Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2016, 11:21 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

So have neither of you actually watched anything?
Old 19th March 2016, 11:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So have neither of you actually watched anything?
By the sounds of things, elderly women using, or refusing to use, commodes!
Old 19th March 2016, 02:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
So have neither of you actually watched anything? op2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
By the sounds of things, elderly women using, or refusing to use, commodes!
Should we be discussing this in the top ten Tuesdays thread?
Old 19th March 2016, 04:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deadly Virtues: Love. Honour. Obey. (2014)

This low budget, Indiegogo funded, British effort is a home invasion film with a difference.

The initial premise seems rather run of the mill. A stranger breaks into a house whilst the couple inside are having sex. After overpowering the man, the stranger ties him up and following a bit of torture and finger removal dumps him, still tied, in the bath. Then he moves onto the girl. Here, having the whole weekend to himself or should i say their selves, the intruder plays out a long game of fear, obedience and intimacy.

Although the film doesn't sport much in the way of actual violence, the story has a sadistic but slightly weird air throughout. The atmosphere is thick with a smog of kinkiness i found difficult to shake off. Maybe it was the various Japanese bondage techniques on show during the first half? Perhaps it was the feeling of a shared experience with the characters and not always with the victims - the result of fine acting and a sharp script.

I found the whole film worked really nicely for me. The three main (only) characters were believable (probably, i haven't been in such a situation) and attitudes and sympathies towards them swung constantly between the three thanks to intelligent script that answered all questions it posed by the credits.

Thankfully i didn't see the end coming at all so found the whole movie a nicely satisfying and rewarding experience.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deadly-virtues-love-honour-obey.jpg (91.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th March 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Informers (1963)

Hard boiled, pulp British crime thriller sees Nigel Patrick's CID inspector, well known throughout the criminal underworld for his use of informants, framed with the proceeds of a bank job he's on the verge of cracking. Patrick has to go it alone whilst being pursued by the law and Frank Finlay's crime syndicate.

As good as anything coming out of America, The Informers is a terrific film. Moody, violent and crackling with rage, especially from the slimy Derren Nesbitt, a thug moving up in the world who treats women like dogs, giving the film a sharp cutting edge, and that's before we get to the stabbings, gang warfare and shootings. The film originally had an X certificate and you can see why.

Fast moving with a clever script and a cast of seemingly hundreds of well known British stars, The Informers is highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cache_2442832838.jpg (78.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th March 2016, 10:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
That's the first review on here i've read. Sorry you didn't rate it.
I would give it a 7/10 myself.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th March 2016, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict

Tenebrae

Given some on-line critics distaste for self indulgent directors Its always bemused me how a lot of Argento's output gets overlooked when this criticism gets levelled. I was initially disappointed with the film after the deliriously stylish and Gothic Inferno as it feels like a step backwards however the sheer over the top death sequences, the arbitrary and completely pointless but breathtaking camera tracking shot over the house, the strange, overly bright cinematography and sterile futurist set design have won me over with each subsequent viewing and I can now say I'm a fan.
Synapses region locked blu-ray probably represents the definitive presentation of the film and is a little better in terms of picture quality than the Arrow/wildside release, however it isn't the leap forward that Demons represented. If your multi region and have the cash to splash I say go for it. Disappointing cover art aside (sorry, I know some may disagree but holding it in my hands its still way naffer than the poster art used with a lot of other releases, even with the stupid bow round the neck) its an entertaining package. CW's documentary on Giallo's was interesting but didn't cover much in the way of new ground on the subject and I was surprised that there was no mention whatsoever about Berberian sound studio when discussing the modern influence of the giallo. Still, it'll sit nicely next to the two demons steelbooks from synapse.
Old 20th March 2016, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict

Also watched the spanish cut of pieces. Its interesting but suffers from an awful score imported from other films.
Old 20th March 2016, 02:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The last four films I have watched are;

Dark Angel (1990) - 8/10

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - 9/10

When Worlds Collide (1951) - 6/10

Prison (1988) - 8/10
Old 20th March 2016, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Maps to the Stars (2014)

David Cronenberg's dysfunctional family tale, Hollywood style.

The family in question - John Cusack as a self help guru, together with wife Olivia Williams who acts as manager to their son, a child star fresh out of rehab. All seems to be going well until estranged daughter Mia Wasikowski turns up and becomes PA to neurotic actress Julianne Moore, whilst she strikes up a friendship with limo driver and aspiring actor Robert Pattinson.

The Cronenberg of 2014 is a different beast to the body horror auteur of the twentieth century. His recent output has been of slower more contemplative film, although no less memorable, just different and perhaps alienating his original fans.

I liked Maps to the Stars. It fits in with films such as Laurel Canyon and Mulholland Drive in it's depiction of the decadent Hollywood lifestyle often veering between drama and satire but never embracing either fully. The cast is terrific, Julianne Moore veering just on the right side of madness, Pattinson proving Twilight is just a distant memory, but for me Evan Bird stole the film as the precocious child star Benji. Interestingly Bird steals this film from the more established stars just as Benji feels an even younger child is stealing his latest film from under his nose.

Naturally being a Cronenberg film things soon become detached from reality a tad or at least the characters do. The film teeters on an uncomfortable ledge with typical traits of sex and violence and madness veering their ugly heads throughout until an unforgettable ending.

Maps to the Stars isn't an easy watch but it is a rewarding one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maps-to-the-stars-poster.jpg (54.7 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!