All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2021, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hummingbird (2013)

Jason Statham in one of his serious roles stars in this drama from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight.

Statham plays an alcoholic war veteran on the run from the authorities after going AWOL. Haunted by his war crimes he befriends a Polish nun who helps the homeless from a mission in Covent Garden. Straightening himself out he ends up working for Chinese criminals whilst going after a business man who murders prostitutes.

Hummingbird isn't the easiest of watches, it's extremely gritty and some of the depictions of London's seedy underground quite harrowing. On the whole though it's a nice change of pace for Statham and he gives a strong performance in a movie which is a far cry from his usual Fast and Furious / Transporter type roles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 915c4ce36872992b760635b5a26ce7af.jpg (89.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th April 2021, 11:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The McPherson Tape. 1989.

A family celebrating a young girl's 5th birthday is recorded by camera, soon they begin to record something else, alien arrivals.

At 63 minutes this film felt longer, the dialogue was a bit daft in places like the actors were thinking up what to say and how to say it on the spot, the alien spaceship looked like it was made from cardboard boxes that made it seem like it should have been on a bonfire and very predictable alien costumes. This is better on for background noise or to really pass one boring hour.

download.jpg
Old 13th April 2021, 03:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dante's Peak. 1997.

A vulcanologist arrives at the small town of Dante's Peak after readings were taken that their dormant volcano maybe ready to erupt.

I first saw this when it was released and totally enjoyed it with the special effects and acting, returned to the film earlier and the special effects still hold up with the old school effects without CGI that would definitely spoil the film even though there is one or two flaws. Pierce Brosnan plays the volcano expert who thinks the town is in danger and persuades Linda Hamilton to alert the town and is stone walled by his boss and we all know what happens next, for me this is like a homage to the 70s disaster movies that were thrilling to watch.

p19015_p_v10_ah.jpg
Old 13th April 2021, 04:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

99 Women (1969)

Tamer than usual Women in Prison film from Jess Franco and producer Harry Alan Towers, but what it lacks in sexy shenanigans it more than makes up for with the eye candy on offer in Maria Schell, Maria Rohm, Rosalba Neri and Luciana Paluzzi.

Whatever you do don't leave the menu screen on either before or after watching. The song that plays on a constant loop - The Day i was born, by Barbara McNair - will drive you f*cking insane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99-Women-b-movie-basement-32040340-1673-2560.jpg (93.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th April 2021, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've got the naughty version of that one D, the inserts are hilarious tbh
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2021, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Curse-of-the-Mummys-tomb-The-gorgon.jpg
THE GORGON (1964)
THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964)

Another very enjoyable original double bill of Hammer films.
*The Gorgon herself looks really creepy in the long shots and in the shadows. Forget the rubber snakes, the face is pure monster!
*I always grit my teeth a bit when the Mummy treads down on George Pastell's head. I can really feel that crunch!
Old 13th April 2021, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House Of The Witch. 2017.

A group of teens venture to a empty house with the intentions of pulling a prank, they soon realise the house is haunted.

This had the premise of being a decent film, good plot and somewhat decent effects but the script and acting wasn't the greatest, people splitting up exploring the house and wonder why they can't find anyone. Stating the obvious about calling for help, no service on their phone yet someone still screams about calling for help. The make up effects were a bit decent and one or two good death scenes but that's all this film has to go for, even 3/4 through it Angie was able to predict the end. not one i would recommend.

house-of-the-witch-netflix.jpg
Old 13th April 2021, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A woman is betrayed by her fiance whom turns the village on her, believing she is dead they continuing there lives. But she is rescued by a black magic user who teaches her magic too seek revenge on the vilalge. Enjoyable with some good gore , does get a little boring when the love interest/priest turns up.

A creepy and atmospheric masterpiece, a group of people are trapped on a small island because of a plague these include a general Pherides played by Boris Karloff, who gives a fantastic performance. Watched this on Shudder which has the rest of Val Lewtons movies But they are only on the American site which has so much more than the UK. The film also stars young Alan Napier and Jason Robbards.

Now watchng.

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th April 2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 13th April 2021, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Magic has me intrigued Treb it's one of those films that has me of thinking to watch it then by pass and end up watching something else but after your view will give it a try, hope you enjoy Outcast.
Old 13th April 2021, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Black Magic has me intrigued Treb it's one of those films that has me of thinking to watch it then by pass and end up watching something else but after your view will give it a try, hope you enjoy Outcast.
Black magic was ok but something I would not to back too. Will watch the remake in a few days.

Enjoyed outcast but as you said it's hard too see who the good guy is as they doesn't seem to be one and times it seems more like a drama about life on council estate.

edit

its queen of black magic, fixed video now.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th April 2021 at 08:57 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!