Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2020, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A mixture of drama , comedy and modern fairy tale.

When shock jock , Jack Lucas( Jeff Bridges) causes a listener to go on a killing spree his life spirals out of of control, one night he is nearly killed but is rescued by bum Perry ( Robin William's) whom has had a psychotic break and believes he is a knight seeking the holy grial after the killing of his wife , of course we soon learn that it was the listener from Lucas show that killed Perry's wife and feeling responsible he sets out to help his new friend, but just who is helping who as both men try to get there lives back together , amazing acting from the two leads and easily some of the best work they have done. 9/10

I just love this film easily in my top ten, revenge , fencing , giants , giant eels , rodents of unusual size and of course true love, what's not too like. A film that never helps put a smile on my face. 10/10

Now watching .

Old 10th November 2020, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Phantom. 1931.

A group of people are stalked by a killer known as The Phantom in a house.

Another dark house mystery thriller with a mad man on the loose, secret passages, a undercover reporter and a very squeamish frightened maid and chauffeur who are well suited to be a couple. What made me laugh was the jailbreak that was something that looked like it came from a old comedy. The film does loose it's peak a bit then turns back up again, Enjoyable enough but second viewing may help.

220px-ThePhanton1931Poster.jpg
Old 10th November 2020, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Woman In The Dark. 1934.

A recently paroled prisoner hits a man for attacking a woman and runs away fearing he may have killed the man.

This was a not bad crime thriller, Ralph Bellamy plays the recently parolee who comes across Fay Wray being chased by Melvyn Douglas and plants one on him but Wray is no angel as she has stolen Jewels on her. When I say it's not bad it is a bit of a slow movie in some areas and seems very low budget and there is one or two laughs install. Enjoyable to watch.

81+psD-3lOL._SY445_.jpg
Old 10th November 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Woman In The Dark. 1934.

A recently paroled prisoner hits a man for attacking a woman and runs away fearing he may have killed the man.

This was a not bad crime thriller, Ralph Bellamy plays the recently parolee who comes across Fay Wray being chased by Melvyn Douglas and plants one on him but Wray is no angel as she has stolen Jewels on her. When I say it's not bad it is a bit of a slow movie in some areas and seems very low budget and there is one or two laughs install. Enjoyable to watch.

Attachment 229346
Did the script feature any of the usual Hammett fast talking and even faster plot resolving?
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did the script feature any of the usual Hammett fast talking and even faster plot resolving?
I would say fast talking, and maybe 15-20 mins before the end it was a quick plot resolving
Old 11th November 2020, 12:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream In The Night. 1935.

A colonial police detective seeks a stolen gem and goes undercover as a wharf side bar owner to seek the ones who stole the gem.

Lon Chaney Jr does a mediocre duel roles, this may not be his finest film but it is entertaining, with the age of the film I had to switch out the light as the film gets darker in some bits and become hard to watch. It is a weird crime film that can go at a snails pace then picks itself back up even with some feisty females tag along for a bit.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 11th November 2020, 01:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Most Dangerous Game. 1932.

After being shipwrecked on a island, sole survivor Bob takes shelter with a count and two other guests and finds out the count is a game hunter and he may be his next prey.

This was a decent movie, Leslie Banks plays the mysterious count who plans on using humans for his big hunt along with his servant Ivan (Noble Johnson), Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong play the siblings who were mysteriously shipwrecked with other people who have now vanished and Joel McCrea as the new arrival Bob.

This was probably for it's time quite suspenseful and still is a tense movie to watch, it's really not the plot that can make it tense which the acting can make it tense also. Any fans of Turkey Shoot may like this old movie, certainly worth a look.

Most_Dangerous_Game_poster.jpg
Old 11th November 2020, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dark Eyes of London. 1939. (aka The Human Monster).

The deaths of men happen to be put down to accidents but all had ties to a insurance company run by a sinister Dr. Orloff.

Low budget, shady cinematography and not the greatest of sets but this was still a bit creepy, Bela Lugosi plays the sinister Dr. Orloff who murders people and collects their policy money. it is decently done with Lugosi and police inspector Holt played by Hugh Williams as the play cat and mouse games and Orloff trying to get the daughter from one of his victims. Fans of Lugosi will certainly enjoy this little chiller.

220px-The_Human_Monster.jpg
Old 11th November 2020, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HELLGATE – This notorious example of accidental surrealism makes less and less sense as the years go by. Sometimes I can’t work out whether it’s a bad film played straight, or worse, an attempt at comedy that turned out excruciatingly unfunny, but whatever foul magic pulled it into existence, its unholy collision of zombie-producing laser crystals, bad western film sets masquerading as towns, ghostly can-can dances and guys with random bits of metal stuck to their faces still leaves me feeling a bit high to this day. Highest recommend.

CRUCIBLE OF TERROR – Really good seventies Brit horror which is a bit like a coastal giallo until its crazy plunge into the supernatural at the end. Unlikely lad James Bolam is a groovy gallerist who visits the retreat of his drunken pal’s mad artist dad. Nothing heavy or sleazy, just a few tame murders and a parade of weird characters and strange moments, but lots of good atmosphere and eccentricity.

FRANKY AND HIS PALS – I would say that this stillborn ‘horror comedy’ has to be seen to be believed, but, having seen it, I can’t quite bring myself to believe it. Shot on video in 1990, it follows a bunch of classic movie monsters – Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Wolfman, The Mummy, Quasimodo – as they wander around a hotel looking for ‘the secret gold’. That’s literally all that happens, apart from odd asides such as the one where the quintet judges a bikini beauty competition and performs (really badly) as a band. I would attempt to communicate how excruciating all this is, but my literary wherewithal is not equal to that task. Instead I will simply note that Dracula looks and sounds a bit like internet guru / f*ckwit Jordan Peterson, Wolfman comes out in a subplot that is too scrambled to decode as either liberating or deeply homophobic, no-one minds being groped by the middle aged dude who looks like he owns a car show-room and it all ends with everyone happily going back in time. That last option might appeal to viewers wanting more than just their money back, but somehow I can see myself watching it again.

THE BLACK CAT – This Luigi Cozzi film is amazing. It’s a sort-of riff on Argento’s ‘The Three Mothers’ cycle, but really it’s just loads of freaky imagery set in a big posh house and comes complete with Bava-lighting overkill, gut shower explosions, random shots of deep space and just a really massive quota of nonsense. I won’t go into details because I’ve reviewed it on the Labs before, back when it was only really available as a cruddy bootleg or a knackered tape. I was never expecting it to land on Blu-Ray, but here it is courtesy of Severin, and wonderful it looks too. Surely a pinnacle of endgame Italian horror back in the late eighties.
Old 11th November 2020, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tremors. 1990.

Natives to a small Nevada isolated town come under attack by subterranean creatures.

Tremors is basically a landlocked variation on 'Jaws' and those 1950s giant bug movies: the isolated town of Perfection, Nevada (population 16), finds itself under seige by four monstrous, subterranean wormlike creatures that hunt by vibration.

Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward play the handymen turned unlikely heroes with some humour and team up with a sizemology student trying to figure out where these creatures came from. Sometimes movies like this end up having some stupid people doing daft thing and release them from hibernation or opening Pandora's Box but the characters react believably to the horror. Michael Gross and Reba McIntyre play the armed couple who seem to live on the outbreak of war but face a different war.

Given it's premise it isn't as gory as it sounds, maybe one or two close up kills but we do get to see the insides of the Graboids either by explosion or breaking through a rock wall to, It's amazing how this didn't have much going for it when it was first released and now it's a classic.

tremors-cover.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!