Old 30th October 2017, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The death of Stalin
I saw this last Thursday and completely agree with your assessment. It works as a funny satire because the stakes were so high. In The Thick of It and Veep, the comedy often comes from situations in which someone might screw up and be yelled at by their boss or ridiculed in the media (or both). In the case of the Central Committee struggling to come to terms with the idea that 'Comrade' Stalin might be dead and what to do next, it's not a question of being chewed out by Malcom Tucker, but being executed and your family sent to a Siberian gulag.

This is where the uncomfortable comedy involving the titular event comes from because no one seems to want to say with any certainty "Stalin is dead" because if they are wrong, then they will be executed; being terrified of a corpse is both hilarious and horrific.

The all-star cast are superb and I've heard great things about Simon Russell Beale's stage work and he is possibly the star of the show here as the grotesque Lavrentiy Beria, the head of the NKVD, the Soviet Union's secret police. There are other great performances from Michael Palin, Steve Buscemi and Jason Isaacs, all of whom are funny and terrifying.

There was no point when I felt this downplayed the worst excesses of Stalin's murderous regime, indeed is most effective when the comedy drops out altogether and you have a room of an apologetic and sociopathic killers, each of whom is deadly afraid of the others.

It is a real shame it has not had a wider cinematic distribution as it's something I would really like to see again, and may do next week.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Found (2012)

55/100
Was this the cut version, b_e?

I remember Frankie saying the UK release was cut.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Was this the cut version, b_e?

I remember Frankie saying the UK release was cut.
Yes, it was the UK version so was cut. According to the BBFC this was the cut that was required: "A cut was required to remove sight of a murderer's erect penis, during a scene of sadistic sexualised violence and threat. Cut required in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Video Recordings Act 1984."

Maybe just me but it didn't impact my viewing in any way!
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes, it was the UK version so was cut. According to the BBFC this was the cut that was required: "A cut was required to remove sight of a murderer's erect penis, during a scene of sadistic sexualised violence and threat. Cut required in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Video Recordings Act 1984."

Maybe just me but it didn't impact my viewing in any way!
Is that all it's cut for?

You only gave it 55 / 100 so it's not one i'll bother with.
Old 30th October 2017, 08:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
You only gave it 55 / 100 so it's not one i'll bother with.
And this is the exact reason why I stopped bothering to post my scores.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
And this is the exact reason why I stopped bothering to post my scores.
I don't understand.

It's only the same as you reviewing it and saying it was an average film.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I don't understand.

It's only the same as you reviewing it and saying it was an average film.
Words are often open to interpretation whilst a score can appear to be a lot more blatant.

I'd hate for someone to miss out on a film that they might really enjoy based on one of my scores (which in itself may be deemed low).
Old 30th October 2017, 09:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Words are often open to interpretation whilst a score can appear to be a lot more blatant.

I'd hate for someone to miss out on a film that they might really enjoy based on one of my scores (which in itself may be deemed low).
The same can be said for any personal opinion though.

Sure words are more open to interpretation. What i may consider a bad thing about a film - jump scare for example - may well be up someone else's street, but on the other side of the coin, there's so much out there, be it new films, classics we haven't seen or DTV fodder such as Found that we all appreciate another members viewpoint.

Besides just saying we watched a film, nice picture or not, doesn't help those of us who like checking out new things and find comments on here from trusted members invaluable.

In all honesty we all make up our own minds anyway but others thoughts do help. I recall MTDS gave the Lovelace biopic a real hammering but i still bought it because i like Amanda Seyfreid as an actress. Okay i haven't watched it yet but i still bought it.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

THREADS 1984

*spoiler ahead*

March 1984, two family's The Kemp's and The Becketts, enjoying the Peaceful life in Sheffeild, Ruth Beckett and Jimmy Kemp are two young people in love, share news with their family's unaware bigger things are happening which eacalates to a full Nuclear War.

I saw this movie a few years back, and it kinda freaked me out, after posting a pic of it on here in guess the movie forum i decided to re watch it.

The film is split into two parts, the happy life, the news of pending war, how people take to the news and perperations. The second part is Survival, cannabilsm, famine and birth of children after the fallout.

Threads does really get to you, it is very unsettling and disturbing even at 33 years old, this film is more scarier than any horror. Alot of films from the 80s are very cheesey and poor acting, not in this film, it is like watching how people would cope and survive a apocalyptic world.

This is one of these films that once you start to watch you cant move your eyes from the screen and at the end you are still thinking of this film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!