Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

XTRO 2+3
TERRORVISION Love this movie!
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Going rough a load of commentaries & making of's lately, Arrow's Psycho 2 is pretty definative, great commentary & interviews, features on Robert Bloch & the discussion with Tom Holland and Mick Garris is very interesting.
Currently watcjing the Amityville commentary with Hans Holzer, erm very opinionated, so take it with a pinch of salt if you know any of the "facts" concerning the real Amityville case. Lots of quiet moments so you kind of get engrossed in the film midway through, but worth a listen.
After that I think Island of Lost Souls extras & old Dark House commentsry.

Really want to go through the extras on all the Bava titles but probably need a week off work! Lol!
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:32 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
After that I think Island of Lost Souls extras & old Dark House commentary.
The Old Dark House has a cracking commentary. Do you mean the Network release?
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Old Dark House has a cracking commentary. Do you mean the Network release?
Yep, think it's Newman & Jones, they are always entertaining & know a disturbing amount about movies lol!
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yep, think it's Newman & Jones, they are always entertaining & know a disturbing amount about movies lol!
Nice one.

In my opinion they are the best chat duo about for info and entertainment.
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DEATH SHIP – Surprised I'd never seen this one before – when I was a kid, I mentally linked it with 'Das Boot' for some reason, and that really put me off, as I'm no Mark Corrigan when it comes to my viewing habits as I'm sure you're all aware. My loss back then became my gain yesterday afternoon, 'cos 'Death Ship', well, I wouldn't call it 'great', but it is a fine example of old early eighties creakiness and is actually a delight in places. Cranky George Kennedy is a pissed off cruise liner captain about to pass on the mantle to his second in command when disaster strikes in the form of a big menacing ship full of Nazi ghosts (or something like that). Cruiser gets rammed by said Nazi battle ship, protags escape in a boat in a hilarious “hours later, after all that crisis at sea stuff happened off screen cos we didn't have the $ to film it” scene, climb aboard Nazi death liner and so begins what's basically a novelty 'haunted house' type scenario. 'Death Ship', like so many of its ilk, does drag a little in places, but it also features a lot of what made its era great – bursts of ominous electronics on soundtrack, a smattering of prosthetic corpses and mouldy faces, sudden lurches into showboating effects-based non-sequiturs like that random shower of blood, slo-mo bits, acidy flashbacks / forwards / sideways, basically the whole grindhouse bag of tricks. It's pretty dumb, but, whilst the hokeyness sets it on a certain level, it does manage to work up some creepy atmosphere by virtue of its derelict location, which is all rusty machinery and dark, oppressive corridors. The camerawork is pretty good, whilst directing, acting, editing etc etc are either set to 'bland' or 'hysterical'. The whole is greater and more charming than the skronky parts. All in all, senseless fun to fill the void while your frontal lobes are taking a nap.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DEATH SHIP – Surprised I'd never seen this one before – when I was a kid, I mentally linked it with 'Das Boot' for some reason, and that really put me off, as I'm no Mark Corrigan when it comes to my viewing habits as I'm sure you're all aware. My loss back then became my gain yesterday afternoon, 'cos 'Death Ship', well, I wouldn't call it 'great', but it is a fine example of old early eighties creakiness and is actually a delight in places. Cranky George Kennedy is a pissed off cruise liner captain about to pass on the mantle to his second in command when disaster strikes in the form of a big menacing ship full of Nazi ghosts (or something like that). Cruiser gets rammed by said Nazi battle ship, protags escape in a boat in a hilarious “hours later, after all that crisis at sea stuff happened off screen cos we didn't have the $ to film it” scene, climb aboard Nazi death liner and so begins what's basically a novelty 'haunted house' type scenario. 'Death Ship', like so many of its ilk, does drag a little in places, but it also features a lot of what made its era great – bursts of ominous electronics on soundtrack, a smattering of prosthetic corpses and mouldy faces, sudden lurches into showboating effects-based non-sequiturs like that random shower of blood, slo-mo bits, acidy flashbacks / forwards / sideways, basically the whole grindhouse bag of tricks. It's pretty dumb, but, whilst the hokeyness sets it on a certain level, it does manage to work up some creepy atmosphere by virtue of its derelict location, which is all rusty machinery and dark, oppressive corridors. The camerawork is pretty good, whilst directing, acting, editing etc etc are either set to 'bland' or 'hysterical'. The whole is greater and more charming than the skronky parts. All in all, senseless fun to fill the void while your frontal lobes are taking a nap.
Of all the ghostly ship movies i think Death Ship is the best. It's a genre i like, lord knows why as most of them are clunkers.

The 2002 film never betters it's opening sequence, the Lewton film is basically a captain gone mad film rather than anything ghostly and Vernon Sewell's 1952 film isn't exactly chilling but it's okay.

The Fog isn't really a ghost ship film as such, neither is The Ghost Galleon. or Virus.

Below (2002) is quite decent, although it's submarine set rather than a ship.

I have noticed new takes on the genre in the good old world of DTV shite but i'm too chicken to check them out.
Old 22nd September 2017, 01:56 PM
Ex-member

Tomorrow Never Comes (1978)

Finally got to see this uncut ( as uncut as possible anyway) Oliver Reed,Stephen McHattie and Susan George star in this British/Canadian drama/thriller.

The plot is about

Stephen McHattie oming back from an extended business trip, Frank discovers that his girlfriend Janie is now working at a new resort hotel where the owner has given her a permanent place to stay, as well as other gifts, in exchange for her affections. In the course of fighting over this development, tensions between Frank and Janie escalate out of control until he is holding her hostage in a standoff with the police. As the negotiators try to talk Frank into giving himself up, the desperate man feels himself being pushed further and further into a corner.

I have seen it quite a few times but only in a tv version that is up until last night.

I say uncut as possible as this screening on London Live last night had the bad language and violence intact (apart from the 10mins into the movie where some atrocious overdubbing substitutions "who the F**k are you" became "Who the hell are you" etc.) the strangest thing with this movie when released on video and DVD back then (can not vouch if a Blu Ray exists or not ) it contained a TV version only where ALL the bad language/violence was toned down to the point that you can see the awful redubbing.

I would like to know if all the newer DVDs/Blu Rays still contain the old TV print and not the newer one?

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 22nd September 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 22nd September 2017, 04:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Also finally watched The Transfiguration, another one of those "next big thing" horror movies that have had lots of great reviews (think The Void, Don't Breathe, Get Out, Babadook, It Follows, The Witch etc-I'll let others decide what lived up to the hype & what didn't).

Young Milo, an orphaned boy in New York is obsessed with vampire movies and mythology, forms a romance/friendship with Sophie, lots of angst and silences follow as his interests suggest a darker side to his personality.

It is literally "Let The Right One In meets Martin" (there is even a quote to thar effect on the back), I was hooked for about 30 mins, found it difficult to see the middle 40 (seriously, this film's interior shots are DARK), then the last 20 are ok. It is ponderous but well meaning, and you will need to be in the right mood to sit through the whole thing, the acting is amazing from the young leads and it has moments of emotional involvement, however, it is very quiet, almost documentary-like in it's approach.
Old 22nd September 2017, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Their H3 comm is very good also.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!