Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

DeadAlive 14th June 2010 12:24 PM

Basket Case 2 & Basket Case 3
Amusing sequels that lack the inventiveness and grit that the first film had.The introduction of so many "freaks" make for some surrealistic images and the comedy is really piled on. 3 just about pips it for me as the more enjoyable film mainly due to the inspired "Aliens " influenced final battle.

Planet Of The Vampires
This fifties sci-fi from Mario Bava looks great and was so influential to the genre. (Ridley Scott's "Alien " comes to mind instantly.) There are no Vampires but what the hell. This is steeped in atmosphere with some dreadful dialogue but ultimately this really wins out for it's overall look and set designs. I really need to watch more films by this director.

Sam 14th June 2010 09:29 PM

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - great, I don't think I'll ever tire of anthology films. Some of the stories felt a bit rushed but it was definitely never boring - the voodoo story with Roy Castle (!!??) is my pick of the bunch!

Return to Horror High - hugely disappointing, didn't even get through it all! I've got a high tolerance for slashers, especially from the 80s but this just didn't deliver for me. That said, I'll probably give it another go

Kyle 14th June 2010 11:55 PM

yesterday i watched
rec 2: awesome sequel, very impressed
human centipede: loved it , very sick but just my cup of tea :)

Gojirosan 15th June 2010 12:20 AM

Tonight I watched After Death (aka Zombie 4) and Killing Birds (aka Zombie 5).

Didn't think much of After Death, it had a few moments but was mostly just poor, but I did like Killing Birds, quite a lot. Once the obvious low budget constraints are looked past, it's a skilfully shot, tense and atmospheric piece that hit the spot for me. Very surprised. Just a shame it got tacked into the Zombi series. I think this demeans the film, diluting its identity as a lone piece.

re.form 15th June 2010 12:41 AM

Recently watched:

Burtons 'Alice in Wonderland'. It's ok, like his Willy Wonka - a bit 'meh'.

Mario Bava's 'Mask of Satan' - slightly disappointed. First time I've seen it. I must be spoiled by his later works which I adore.

'King of the Ants'. Stuart Gordon directs (one of my fave directors), Charlie Higson (from the 'Fast Show') on screenplay duty and Norm from 'Cheers' provided the acting. Really nice film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th June 2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 86223)
yesterday i watched
rec 2: awesome sequel, very impressed
human centipede: loved it , very sick but just my cup of tea :)

Really looking forward to seeing both of these. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th June 2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 86228)
'King of the Ants'. Stuart Gordon directs (one of my fave directors), Charlie Higson (from the 'Fast Show') on screenplay duty and Norm from 'Cheers' provided the acting. Really nice film.

Agreed. Great film. :cool:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th June 2010 07:32 AM

Recently watched:

Violence in a Women's Prison: Your atypical WIP flick with the inclusion of Laura Gemser. One of the less extreme entries in genre, but pretty good nonetheless.

City of the Living Dead (Blu): Simply phenomenal. My love for the film has increased immensely over the years (I even used to prefer House to City), and Arrow have certainly done it justice. I haven't seen the DVD version, but I'm sure that it is the definitive article too.

I feel like watching something Shameless tonight though... ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th June 2010 07:53 AM

Over the last couple of days I've seen Daybreakers (and the commentary) which was a really well made movie with an interesting concept and a whole load of blood; I was amazed what you can get into a 15 certificate film these days.

Last night I watched the Cult Spaghetti Westerns collection, with Django, A Bullet for the General and Keoma. All great films and it was quite funny to see Ruggero Deodato as the assistant director on Django!. I'll watch the extras today so I can get my review up as soon as possible.

mbv 15th June 2010 10:13 AM

Watched that Omen remake on TV last night. One of the most pointless remakes ever. Apart from obviously making them loads of money by cashing in on the 666 thing!
Almost same script, CGI gore and some terrible acting.
Only thing that got me excited that I missed when I saw this in the cinema was the appearance of Giovanni Lombardo Raddice or whatever way you spell it.
I loved the original and 2 and 3 were pretty good. Its a shame that 4 and this remake even exist when there are two fine(and disgusting) books(armageddon and Abomination) by Gordon McGill to adapt.