Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016, 01:42 PM
Cult Addict

Dear god no is definitely stupid and i thought it was fun.
Demoncrat, keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th April 2016, 02:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Dear god no is definitely stupid and i thought it was fun.
Perfect for the occasion then.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th April 2016, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

The bees

from the director of the trash-tastic and incredibly fun Demonoid comes this story about 'Africanised' honey bees being smuggled from south America by an Evil corporation keen to exploit the properties of the royal jelly. In spite of warnings from John Saxon the genie is let loose and the Bees go on a rampage. Think The swarm but trashier and an hour shorter and your on the right track with this one. Its totally nuts but honestly its a whole lot of fun. vinegar syndrome release another winner and the quality here is terrific. Its sort of weird there's no sign of a blu-ray for the swarm but I can live with this one as its a whole lot of fun.

Salo (120 days of sodom)

I've had a keen dislike of this film for many years. However I love a bargain so when Zoverstocks had this I ended up snagging it. I'm certain most here are familiar with the subject matter. Four bourgeois fascists round up a group of boys and girls and take them to a villa to indulge every whim with a severe set of authoritarian rules imposed on their victims that mean they basically can do whatever the hell they want. what ensues is a catalogue of Rape, buggery, Coprophagia, torture and .... well you get the idea. As free reign ensues things get steadily bleaker and more out of hand, innocence is corrupted and their young victims either become complicit or are destroyed.
As weird as it sounds I'm glad I gave this another go. I have to say I appreciated the film a lot more this time around. Perhaps its age or simple world weariness. It might be a case of reading the papers too much or just looking at the black hole society seems to be circling but I found a lot more in the film this time round in regards to the toxic effect of Fascism on society. It seems to reflect the post internet era in some respects and the four fascists seem to echo are leaders more and more. It's chilling stuff but I have to say I appreciate it more than I ever did before.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Lazarus Effect (2015)

A group of Californian medical researchers experiment attempting to bring the dead back to life. Things begin to unravel when the experiment proves successful on a dog and the university dean finds out about the experiments and shuts them down allowing a chemical research company to confiscate their research...

The Lazarus Effect is a surprisingly effective little chiller. Clocking in at a mere 75 minutes plus end credits, the film wastes no time in getting to the plot and even manages to be thought provoking in respect of what happens to us and our soul after death.

What i really liked was the way the script and direction introduced us to each character and in just a couple of lines gave them purpose and made them feel fully rounded, making the viewer immediately care for them. This isn't an easy feat especially in horror where the protagonists tend to be stereotypes or caricatures. Credit must also go to the cast which features fine character actors in Olivia Wilde, Sarah Bolger, Mark Duplass and Ray Wise who gave their characters believability.

As far as horror films go The Lazarus Effect is largely gore free but an uneasy atmosphere slowly builds throughout culminating in a tense finale. Thankfully it doesn't resort to lazy jump scare tactics although i admit at one point i did properly jump and i can't recall the last film that made me miss a heartbeat like this did.

All in all i found The Lazarus Effect to be a really enjoyable horror film. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Lazarus-Effect-2015.jpg (97.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th April 2016, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This would be my reaction to the evening's films.

I think i'd stop at home.

Unless of course Harker is the mate in question. Then i'd go and drink all his whisky.
I thought we'd got this clear now. I don't have a large stock of whiskey. I am unable to amass any great quantity of the stuff because i end up bloody drinking it. Unlike Demdike and his booze tardis.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I thought we'd got this clear now. I don't have a large stock of whiskey. I am unable to amass any great quantity of the stuff because i end up bloody drinking it. Unlike Demdike and his booze tardis.
You Americans and your whiskey.
J Harker likes this.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
You Americans and your whiskey.
Actually here in deepest darkest Welshland its Wysgi.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Actually here it Wysgi.
Really! I didn't know that. Learn something new every day etc.
J Harker likes this.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:58 PM
Cult Addict

To be honest i can never remember the difference between the Scottish and US spelling. Sometimes i check the bottle but all i can make out is wwwhhhhiiissskkkuuurrrgghhh...
Old 5th April 2016, 11:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Really! I didn't know that. Learn something new every day etc.
http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!