Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2022, 09:05 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Settled down to a good old British crime film last night. Robbery with Stanley Baker from director Peter Yates. Baker puts together a team of pros to attempt pulling off a train robbery.
Around the 30 minute mark I decided it would likely be a one watch before a destiny on the shelves of CEX. 45 minutes in it went off. Just so dull, I simply didn't care about anyone or whether they pulled off the job or not. For a film with a decent rep and plenty of talent involved it was rubbish.
Personally i really like Robbery.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th March 2022, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

I just didn't get on with it at all. Fortunately I can get a five quid voucher at CEX for it. Which is more than I think I paid.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 14th March 2022, 06:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I just didn't get on with it at all. Fortunately I can get a five quid voucher at CEX for it. Which is more than I think I paid.
Must admit i was surprised you didn't enjoy it.

I guess we can't like everything.
Old 14th March 2022, 07:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Must admit i was surprised you didn't enjoy it.

I guess we can't like everything.
If memory serves it was bought off the back of your recommendation so I was surprised how dull I found it

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 14th March 2022, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. 1968.

A year has passed since Dracula was defeated and sent to a watery grave, a Monsignor has traveled to Keinenberg to exorcise Castle Dracula with the local minister who accidentally resurrects Dracula and seeks revenge.

The third Dracula film to star Christopher Lee, and does have a small piece of dialogue and delivers it with a great menacing voice and creepy facial expressions with his red blood shocked eyes.

Rupert Davies plays the Monsignor who attempts to banish the evil away from the small village only for local minister Ewan Hooper to mess it up and become a servant of the count. Barry Andrews (who would go on to star in Blood On Satan's Claw) plays the young tavern worker and atheist, not the best thing to say to the Monsignor is roped in to take on Dracula with a little bit of help and knowledge and rescue his love interest Veronica Carlson (R.I.P).

It does start off well from a body being found in a church and why people by pass Sunday service then jumps to a year later. This has the hallmarks of Hammer from a great storyline, dark night atmosphere, brilliant cinematography even with a rooftop chase and a nice Gothic style back ground score and a great ending of everyone being able to find religion.

p4728_v_v8_aa.jpg
Old 14th March 2022, 08:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Black Water: Abyss (2020)

A group of twenty something pot holers are trapped in a cave by rising floodwaters only to find they are not alone. There's a large crocodile in the waters with them.

A film with some great moments of suspense and nail biting tension as well as some half decent characterisation, however at times i was wondering what exactly could be done with essentially five people sat on a single cave ledge with a croc swimming in the water below as we seemed to play out similar scenarios time after time, although the final ten minutes as the survivors reach the surface does bring a couple of shock surprises.

A major plus point was the fact that not once did the friends torches or head cams go out meaning thankfully that total darkness was never an issue here which was a relief.

As it is this Australian film definitely passed the time and i was never bored but i'm not sure i'd watch it again.
Old 14th March 2022, 11:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taste The Blood Of Dracula. 1970.

Three respectable Englishmen resurrect the Count with the help of a disciple, when his disciple is killed, Count Dracula seeks revenge.

I'm unsure how long after the events of the previous film this one is set, it does start where Taste The Blood Of Dracula finishes and we are introduced to a peddler named Weller played by Roy Kinnear who witnessed the demise of Dracula and gathers his cloak, clasp, ring and Blood.

Geoffrey Keen (James Bond franchise), Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine), and John Carson (Plague of Zombies and Captain Cronos) play the rich gentlemen who look for excitement and come across Lord Courtley played brilliantly by Ralph Bates (Fear in The Night) to perform a black mass and that's when all hell breaks loose.

Even though Roy Kinnear doesn't have a big part, he is able to deliver his dialogue with great fear explaining what Courtley wants and who it belongs to and what it may be used for. The church used does have the dark Gothic feel with great cinematography and moody light, even outside in the dark you can feel the gloomy atmosphere. Christopher Lee seems more frightening in this one than the previous films and good effects for when his blood meets fresh blood in a glass. May not be my favourite in the franchise due to the ending but still entertaining.

Taste_the_blood_of_dracula.jpg
Old 15th March 2022, 07:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead End City (1988, Peter Yuval)

In a time when society is crumbling, one man stands up against the tide in order to protect his heritage. Against Robert Z'Dar mainly
Teaming up with a sassy reporter, our man of the moment doesn't mince his words, just his opponents
To be fair, this is third tier central, the tropes and what have you are all in place, but the lead seems more suited to a soap (Colbys????) than the rough and tumble of this genre. For all that, I enjoyed this one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th March 2022, 04:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. 1968.

A year has passed since Dracula was defeated and sent to a watery grave, a Monsignor has traveled to Keinenberg to exorcise Castle Dracula with the local minister who accidentally resurrects Dracula and seeks revenge.

The third Dracula film to star Christopher Lee, and does have a small piece of dialogue and delivers it with a great menacing voice and creepy facial expressions with his red blood shocked eyes.

Rupert Davies plays the Monsignor who attempts to banish the evil away from the small village only for local minister Ewan Hooper to mess it up and become a servant of the count. Barry Andrews (who would go on to star in Blood On Satan's Claw) plays the young tavern worker and atheist, not the best thing to say to the Monsignor is roped in to take on Dracula with a little bit of help and knowledge and rescue his love interest Veronica Carlson (R.I.P).

It does start off well from a body being found in a church and why people by pass Sunday service then jumps to a year later. This has the hallmarks of Hammer from a great storyline, dark night atmosphere, brilliant cinematography even with a rooftop chase and a nice Gothic style back ground score and a great ending of everyone being able to find religion.

Attachment 239445
One of my favourite Hammer Dracula’s
Old 15th March 2022, 04:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

In the latest Empire magazine former Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi talks about his love of Hammer Films.

"I would have liked Dracula A.D.1972 (on my wall as a poster) which is my favourite. It's so misjudged in so many ways. It's so brilliant. They try to evoke 70's glam culture in a Tommy Steele kinda way. However it must be said that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do the business. When i left Doctor Who, Mark Gatiss bought me the film soundtrack on vinyl"

And that was all it took to make me watch a classic Hammer film again. A film i only watched back in October, because like Peter, i love Dracula A.D. 1972.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Draculaad1972.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!