the demonic haze of the early seventies, but it's leader Le Valliant comes across as Anton LaVey crossed with MTDS and certainly has that pointy beard twirling seventies vibe.

The abstract realities blur with real life and leave us with an often gory cornucopia of general wierdness, although Anton LaSlowly is never too far away from proceedings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizedimage420600-newposter.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 29th November 2014, 10:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Irrefutable Truth about Demons. (2000)

Karl Urban stars in this horror from New Zealand. A film about a professor who debunks myths regarding satanic cults and how his life changes for the worse when he receives a video tape from a cult calling themselves the Black Lodge. The tape seemingly shows his recently dead brother amid scenes of demonic ritual.

This was quite an enjoyable watch. Urban is quietly effective as the professor and nailed his performance as a man losing his grip on reality. The cult are a bit too cyber goth which was the only thing that placed this film in this century as it really belonged in the demonic haze of the early seventies, but it's leader Le Valliant comes across as Anton LaVey crossed with MTDS and certainly has that pointy beard twirling seventies vibe.

The abstract realities blur with real life and leave us with an often gory cornucopia of general wierdness, although Anton LaSlowly is never too far away from proceedings.
Never heard of it. Will have to check it out.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BOO -
I really couldn't get to grips with Boo. I bought it as soon as it came out as well. Very disappointed with it.

I think i was going through my extreme horror days. Well, extreme as in Hostel, High Tension etc, rather than August Underground.

I'll put it in my wishlist again and the next time i splurge on penny movies i'll pick it up and give it a re-watch.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:55 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BOO - A vengeful spirit stalks an abandoned hospital in 'Boo', which comes courtesy of a former editor of Fangoria.
Maybe the generally negative reception to this is why Anthony C. Ferrante is now content to make the Sharknado films, which have a much lower level of expectation and greater margin for error!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe the generally negative reception to this is why Anthony C. Ferrante is now content to make the Sharknado films, which have a much lower level of expectation and greater margin for error!
Was he editor or just a writer?

I know he edited Cinescape but not Fangoria.

I notice he wrote House of Bones which was pretty terrible as well.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Was he editor or just a writer?

I know he edited Cinescape but not Fangoria.
I can't find anything to say he edited Fangoria and, as far as I know, the only editors have been Bob Martin, Tony Timpone and (current editor) Chris Alexander.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't find anything to say he edited Fangoria and, as far as I know, the only editors have been Bob Martin, Tony Timpone and (current editor) Chris Alexander.
Thought so.
Old 29th November 2014, 01:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got back from watching Mary Poppins at the cinema with my youngest son, he loved it seeing as it's one of his favourite films, I on the other hand thought it was a massive achievement that I only nodded off twice during it, can't bloody stand it!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th November 2014, 02:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I really couldn't get to grips with Boo. I bought it as soon as it came out as well. Very disappointed with it.

I think i was going through my extreme horror days. Well, extreme as in Hostel, High Tension etc, rather than August Underground.

I'll put it in my wishlist again and the next time i splurge on penny movies i'll pick it up and give it a re-watch.
I got it for 50p, which goes a long way towards explaining why I found it fairly enjoyable, I think if I'd paid 'proper DVD £' I would've been pretty disappointed.

I thought Ferrante edited Fango at one point, but was obviously confused about this.

Dem, where is this 'Bloodsucking Freaks' review? I'm curious to know what you made of this epic bit of foulness!
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!