LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2016, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Terminator Genisys

I meant to write something about this yesterday, but events being what they were, I either didn't have time, or just plain forgot. In any case, several months ago, each time I watched the trailer at the cinema, a feeling of dread and bewilderment swept over me. As such, I approached the film (on Blu-ray Disc) with some trepidation, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

There is something very odd about the movie because it is both a reboot and a remake (similar, in some respects, to Star Wars: The Force Awakens), featuring footage from the 1984 film, but then introducing elements from a different dimension, with a different fate awaiting the T-800 on its arrival in LA in 1984.

In essence, the film is no different to the other Terminator ones, featuring John Connor, Kyle Reese, Sarah Connor, Judgement Day, Skynet, and time travel to prevent future war. However, in this film, Sarah Connor already has a protective 'Terminator' cyborg, named Pops, because he's been with her since she was nine years old. She also has a time machine intending to travel to 1997, when Skynet becomes aware. However, when Kyle arrives, he realises he has changed the timespace continuum and, because of some visions he had when travelling, convinces her to change her plans and travel to 2017 when, instead of Skynet, the technological threat is the titular Genisys.

As you might have guessed from the above paragraph, the film is unnecessarily convoluted, incredibly muddy, and lacking in the precise storytelling, originality, and sense of prescience which made Cameron's first two films such groundbreaking pieces of sci-fi-action cinema. It doesn't help that Jai Courtney is such a forgettable presence, Emilia Clarke seems lost playing the lead role in a 'big' film (Linda Hamilton she is not), and Jason Clarke looks ill fitting as John Connor.

Furthermore, during the period between 1984 and 2017, 'Pops' develops wrinkles and his hair changes from black to grey. I know cyborgs are covered in living tissue, but making the victim to the ageing process seemed weird and unnecessary. I hope it didn't make enough money to justify another instalment (hinted at in a brief post-credits scene) as it seems this was made for money rather than any artistic ambition. If there is a sequel, I sincerely hope it's better than Terminator Genisys – such a feat wouldn't be difficult.
I watched this last weekend and agree with you. It was far too convoluted with it's main plot line. I did however find myself enjoying certain scenes, almost as if it was a tv episode done on the cheap with the best bits from previous episodes reshown.

It did explain why Pops aged on the outside, but it was only one line, yet also a reasonable explanation, so you may have missed it, but i felt it made sense at least in allowing Arnie to be in the movie as he is now.

My overall feeling was one of enjoyment, yet also one of feeling let down as well.

Still. It was far better than Terminator Salvation.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st January 2016, 01:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this last weekend and agree with you. It was far too convoluted with it's main plot line. I did however find myself enjoying certain scenes, almost as if it was a tv episode done on the cheap with the best bits from previous episodes reshown.

It did explain why Pops aged on the outside, but it was only one line, yet also a reasonable explanation, so you may have missed it, but i felt it made sense at least in allowing Arnie to be in the movie as he is now.

My overall feeling was one of enjoyment, yet also one of feeling let down as well.

Still. It was far better than Terminator Salvation.
There was some other stuff going on in my room at times during the film, so it's possible I missed the line explaining the ageing – what was it?

I suppose if I want something different from the original three films in future, I'll just rewatch The Sarah Connor Chronicles – they were good.

Thinking back, I suppose my overall feeling was one of boredom, something which should never happen in a well-financed action film. As you said though, it is better than Terminator: Salvation, not that that is much of an achievement!
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st January 2016, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I hope it didn't make enough money to justify another instalment (hinted at in a brief post-credits scene) as it seems this was made for money rather than any artistic ambition. If there is a sequel, I sincerely hope it's better than Terminator Genisys – such a feat wouldn't be difficult.
They were originally going to do a trilogy but it was recently announced that it's been cancelled.
Old 31st January 2016, 01:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

WARNING: SPOILERS

I possibly also missed the line because, as I said, it makes sense for the human tissue to age naturally. That was probably the least of the possible plot holes to worry about, with others including the 'Guardian' being late because of traffic, helping to build Cyberdyne HQ instead of destroying it, Sarah and Kyle nicking a school bus to escape in, Sarah shooting the T-1000 instead of the helicopter rotor blades etc.

I was also trying to forget everything which happened in Terminator 3 and realise I was on a completely different timeline!

Why the hell did James Cameron endorse this film?
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st January 2016, 01:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
They were originally going to do a trilogy but it was recently announced that it's been cancelled.
Good!
Old 31st January 2016, 02:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
WARNING: SPOILERS

I possibly also missed the line because, as I said, it makes sense for the human tissue to age naturally.
That was it actually. To be fair it was all they needed to have Arnie in it as he is now.

Trying to give explanations for things were what made the whole film a mess i felt. Time travel and it's theories should be given a wide birth in movies because it often comes across as implausible.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st January 2016, 02:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That was it actually. To be fair it was all they needed to have Arnie in it as he is now.

Trying to give explanations for things were what made the whole film a mess i felt. Time travel and it's theories should be given a wide birth in movies because it often comes across as implausible.
I was just looking around for the line and found this series of questions and answers, which is quite funny and explains many of my frustrations with the story and screenplay:
Terminator Genisys: 22 Questions About the Film Answered | Den of Geek
Old 31st January 2016, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Awakening (2011)

England 1921. Following the events of the Great War the country is still struggling to come to terms with the losses suffered. Rebecca Hall (Who's excellent here) plays a hoax exposer, invited to a boarding school in Cumbria to explain sightings of a ghostly child wandering the corridors.

It's not often i watch a film then wake up having dreamed about it as well. It's safe to say i thought The Awakening was excellent. Almost a throwback to the days of James, both MR and Henry, with it's subtleties and plot nuances. The Awakening, written by Ghostwatch creator Stephen Volk, is a throwback to the days of classic ghostly terrors, making the spine shiver rather than the ears ring from speaker crashing jump scares in this beautiful slow burning chiller.

As the film doesn't rely on cheap scares to hold your attention, director Nick Murphy has to rely on sumptuous photography and the performance of his cast, all of which are excellent. Hall as i previously mentioned holds the film together and is superb. She's ably supported by Dominic West, Imelda Staunton and newcomer Isaac Hempstead Wright (Currently playing Bran Stark in Game of Thrones) who are all completely believable and make the film work on all aspects.

With an ambitious and ambiguous finale, but one i found entirely plausible, The Awakening is one of the best ghost films i've seen in a very long time.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38991530525355133610.jpg (65.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st January 2016, 02:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Awakening (2011)
That's a film I also really enjoyed and thought about for some time afterwards. It reminded me of The Others and The Orphanage, but in a good, not derivative, way
Old 31st January 2016, 03:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's a film I also really enjoyed and thought about for some time afterwards. It reminded me of The Others and The Orphanage, but in a good, not derivative, way
I'm pleased you also really liked The Awakening Nos.

When a film impresses so much it's always good to know others think the same also.

Like this? Share it using the links below!