Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2008, 01:04 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Not really horror, but I recently picked up the Pink Panther series. Laugh, if you must, but I really like this series.
Old 11th October 2008, 08:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Not really horror, but I recently picked up the Pink Panther series. Laugh, if you must, but I really like this series.
When I was in my teens all of Blake Edwards Panther films as well as S.O.B & 10 used to make me split my sides but now I just don't find them that funny anymore.Perhaps they were shown on tv far too much in the past.Even so the Steven Martin remake was not funny the first time around.I could only manage 10 minutes of it
Old 11th October 2008, 10:37 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I still find A Shot In The Dark to be tremendously funny. Return Of The Pink Panther has its moments too.

The Steve Martin version was absolutely dire.
Old 11th October 2008, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I've just ordered Crazies, Hatchet for the Honeymoon and Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, all ?2.99 in the play.com sale! I was also looking at The Collingswood Story at the same price but I've heard mixed reviews on this one - anyone seen it?
I ordered The Crazies and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things aswell, seem's they're both currently out of stock though Hopefully they'll get some more in soon. Anyone know how good they are for restocking their titles?
Old 11th October 2008, 11:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

****ing hopeless, Hal. I'm still waiting for Phantom of Death, I'm hoping it'll arrive before 2008 is out...

Regarding THE COLLINGSWOOD STORY, it's a modern classic in my opinion, here's my review:

Quote:
Anyone seen this one then? It's in the traditional of films like The Blair Witch Project and more specifically the watchable but not spectacular My Little Eye and it turned out to be very good indeed! The first 20 minutes were dreadful with just 2 people chatting away on webcam and no hint of anything supernatural or exciting looking to happen, but it soon picks up and becomes a really gripping, tense and highly enjoyable film from then on.

The key thing in films like this is to have a story that interests the viewer and as many may know on here I am very much interested in demons and other spooky goings on so for me I was either going to take an interest in the story being told or would laugh it off. Thankfully I liked it and found it quite unsettling.
Basically it's about a cult who were in the town where our main character lives but she's in danger as the house she lives in is possessed by a member of the cult who murdered his family. She's alone in the house and though she's warned about the history of the place curiosity eventually starts to get the best of her and she eventually goes to check out the attic to see if she can find any evidence of the cult, does she go all the way or can she be stopped by her boyfriend?

The direction was very good with a few unnerving touches like the quick flashes of imminent danger and the demon poster. The scene with the poster was interesting, it had just been announced that she was living in the house of the murders and they kept the camera on while she slept, I sat there all tense thinking "if I see a shadow come on screen I'm gonna wet myself!". As mentioned before it was very tense for the most part and really had me on the edge of my seat. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this film, it certainly surprised me so if you fancy something a bit different then you could do far worse than this.
It's worth 3 quid of anyone's money. A very pleasant surprise indeed.
Old 11th October 2008, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
****ing hopeless, Hal. I'm still waiting for Phantom of Death, I'm hoping it'll arrive before 2008 is out...
Might just cancel my orders then and get them off amazon instead, going for around the same price anyway from some marketplace sellers. Cheers Cloud.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

This week I picked up The Cottage and Zombies, Zombies, Zombies (AKA: Strippers VS Zombies from HMV and got the 2 Disc SE of The Descent and Captivity from Morrisons this morning. Only went to pick up some shopping but they were really cheap so couldn't resist, The Descent 2 Discer was only 3 quid.
Old 11th October 2008, 03:54 PM
Cultist

cloud, is the camerawork in The Collingswood Story like The Blair Witch Project's? If so then it's a no no for me. Not with my vertigo and balance problems!

I'm still waiting for my copy of Robocop: Collector's Edition or Director's Cut to come from PlayUSA. They're still awaiting for stock.

DVD (Film):

The Unseen (R0) - Code Red release
Police Academy - The Complete Collection (R2) - includes the awful Mission to Moscow

DVD (TV):

Minder - Specials (R2)
Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Season One (R2).
Old 11th October 2008, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This weeks buys include;
DRACULA (BADHAM/OLIVIER)
FINAL EXAM
SUSPIRIA BU 2 DISCER
WESTWORD MGM R1 FIRST RELEASE
THE AWAKENING
THE BIG BOSS
GAME OF DEATH
THE UNSEEN

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th October 2008, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
It's worth 3 quid of anyone's money. A very pleasant surprise indeed.
Cheers Cloud, I've added it to the order (in fact, it's the only one that's actually in stock!!). I remember reading an interesting article in The Darkside when this first came out but pretty much forgot about it until I saw it in the play.com sale. I'll let you know what I think.

Like this? Share it using the links below!