Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2016, 09:10 AM
Cult Addict

My wife said that it was like watching a film made by two different directors who weren't even attempting to collaborate.
Old 26th March 2016, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
My wife said that it was like watching a film made by two different directors who weren't even attempting to collaborate.
That interpretation makes a lot of sense! The directors could also have been working from different scripts based on the same story as well!
Old 26th March 2016, 10:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That interpretation makes a lot of sense! The directors could also have been working from different scripts based on the same story as well!
Unusual insight from my missus. Doesn't normally have much of a critique on films. Either it was good or it was bad.
nosferatu42 and Graeme73 like this.
Old 26th March 2016, 10:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Unusual insight from my missus. Doesn't normally have much of a critique on films. Either it was good or it was bad.
It seems she thought The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a bit of both.
J Harker likes this.
Old 26th March 2016, 03:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Craft (1996)

New girl in school, Robin Tunney, hooks up with three wannabe witches after she shows to have powers of telekinesis. The four bond and find that witchcraft is a big help when it comes to getting through the day, both with relationships and various physical and emotional worries. Before long one of the girls, an excellent Fairuza Balk, goes after real power and witchcraft becomes more than just a game.

The Craft skillfully mixes a potent brew of mostly believable characters, underplayed special effects work and some nice creepiness bordering on out and out horror. Featuring an attractive cast of soon to be stars, together with an intelligent script, a cool soundtrack, a glossy visual style and smart direction help lift this above the usual teen high school flicks.

The Craft is a real favourite of mine and my enjoyment of it never diminishes even with repeated plays. I like it as much now as i did when i saw it 20 years ago on the big screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-craft-movie-poster-1996-1020198968.jpg (90.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th March 2016, 03:16 PM
Cult Addict

Started collecting these with my kid.
Old 26th March 2016, 03:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Started collecting these with my kid.
Should these be in the Bought thread or did you cram them into your blu-ray player?

There were loads of these going at £6.99 in the BBC shop sale. Now there's only John Watson, Mycroft (looks really cool) and Irene Adler from Sherlock.
Old 26th March 2016, 04:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Should these be in the Bought thread or did you cram them into your blu-ray player?

There were loads of these going at £6.99 in the BBC shop sale. Now there's only John Watson, Mycroft (looks really cool) and Irene Adler from Sherlock.
Balls yeah, wrong thread. Although i wouldn't out it past my son trying to get them in the player. Little sod sat there grinning the other day because he'd managed to shove 3 discs in my ps3 at the same time.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

LYNCH MOB – Quite a fun indie horror which pitches mobsters against the cannibalistic denizens of a small hamlet. In probable homage to '2000 Maniacs', the latter are undead ghosts because of an ancient curse cast against them for being horrible slave murderers back in the day. A creepy mob informer whose taste for torture is one of his more wholesome predilections is hiding out in the small, small town... pretty soon he realises that if he wants to keep alive it's not just the cops who he has to strike deals with. 'Lynch Mob' goes on for a bit long, but doesn't feel too padded. There's lots of splatter, most of it quite effective. The tone is darkly comedic but doesn't strain too far in the direction of broad laughs, which would always be a temptation with this kind of material. Nice to see Tony Darrow playing true to form again. I'm always a bit disappointed that he never quite manages to match what must've been the pinnacle of his career, the 'Street Trash' end credits theme. “I'm gonna eat your fockin' eyeballs like grapes” he sang back then, and sadly 'Lynch Mob' isn't a musical (although it could've been a pretty good one), but even so I'm pretty sure at least someone here gets their eyeballs munched at some point, or failing that some other part of their anatomy. Worth checking out.

ZOMBIE FIGHT CLUB – Some kind of viral outbreak has led to a zombie takeover. Bad news for the residents of a high rise apartment block – they're about to be massacred by the undead, of course. Here comes a SWAT team to sort it all out – hold on, they're only in it to nick some money off a gang. Everyone else is a rapper shagging some girls, a girl shagging some rappers, or on drugs. Or a school teacher who's doing his own daughter. ZFC has been accused of ripping of 'The Horde'. 'The Horde', which is objectively a much better film, was about siege type dynamics in a high rise zombie situation, whereas ZFC is just a random series of episodic zombie attacks. In lieu of any sympathetic characters, and because it so clearly is just the same old shit refried and repackaged, ZFC understands that the only way to get a bit of momentum going is to throw loads of crazy stuff at the wall and hope that some of it sticks. So we have a little incest, some random mutoid 'The Thing' type references, then an abrupt left turn into Mad Max 3 territory, all drenched in a heavy shower of gore. Don't get excited – that's CGI gore, an acquired taste. But all things considered, ZFC, which comes from the hands of the guy who made the equally wacky 'Zombie 108', does manage to mark itself out from the multitude of flesh munchers ordinaires on the back of its sheer stupidity, and, by the time we're suddenly told - “it's three years later. Society lives underground and is governed by that milquetoast pedo teacher from earlier on, who has somehow risen to become a kind of Nazi general surrounded by dominatrix concubines. Folks, he's decided to rip off 'The Walking Dead' and has a tortured relationship with his now undead daughter, who he keeps chained up. Everyone else gets stuck in a gladiatorial arena and is ripped apart by zombies” - quite frankly, we're not that surprised. 'Zombie Fight Club' – it's pure shite, concentrated until poisonous, then converted into a stream of zeros and ones and burned onto disc by someone who probably died of a disease. You might like it. Most people probably won't. Maybe it's the future.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
'Zombie Fight Club' – it's pure shite, concentrated until poisonous, then converted into a stream of zeros and ones and burned onto disc by someone who probably died of a disease.
Greatest summary of any film ever.

Like this? Share it using the links below!