Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2017, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Are we talking about 'The Cult' now or did i miss something?
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict

If so -

Southern death cult - The crypt

Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Last Exorcism 2010

Minister Cotton Marcus agrees to be filmed to prove that possession and exorcisms are fake, but he will have his faith tested.

This found footage movie is one of those types that is you either like or hate, or not to sure. The plot is good and the main actor is very charismatic as he thinks exorcisms are a joke.

The downside to this is the so called jump scenes that have been done before and others may not expect it. Only part that did confuse me is the ending, OK the family are part of a cult but what one witchcraft or demonology.
6.5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Last_Exorcism_Poster.jpg (53.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st November 2017, 03:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mikey 1992

Mikey is a ten year old boy, behind his gentlest smile lurks a homicidal Maniac.

Due to the death of toddler James Bulger (R.I.P) this film was and still banned in the UK, so I had to watch it online.

Brian Bonsall from Family Ties is creepy in this film, trying to find the perfect family but feels he is unloved and brings out his darker side with inventive ways of killings.

Not really much is explained why the way he is, but it is worth a look. 8 out of 10.
Old 21st November 2017, 06:37 AM
Cult Addict

Memoirs of an invisible man

Unusual pick for Carpenter. Memoirs is a fairly straight ahead Chevy Chase studio pick. Chevy's usual humorous schtick is at play as a businessman who is accidentally made invisible and ends up pursued by the CIA. Sam Neill plays the psychopathic CIA agent hunting him and Daryl Hannah plays his love interest.
Carpenter, probably mindful of the box office failures that seemed to haunt him plays things relatively safe here. Its fairly by the numbers and anyone who doesn't like Chevy Chase might want to steer clear.
That all said, Its still very well crafted and its clear Carpenter knows what he's doing. It's all framed in his usual 2:35:1 and moves along at a rapid pace. I certainly enjoyed it more revisiting it after a lot of years.

Body Bags

Carpenter returns to TV for a Horror anthology. Three films, two directed by Carpenter, the Third by Tobe Hooper. The stories are all linked by Carpenter himself playing a sinister mortician. The stories are all pretty good. The first with a woman on her first night on the job at a gas station is possibly the best. Its weird seeing a Carpenter film not framed 2:35:1 but its not a deal breaker as its all a lot of fun. Its a treat for Horror fanboys including guest appearances from Wes Craven and Sam Raimi.
Old 21st November 2017, 08:34 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Arrival. Alien contact film cloaked in talky melancholia. It runs for nearly 2 hours, but it zipped by for me. Curiously affecting, yet i'm still not 100% sure i know what happened. Good if you like a bit of mystery wrapped in an enigma in your Sci-Fi rather than boom booms. Amy Adams is excellent as always (and secretly wants to marry me), and has good support from Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Amusing that the squid-like aliens use their own bodily manufactured ink to write with!
I thought this was magnificent when I saw it at the cinema and then I read the short story on which it is based, then went back and watched it again, finding it even more affecting and thought-provoking on second viewing.

I'm hoping it's released on Ultra HD in the UK soon (the only existing version is a hellishly expensive US import) as I would very much like to watch it again.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought this was magnificent when I saw it at the cinema and then I read the short story on which it is based, then went back and watched it again, finding it even more affecting and thought-provoking on second viewing.

I'm hoping it's released on Ultra HD in the UK soon (the only existing version is a hellishly expensive US import) as I would very much like to watch it again.
keep on eye on ebay, managed to get one for £20
Old 21st November 2017, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Moonraker (1979, Lewis Gilbert)
The second film featuring Max Schell (with a giant scary bodyguard in tow) as the villain from this year. Bond jetsets around the place, nobbing a few tarts along the way. For me this should have been his last as JB. He's looking old in closeups, and his action scenes are pitiful. Warbeck would have been a great replacement imo.

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017, Patrick Hughes)
Motherf*cker!! Really? MOTHERF*CKER!!! REALLY???
That's it in a nutshell. For Jackson fans. Great bike chase in the 'dam though.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 21st November 2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Grrrrrrrrr
Old 21st November 2017, 06:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Moonraker (1979, Lewis Gilbert)
The second film featuring Max Schell (with a giant scary bodyguard in tow) as the villain from this year. Bond jetsets around the place, nobbing a few tarts along the way. For me this should have been his last as JB. He's looking old in closeups, and his action scenes are pitiful. Warbeck would have a great replacement imo.
Definitely one of the weakest Bond films.
Old 21st November 2017, 06:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Definitely one of the weakest Bond films.
As I say, twas only for the childhood memory really. Now I can see tis just another Star Wars ripoff.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!