Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

re.form 15th August 2010 12:07 AM

The Friday the 13th remake wasn't actually a remake of Friday the 13th. It was actually a remake of the Texas Chainsaw Masacre remake which was directed by the same music promo hack. It's nearly the same film, they just swopped the masks. Terrible.

I actually dont like the original F13th too much myself. I think the sequels (upto part 4) are better. As the franchise progressed I think the films got better upto this point.

mercury 15th August 2010 01:11 PM

I liked the original but it is for me separate from the rest of the series. The remake I too think is more like the Texas chainsaw Massacre. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad I've seen it, so I know never to watch it again:)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th August 2010 01:27 PM

I also feel that the original Friday the 13th film is different from the first few sequels -- I quite like the second in the franchise, before Jason found the hockey mask -- but absolutely hated the remake as it felt like the director went through went through the films, picking the best kills and shoehorning them into a badly written screenplay.

I can't stand the recent spate of remakes from Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes company, loathed the utterly abysmal Texas Chain Saw Massacre updating and even the two recent Halloween films. I've yet to see the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street but will do, with rock bottom expectations as the original was a masterpiece of 1980s horror.

pedromonkey 15th August 2010 04:23 PM

watched The Gauntlet for the first time last night, cracking film inf you ask me...

re.form 15th August 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 97251)
I also feel that the original Friday the 13th film is different from the first few sequels -- I quite like the second in the franchise, before Jason found the hockey mask -- but absolutely hated the remake as it felt like the director went through went through the films, picking the best kills and shoehorning them into a badly written screenplay.

I can't stand the recent spate of remakes from Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes company, loathed the utterly abysmal Texas Chain Saw Massacre updating and even the two recent Halloween films. I've yet to see the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street but will do, with rock bottom expectations as the original was a masterpiece of 1980s horror.

Yeah the Platinum Dunes ones are so cynical. The Amytiville Horror isn't worth mentioning.

One recent remake that I actually had a good time watching was the My Bloody Valentine one. That was pretty fun and alot better than the others mentioned.

pedromonkey 15th August 2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 97290)
Yeah the Platinum Dunes ones are so cynical. The Amytiville Horror isn't worth mentioning.

One recent remake that I actually had a good time watching was the My Bloody Valentine one. That was pretty fun and alot better than the others mentioned.

Oh totally, i really enjoyed the MBV remake, there are some good remakes such as Dawn, The Crazies, Last House and the amityville remake wasn't all bad..

GeneralVinyard 15th August 2010 07:45 PM

Just watched Brainscan yesterday, not seen it in years , but when I was about 14/15 I seen it a fair few times.
Cheesy yes but I do love it :)

Tonight me and the missus watching Afterlife Bluray, thoughts to follow....!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th August 2010 10:05 PM

I've just finished a quadruple header of:
Bloody Sunday, Paul's Greengrass' brilliant docudrama about the infamous shooting of unarmed civilians by British soldiers in 1972
Open Your Eyes, Alejandro Amenábar's fascinating thriller/mystery that was remade as Vanilla Sky
7 Days which was quite interesting as a debate on the whole vengeance/justice debate and wasn't quite as gory or gruesome as I was expecting
The Final which is basically Revenge of the Nerds but with sadistic violence!

pedromonkey 15th August 2010 10:19 PM

just finished watching a spanish film called Paintball, it was pretty cool, it was basically a variation on Most Dangerous Game with a bit Severance thrown in. Some of the shots were awesome as they were long single takes, the kills were shown through thermal vision goggles which gave the film a unique twist, a bit like predator. it was great fun defo worth a look.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th August 2010 10:58 PM

"The Body Beneath"

Blimey, this Andy Milligan film shot in London looks like it has a budget beyond the normal £2, say perhaps £2.50. The plot involves a family of vampires looking to stop the blood line dying out by kidnapping non vampire members of the family for a breeding programme. Pretty hokey stuff. However amongst all the over acting, under acting and what can only be described as acting in the void, it has a charm all of its own. The last 20 minutes are fantastic as the vampires gather together in the most outlandish costumes that years later would not seem out of place in a new romantic club. Of course, that's when you can see anything as the camera lens is so heavily smeared with Vaseline during these scenes, it's hard to tell what the hell is going on.

At times Milligan graces the screen with some genuine images of gothic decay, such as the three green faced vampire women in red, green and blue dresses walking through graveyards and gardens in winter.

Out of the 4 Milligan films I've seen, this is by far the most viewer friendly and a good entrance point into this unique film makers' world.