Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2015, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Memoirs of an Invisible Man last night. Chevy Chase is an ordinary businessman who ducks into the wrong room when a scientific experiment in the same building goes pear-shaped and wakes up to find himself completely invisible. Unremarkable but amusing and entertaining enough early 90s adventure co-starring Daryl Hannah as the love interest and Sam Neill as the baddie CIA agent. Chevy in the lead role kind of makes you expect it to be more of a comedy than it is, but he actually plays it pretty straight throughout.
MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fuzzymctiger... (I could talk all day on asian cinema worth seeing. I do want to put one last good word in for Toho's dracula pictures Blood Thirsty Trilogy - Limited Edition Legacy of Dracula / Lake of Dracula / Evil of Dracula DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Kayo Matsuo, Akira Nakao, Yukiko Kobayashi, Kaku Takashina, Yoko Minamikaze, Mori Kishida, Choei Takahashi, Sanae Emi, Midori Fujita, Tos expensive but essential viewing.[/QUOTE])

I could quite happy let anyone waffle about asian /j horrors been a while since ive seen any and reminds you how good they are, and makes you want to rewatch them or find ones being mentioned that havent got round to watching or not heard off.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 13th October 2015, 03:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Can you believe that this isn't on bluray yet? It's such a beautiful looking film and has a haunting score that lingers with you. It's a great soundtrack to play when you're travelling through a barren landscape.

And just for giggles, here's Roger Ebert's baffling review. Just baffling: The Hitcher Movie Review & Film Summary (1986) | Roger Ebert
Old 13th October 2015, 06:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1968: Part 1

Candy - I've decided that comedic satire is a genre that just goes over my head. This trippy 60's example has cameos from Richard Burton, Marlon Brando, James Coburn, John Huston and Ringo Starr. The only thing it’s got going for it is Ewa Aulin who plays (eye) Candy.

Le Viol du Vampire - Rollins first feature and one of the first 'Redemption' videos I ever bought. Alas not one of my favourites from the director.

2001 A Space Odyssey - Review: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Destroy All Monsters - Earth is under attack from an alien race that takes control of all the Earth monsters and cause them to attack major cities. But when the alien control is broken the monsters take it upon themselves to fight back then the aliens bring in their space monster King Ghidorah. There all here, Godzilla, his son, Mothra, Rodan and a few others!

Tarzan and the Jungle Boy - Mike Henry's third and final Tarzan picture. His experience as Weintraub's jungle lord hadn't been a good one, Dysentery, Chimp bites, exhaustion and fever had left him feeling that his health was more important. However the role was already taken up by Ron Ely who was the Tarzan of the small screen. After 36 years as a staple of cinema action and adventure the franchise on the big screen came to an end. Ely's Tarzan would appear in two cinema outings that were nothing more than episodes from his TV series cobbled together. A few Spanish Tarzan films would be made between 1969 and 1974 but the next time a big screen outing for the jungle wouldn’t be until 1981 when Miles O'Keeffe would put on the loin cloth opposite his Jane...Bo Derek.

The Love Bug - And the Volkswagen Beetle forever became known as Herbie! Never seen this before, (or any of them), I was never into Disney pictures but I enjoyed it.

Vixen! - This I enjoyed more than I thought I would, again first time seeing it. This was one of the first pictures to receive the new 'X' rating.

Live A Little, Love A Little - A Presley movie that isn't too bad(ish). Director Norman Taurog's last picture bringing to an end a long association with Elvis that began with G.I Blues back in 1960 as well as a directorial career that began in 1920.

Yellow Submarine - A hippy trippy animated affair. Not keen on the style but the music was great.

Villa Rides - Originally this was supposed to be a Sam Peckinpah project but Yul Brynner who played Villa didn't like the way Peckinpah envisioned the Mexican revolutionary and so had him replaced. I can’t help but wonder if the 'Wild Bunch' director’s vision might have been better. This isn't a bad movie it does have a few comedic touches but it lacks grit!
Old 13th October 2015, 06:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Surprised there Reaps. I absolutely loved it. Being a Tom Hardy fan have you seen Legend yet?
Yeah mate.Great actor. Legend was class!

LEGEND Brian Helgeland 2015/The Krays Thread
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444763208.974329.jpg
That was awesome, had the magical ability to take me back to the awesome 80s and the days of VHS rentals. Great characters, loads of gore, 80s synth soundtrack, Cowboys, romance and the legend that is Michael Ironside, what's not too like. 9.5/10
Old 13th October 2015, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
What did you think?
Old 14th October 2015, 09:04 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah mate.Great actor. Legend was class!

