Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2014, 06:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I tried watching this on Netflix once, lasted as long as F I think before I turned it off out of pure boredom
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Same here, think I only managed to get to D.
Guys i couldn't agree more, the only reason i got to the end is because I'm building and painting a games workshop figure and couldn't be arsed to get out of my blanket to move. Netflix need better films and they desperately need to shake of that third rate shit they call a festive film collection. i don;t even think the pound shop could shift some of those Xmas films...
Old 17th December 2014, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

KISS OF THE VAMPIRE
One of Hammer's best non -Dracula vampire movies features good performances and one of the very best climaxes to a Hammer horror. I've been impressed with Final Cut's Hammer output so far, though I don't think this print is quite up to the standard of their previous releases. Great film though.

LOVE AND DEATH IN THE GARDEN OF THE GODS
Not a traditional Giallo in the 'black gloved killer 'mode, this one is more of a psychological drama, concerning the apparent incestuous relationship between brother and sister, told in part flashback from the character of Erika Blanc, whose attempted suicide at the beginning of the movie sets the wheels in motion. Needless to say, all is not what it seems, leading to deception and murder. It's a slow moving but enjoyable film, with a lovely dvd print from Film Art.
Old 17th December 2014, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bleeding House (2011)

Bought this from Poundland the other week, decided to give it a spin tonight.
Here's the plot summary from IMDb:

A stranger with mysterious intentions comes to stay the night at a secluded country home, but what he finds inside is a family torn apart by a violent past and a secret more deadly than he expected.

Typical low budget rubbish I really should know better than to buy/watch, I spent the entire 86 minutes running time trying to figure out what I should've spent that £1 on, maybe a One Direction book, or a new pen, 2 pints of milk, a multibag of crisps, the list is endless....

Some decent practical effects, but overall a boring, predictable film that is extremely amateurish in all aspects. 4/10

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th December 2014, 08:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HOLLYWOOD HOT TUBS
HOLLYWOOD HOT TUBS 2
BABADOOK
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th December 2014, 08:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Bleeding House (2011)

Bought this from Poundland the other week, decided to give it a spin tonight.
Here's the plot summary from IMDb:

A stranger with mysterious intentions comes to stay the night at a secluded country home, but what he finds inside is a family torn apart by a violent past and a secret more deadly than he expected.

Typical low budget rubbish I really should know better than to buy/watch, I spent the entire 86 minutes running time trying to figure out what I should've spent that £1 on, maybe a One Direction book, or a new pen, 2 pints of milk, a multibag of crisps, the list is endless....

Some decent practical effects, but overall a boring, predictable film that is extremely amateurish in all aspects. 4/10

It must be bad if you would rather buy a one direction book!
Rik, keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It must be bad if you would rather buy a one direction book!
Rik's a fan of One Direction.

It's up to him, he makes his own choices who are we to judge?

Hang your head in shame Trebor.
Old 18th December 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rik's a fan of One Direction.

It's up to him, he makes his own choices who are we to judge?

Hang your head in shame Trebor.
One Direction are closet Metalheads:

and the song name checks Iron Maiden, who are Rik's fave band, so why should he not like them?

**Note - this is probably the only time that 'One Direction' and 'closet' have been used in the same sentence!
Rik, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th December 2014, 10:12 PM
Active Cultist

The meh, the great and the ungodly bad.... an Olivier Gruner triple bill!

Not so keen on the unnecessary UK retitling so this is Interceptor Force (1999). One of the early Sci-Fi Channel Original movies, it is basically Predator set in a small Mexican town. Gruner is one of a trio of mercenaries (one of the others is Billy Zabka) who are hired in to investigate what they are told was a military plane crash but was actually a UFO. The creature soon starts picking them off and Gruner has to either kill this think or the town will be getting nuked.

Some interesting ideas here, but the film is very underwritten and drags quite a lot in the middle. It makes for passable entertainment but it never particularly exciting.

More details in my Interceptor Force review

Interceptor Force 2 (2002) - although not marketed as such in the UK this is actually a direct sequel, this time though the Alien has crashed in Russia and takes over a nuclear power plant with plans to destroy the world.

This was more like it, more action, more Olivier Gruner ass kicking, generally more fun. The alien can now exactly impersonate anyone it has killed, allowing for a few clever The Thing style moments and there is none of the lull in the pacing.

If you want a good late night blast, this is one I would recommend. Some wonderfully over the top action, but never going for the self-aware comedy of many more recent Sci-Fi Channel movies. The DVD is a mere £0.01 on Amazon marketplace.

It has more pictures of Olivier Gruner... Interceptor Force 2 review

Now this is where it gets odd. This film is a perfect example of the DTV bait and switch - it advertises Olivier Gruner, Michael Madsen and Michael Ironside on the cover, but barely uses them, then to top it off, in the UK it was billed as a sequel to the first Interceptor Force film, despite having no connection whatsoever.

Instead this utterly horrible film was an attempt to make an action film, but instead turns out more like a Lifetime Channel family drama. The premise is just stupid, some horribly bad actor gets kicked out of the Navy for contrived reasons. His mum and son are dying and he wants a few million dollars to get his son into an experimental drug program. So he tries to blackmail some businessman with information he heard at a bar about military contracts or something, the businessman says no, so he takes old SEAL friends in to steal the money instead and is then surprised that they launch revenge attacks on his friends. It is dull as dishwater, not helped by the painfully dull lead actor.

I can only imagine this was some sort of vanity project for this "Dan Andersen" (who has literally no other IMDB credits) as he plays the ass kicking hero, who inexplicably gets the girl (they just start kissing for no reason at all).

Annoyingly dull and pointless, it is hard to know who they actually thought would enjoy this. Miss.

Some pictures of this most wooden of actors in my Extreme Honor review.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim View Post
The meh, the great and the ungodly bad.... an Olivier Gruner triple bill!
The only Gruner film i own is Nemesis which isn't bad at all.

What Films Have You Seen Recently?
keirarts, trebor8273 and Vipp like this.
Old 19th December 2014, 05:48 PM
Cult Addict

Managed to watch Mulberry Street (or Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street as it's been titled on dvd in the UK) last night. Jim (Stakeland) Mickle's second feature i think. Not a bad film really, nothing to do with bloody zombies though. Basically a bunch of tenants in a small New York apartment block find themselved fighting to survive the night when some sort of weird virus starts turning people into crazy rat-like monsters. I love the way Mickle manages to evoke such a sense of place in his films with some brilliant cinematography. Not a patch on the excellent Stakeland but this definately shows Jim Mickle's potential. Just a pity the UK dvd has such shitty picture quality(and title) anyone know if the US disc is better?

Last edited by J Harker; 19th December 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!