All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2015, 09:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I liked it. It avoided too much 'nudge and wink' references to classic cannibal movies and remained its own film. I would reccomend bone tomahawk, a cannibal western I've just watched
Cheers i will check it out.
Old 25th November 2015, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
The Woman in the window 1944

Attachment 172508

A cracking find, Edward G Robinson and a very sexy Joan Rennett in a gripping thriller where a mild mannered Edward G (shows of his great acting range here outside of gangster roles) flirts with Jean Rennet and ends up covering up murder and trying to outsmart the police. kept me glued and a great storyline. More black and white movies on t.v please, this new generation do not know what they are missing!
Fantastic film.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 25th November 2015, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Little Giant. (1933)

When prohibition ends, mob boss and whisky baron Bugs Ahearn (Edward G Robinson) quits the racket and moves to sunny Santa Barbara with his money in a bid to go straight and break into Californian society. After being scammed by people just as unscrupulous as himself Ahearn gets his own back like only he knows how...the Chicago way.

This is absolutely terrific. Robinson has a real flair for comedy, subtle yet sending himself up wickedly. His portrayal of a fish out of water amid the wealthy classes at odds with his typical mob portrayals as he flits between the two in a series of witty and fast paced escapades.

Mary Astor provides support to Robinson and their scenes together are beautifully done, even though it's painfully obvious from the moment they meet that they'll eventually fall in love.

The Little Giant appeared a year before Hollywood's new censorship code kicked in and it shows. Some of the language and situations are quite strong for the time and would never have been allowed had it been released a little later.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg little-giant_33_a.jpg (37.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th November 2015, 08:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
In complete contrast to the understated TDOB, last night I watched Rambo III (1988, Peter Macdonald)
Lawdy! "Dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan" as well. Bet they regret that now.....easily the funniest of the quartet, as trainee buddhist goes crazyapebonkers when his pal is abucted by nasty Russians.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 26th November 2015, 02:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
It's the delivery that makes it funny.

For my sins I also watched my first Transformers film. The one with Marky Mark in it. Appallingly cheap looking pro underage sex drivel. What must go on in Bay's head?? Nothing savoury it seems.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th November 2015, 04:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
In complete contrast to the understated TDOB, last night I watched Rambo III (1988, Peter Macdonald)
Lawdy! "Dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan" as well. Bet they regret that now.....easily the funniest of the quartet, as trainee buddhist goes crazyapebonkers when his pal is abucted by nasty Russians.
I don't think I've seen that one, but it sounds ridiculous. If I recall correctly, there was something similar in The Living Daylights, in which Bond is helped by Kamran Shah (Art Malik), a Mujahideen leader.

Apparently, this is how the final dedication in Rambo III changed after 9/11:

Old 26th November 2015, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood and Lace (1971)

*** out of ****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th November 2015, 09:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1969 - part 1:

Godzilla's Revenge - Bit of a strange one this compared to the entries so far in the franchise. A small boy is being bullied so dreams of escaping to Monster Island where he meets up with Godzilla's Son and together the two encounter the various monsters that inhabit the island via clips from the previous movies.

Fellini Satyricon - Time for more Fellini bashing! Anyone who has read my reviews of the other Fellini pictures in my list will know / remember my thoughts on the director’s work. I haven’t seen a single Fellini picture that hasn’t bored me and that includes Satyricon.

Charro! - Presley's first picture of 1969 puts him in a western with no musical numbers and only the theme tune sang by him....Doesn’t make it any better.

Till Death Do Us Part - By sheer coincidence my next movie was this! On the day Warren Mitchell died! Based on the long running British TV series this follows Alf Garnett from the outbreak of WWII to the sixties. A lot of British TV series would follow suit with their own cinematic successes / failures (take your pick).

Midnight Cowboy - My first time seeing this, not usually my sort of movie hence the reason why it’s my first viewing but I quite enjoyed it. Won Best Picture at the Oscars and a BAFTA for Best Picture/Any Source.

Carry on Camping - If there’s any scene more iconic from a Carry on Movie then it’s in this one....Campsite, Babs Winsor in a bikini flinging her arms and her chest out as she exercises and bikini top flies off! Thus is born ITV's carry on promos for the next 40 odd years!

I Am Sartana Your Angel of Death - The second Sartana movie and it’s a bore fest!

The Wild Bunch - Great movie and certainly one I hope to upgrade from the DVD flipper that I have!

The Battle of Britain - Not a bad WWII picture, I much prefer the Ron Goodwin score over the William Walton one.

Paint Your Wagon - "Do I know where Hell is....?” 'Wandrin Star' is about the only memorable tune in this musical, it isn't bad just isn't great!

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Cushing's penultimate 'Hammer Frankenstein'. His character seems a little nastier this time round. Still it’s not the worse in the franchise.

Guns of the Magnificent Seven - A better sequel than 'Return of the Magnificent Seven'. George Kennedy takes over the role of Chris from Yul Brynner....with more hair and sans the black outfit.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Cushing's penultimate 'Hammer Frankenstein'. His character seems a little nastier this time round. Still it’s not the worse in the franchise.
I rate it as one of the best of the series up there with 'Curse' and 'Revenge'.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th November 2015, 10:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Paint Your Wagon - "Do I know where Hell is....?” 'Wandrin Star' is about the only memorable tune in this musical, it isn't bad just isn't great!
I don't what upset me more - that a film starring Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin was rather dull, or that it couldn't even live up to this:

Like this? Share it using the links below!