Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict

Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi
Thankfully my brother paid for my tickets.
I'm not going into the plot(s) to much. The first order are chasing the remnants of the republic down and destroying them.
Where The Force Awakens was played safe with by JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson decided to take it off the rails and really made it feel off. The humour felt rather awkward and unnecessary. This for me was underwhelming and despite not leaving the cinema annoyed. It just felt disappointing.
6/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 21st - Ghost Story (1974)

Dire British supernatural effort from director Stephen Weeks of the equally dire I, Monster (1971). Seemingly a wannabe MR James style story but lacking any sort of supernatural atmosphere, with a Withnail like star in Murray Melvin and cameo appearances from Marianne Faithfull and Barbara Shelley. It's not scary, it's not chilling, it's certainly not funny, it's just dull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghost Story .jpg (95.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Second film in Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, the middle of Middle Earth so to speak, and this was even better than first installment An Unexpected Journey.

A film which barely pauses for breath, this is action all the way, and in featuring the breathtaking Dwarves river escape from the Wood Elves lair in ale casks whilst being pursued by Orcs - has probably the best action set piece i've seen this year.

Whilst the final underworld battle with the dragon Smaug is a bit drawn out it's but a trifling muttering in a so far terrific film series.

I actually thought this wasn't that well received when compared to Jackson's Lord of the Rings films but i'm loving it just as much.

One final thought. Is it wrong for a human to fancy an Elf girl? Because Evangeline Lilly is bloody gorgeous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5066_3749.jpg (78.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December 21st - Ghost Story (1974)

Dire British supernatural effort from director Stephen Weeks of the equally dire I, Monster (1971). Seemingly a wannabe MR James style story but lacking any sort of supernatural atmosphere, with a Withnail like star in Murray Melvin and cameo appearances from Marianne Faithfull and Barbara Shelley. It's not scary, it's not chilling, it's certainly not funny, it's just dull.
If anyone else has seen this i'd love to know what you thought of Ghost Story.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:20 PM
Cult Addict

I have the Ghost Story dvd, but saw it a while back so can't remember the details but i remember thinking it was fairly decent, but nothing spectacular.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I have the Ghost Story dvd, but saw it a while back so can't remember the details but i remember thinking it was fairly decent, but nothing spectacular.
The dvd is good, lot's of extras but i won't be watching them as it seems a waste of time being a film i wasn't keen on and a film maker even less so in Weeks.

I'm just watching 88's Aerobicide dvd. It's interlaced, not badly but it's clearly there for all to see. Picture would have been fine otherwise.

A poor show in my opinion from 88.
Old 23rd December 2017, 10:44 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The dvd is good, lot's of extras but i won't be watching them as it seems a waste of time being a film i wasn't keen on and a film maker even less so in Weeks.

I'm just watching 88's Aerobicide dvd. It's interlaced, not badly but it's clearly there for all to see. Picture would have been fine otherwise.

A poor show in my opinion from 88.
I like aerobicide, tbh I was hoping 88 were gonna release deadly prey instead but ach well

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Rachel_Nichols_in_P2_Wallpaper_2_1024.jpg
P2 (2007)

On Christmas Eve, Rachel Nichols is terrorized by the looney security guard of the office tower block she works in.
Quite good chiller shot almost entirely in the underground car park.

Truth is, the sight of Rachel running around in THAT dress is what made me watch the film. Sue me !

th32C506EU.jpg
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
P2 (2007)

On Christmas Eve, Rachel Nichols is terrorized by the looney security guard of the office tower block she works in.
Quite good chiller shot almost entirely in the underground car park.

Truth is, the sight of Rachel running around in THAT dress is what made me watch the film. Sue me !

Good film. I bought that on region 1 dvd as soon as it came out. Only watched it the one time as well. Totally forgot it was set on Christmas Eve.
Old 23rd December 2017, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 22nd - Killer Workout (1987)

Aka Aerobicide - Killer knocks off members of an aerobics class one by one using a safety pin. Cue overlong scenes of aerobics with an ever decreasing class.

Not exactly a highlight of 80's slashers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerobicide4.jpg (50.0 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!