Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2020, 11:29 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMGUxNTljMzUtNjA1Zi00YTE3LTlmMWMtNzlmNjEyM2Q1NWMxL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@.jpg

Professor Wanley and his friends meet nightly for some drinks in a high class club and this particular night Wanley stays on alone for one last drink and a read before an early start in the morning. On his way out of the club he stops to look at the painting of a beautiful woman in the shop window next door that he always admires. This night must be his lucky night when the model from the painting shows up beside him and invites him home for a drink and to show him a few more sketches from the artist that painted her. Everything is going swimmingly until a man shows up and attacks the professor in a jealous rage. Fearing for him life Wanley kills the man and they hatch a plan to cover up the crime.

Film Noir with all the usual tropes of blackmail double crossing beautiful women smoking and drinking but thats not to say its a bad thing. The story is interesting and keeps moving at a decent pace so much so that it was over before i knew what had hit me. Edward G Robinson is great as Professor Wanley and Joan Bennet as Alice Reed they really play well off each other. As with all Noir films there is a twist but this is not the type of twist i was expecting it was a real surprise. You really have to expect the unexpected here and always be careful what you wish for in life cause sometime it may happen and bite you in the ass

7/10
Old 26th November 2020, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran

Roman Holiday (1953)

I hated the thought of Joe selling his story to the press! I'm not sure why I've never seen this film before but it's instantly become one of my favourites.

Side note, does 'movie geography' ever throw you when you're watching a film set somewhere you've been? Like I know that Trevi Fountain isn't just down the street from the Spanish Steps... ha yes I'm a weirdo

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th November 2020, 11:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Roman Holiday (1953)

I hated the thought of Joe selling his story to the press! I'm not sure why I've never seen this film before but it's instantly become one of my favourites.

Side note, does 'movie geography' ever throw you when you're watching a film set somewhere you've been? Like I know that Trevi Fountain isn't just down the street from the Spanish Steps... ha yes I'm a weirdo
I walked between the two the two times i was in Rome because you can visit the Long Boat Fountain (i think that's what it's called) and Shelley's House, on the way. Took about 30-60 minutes at night.

Same with the Colosseum, Forum and Circus Maximus - an easy walk between them all.

Although i expect Peck and Hepburn made it seem as though the Trevi was at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Not seen it for a few years.

For me Bava's The Girl Who Knew Too Much is the ultimate Spanish Steps movie.

I totally love Rome.
Old 26th November 2020, 11:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fascination. 1979.

A crook on the run with a bag of gold takes refuge in a house, is entertained by two chambermaids who hide a dark secret.

Being a fan of Jean Rollin's imaginary work like most of us on here, this seems to move at a snails pace yet it isn't boring and very entertaining and perfectly shot. The acting Brigitte Lahale and Franca Mai is haunting yet well done as the two chambermaids that seem to enjoy playing games with thief Jean-Marie Lemaire.

Inevitably, the film has all the trademarks of Rollin's style and, by extension, the whole "Euro-Cult" vibe lethargic pace, an effective score and –it goes without saying naked women which the girl on girl part does seems a bit longer than I remember from the last time I watched it, I'm not complaining though). The film is beautifully shot that almost makes it like you are watching someone's dream of meeting two women to becoming a bad nightmare.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fascination_1979_poster_blahaie.jpg (17.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 26th November 2020, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I walked between the two the two times i was in Rome because you can visit the Long Boat Fountain (i think that's what it's called) and Shelley's House, on the way. Took about 30-60 minutes at night.

Same with the Colosseum, Forum and Circus Maximus - an easy walk between them all.

Although i expect Peck and Hepburn made it seem as though the Trevi was at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Not seen it for a few years.

For me Bava's The Girl Who Knew Too Much is the ultimate Spanish Steps movie.

I totally love Rome.
She goes for her haircut in a barbers at Trevi Fountain and walks up a side street at the end of which was the steps

Bava is the same for me, I couldn't wait to visit the steps after I'd seen that film and I loved being there I didn't 'love' Rome when I went three years ago, but watching Roman Holiday makes me want to give it another go especially after the scene on the boat near Castel Sant'Angelo I loved it around there near Vatican City.

Old 26th November 2020, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
She goes for her haircut in a barbers at Trevi Fountain and walks up a side street at the end of which was the steps

Bava is the same for me, I couldn't wait to visit the steps after I'd seen that film and I loved being there I didn't 'love' Rome when I went three years ago, but watching Roman Holiday makes me want to give it another go especially after the scene on the boat near Castel Sant'Angelo I loved it around there near Vatican City.
I too like it around Vatican City. Italy gave me an appreciation of art and sculpture. Although it's gone a bit now.

The catacombs were also excellent to visit.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 26th November 2020, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Nude Vampire. 1970.

A young man tries to track down a girl who her family believe she is a vampire.

The story line is very strange and bizarre, it is about a bunch of scientist who want to examine the secret of immortality, and a pretty girl who is immortal as long as supplied with blood. This is not to say that the film has no genuine qualities, it is decently shot with some nice outdoor scenery especially along a pebbled beach area and clifftops, with Rollin movies there is some nudity but only side glances. Not to say I didn't enjoy it but maybe a second viewing of this will peak my interest a bit more and appreciative of the film.

MV5BYWY5ZTIyOTItZWRlNi00ZmJhLWFhMzEtODFhY2JmOTY4NWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg
Old 26th November 2020, 01:46 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Nude Vampire. 1970.

A young man tries to track down a girl who her family believe she is a vampire.

The story line is very strange and bizarre, it is about a bunch of scientist who want to examine the secret of immortality, and a pretty girl who is immortal as long as supplied with blood. This is not to say that the film has no genuine qualities, it is decently shot with some nice outdoor scenery especially along a pebbled beach area and clifftops, with Rollin movies there is some nudity but only side glances. Not to say I didn't enjoy it but maybe a second viewing of this will peak my interest a bit more and appreciative of the film.

Attachment 229662
I love this one, it's one of my fav Rollin films along with The Iron Rose and Lips of Blood

Old 26th November 2020, 02:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Looking Glass (2018)

Nic Cage and Robin Tunney buy a motel in a back water town in order to rebuild their lives. They aren't there long when Cage discovers a crawlspace with a one way mirror looking into the motel's end room where he watches fat boy shagging, lesbo-nymphomania* and eventually murder.

And then...well pretty much that's about it until the last ten minutes. Buffy's Marc Blucas shows up half way through as the town sheriff and anyone who saw his Riley character in that series will know what to expect from him, but yeah not an awful lot happens. Looking Glass was watchable enough and promised much but delivered very little.

*Phrases such as this are commonplace when you frequently inhabit a shady night time world of Jess Franco movies and Blackie Lawless lyrics.
Old 26th November 2020, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Daughter of Dracula (aka Dracula's Daughter). 1972.

A body washes up on a beach, a inspector and a reporter focus their attention to a castle, a young girl visits the castle to see her dying mother and is tiold of a family curse.

Britt Nichols plays the young girl Luisa who is called to the home of her dying mother who finally reveals the family secret. The secret that she has been hiding from her daughter is that they are a family a vampires. Soon Luisa is bitten by Count Karlstein (Howard Vernon) and before long more bodies begin to pile up.

This seemed to have very little plot and I did find it hard to follow it at times but did have it's usual nudity show and good background score which Franco knew how to pick the right theme to go with the movie. The pace of the film seems to go up and down, it seems to go interesting then slow and boring and then back to interesting.

52347.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!