LEGEND Brian Helgeland 2015/The Krays Thread
Had no idea there was a thread for this! While i liked Hardy to begin with i think what he does in Legend is just stunning. Two completely seperate performances side by side by the same actor.
Old 14th October 2015, 09:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

MS. 45 – I've probably reviewed this at least once before, but what the hey, it's a firm favourite of mine and I haven't been feeling all that inspired by the new stuff I've seen of late. I think I prefer 'Ms. 45' to any of Abel Ferrara's other films, which is odd in a way because this one seems like his least personal. Actually, thinking about it, 'Fear City' or 'Cat Chaser' or 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' perhaps fit that description better, as 'Ms. 45' truly does have its nose in the gutter, and, although there may not be all that much hand wringing about the nature of good and evil (mostly evil, as per his other flicks), the lead character does at least dress up as a nun at one point. For those unfamiliar, 'Ms 45' charts the transformation of mute factory girl Thana into murderous vigilante after she's raped twice in one day. That's kind of about it – there really isn't all that much to this movie beyond a steady stream of shootings, wranglings with obnoxious colleagues and horrible guys, comedy moments with the cute dog downstairs, and slightly mad set pieces like the climactic Halloween party bloodbath. It's linear, downbeat and harsh, just the way you need something set in early eighties New York to play like (particularly, I guess, if you never had to live that street-level reality). The scummyness and seediness of downtown Manhatten are given an exemplary airing here, and of course this tallies well with that bleak early VHS horror and exploitation vibe. Exploitation this may be, but Ferrara brings a chilly, detached art-house sensibility to the proceedings, and what it lacks in any kind of meaningful psychology it makes up for in style, grit and spit, not to mention deft steals from a host of other films, from 'Repulsion' to 'The Warriors'. I clock the flaws these days more than I used to – those asides with the irritating pooch and the meddling neighbour grate on me now a bit – but who could argue with haunting little vignettes like the one where Thana, in nun gear and suspenders, jokes around with a gun in the mirror as reverb drenched gunshots play on the soundtrack in her head... or for that matter, the final shot, where she pauses before shooting a transvestite in slo-mo whilst her workmate closes in behind her, knife held out at crotch level – how Ferrara. Put simply, 'Ms 45' isn't the director's best work, but it's a classic of its era and kind, and it's way better then 'Death Wish'.
Old 14th October 2015, 09:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MS. 45 – I've probably reviewed this at least once before, but what the hey, it's a firm favourite of mine and I haven't been feeling all that inspired by the new stuff I've seen of late. I think I prefer 'Ms. 45' to any of Abel Ferrara's other films, which is odd in a way because this one seems like his least personal. Actually, thinking about it, 'Fear City' or 'Cat Chaser' or 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' perhaps fit that description better, as 'Ms. 45' truly does have its nose in the gutter, and, although there may not be all that much hand wringing about the nature of good and evil (mostly evil, as per his other flicks), the lead character does at least dress up as a nun at one point. For those unfamiliar, 'Ms 45' charts the transformation of mute factory girl Thana into murderous vigilante after she's raped twice in one day. That's kind of about it – there really isn't all that much to this movie beyond a steady stream of shootings, wranglings with obnoxious colleagues and horrible guys, comedy moments with the cute dog downstairs, and slightly mad set pieces like the climactic Halloween party bloodbath. It's linear, downbeat and harsh, just the way you need something set in early eighties New York to play like (particularly, I guess, if you never had to live that street-level reality). The scummyness and seediness of downtown Manhatten are given an exemplary airing here, and of course this tallies well with that bleak early VHS horror and exploitation vibe. Exploitation this may be, but Ferrara brings a chilly, detached art-house sensibility to the proceedings, and what it lacks in any kind of meaningful psychology it makes up for in style, grit and spit, not to mention deft steals from a host of other films, from 'Repulsion' to 'The Warriors'. I clock the flaws these days more than I used to – those asides with the irritating pooch and the meddling neighbour grate on me now a bit – but who could argue with haunting little vignettes like the one where Thana, in nun gear and suspenders, jokes around with a gun in the mirror as reverb drenched gunshots play on the soundtrack in her head... or for that matter, the final shot, where she pauses before shooting a transvestite in slo-mo whilst her workmate closes in behind her, knife held out at crotch level – how Ferrara. Put simply, 'Ms 45' isn't the director's best work, but it's a classic of its era and kind, and it's way better then 'Death Wish'.
I always preferred this to the other rape-revenge thrillers out there. The rape-revenge thriller has always been morally questionable in that they seem to think an admittedly horrific act justifies further brutal acts (The Last House on the Left being an obvious exception).

But Ms. 45 doesn't judge - it simply portrays. This is probably due to, as you said Frankie, Ferrera's arthouse sensibilities.

Like this? Share it using the links below!