Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2010, 09:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched Magnum Force before work today and totally enjoyed it. Not as Good as Dirty Harry but with David Soul as one of the villains, it was cool. Good direction by Ted Post that almost rivals Don Siegel's DH direction and it's compensated by a great Lalo Schifrin score....gonna watch The Enforcer tonight...
Old 15th September 2010, 12:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Watched Jaguar Lives on Monday night and thought it was classic. Great seeing so many Bond villians in one film as well as the legend that is John Hutson. The interview with Joe Lewis was great and I felt I learned a lot about acting!

Last night I watched a Japanese animated flick, not sure if it was a Manga film or not called Killer Unicorns from Hell. Very corny film about a group of robotic unicorns created for the army to be used in WW3. The chips in the unicorns heads get fried and they go on a mass killing spree around Tokyo. Really cheesy film, probably best to avoid. I wanted to switch it off, but as it was my wife's bday and she is well into this crap was forced to keep watching. Felt like the girl in Opera!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 15th September 2010, 02:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hey, darthelvis. I'm a huge fan of Japanese animation. Sorry you didn't seem to enjoy it yourself. Personally I've seen almost everything available in the UK and even imported a few. Killer Unicorns From Hell sounds interesting and has slipped right under my radar. Is it a Manga or an Anime? You can normally tell by the style of the characters. You wouldn't happen to know if there is an English dub on it or is there just a subtitled version. The English dub may have some well known actor doing an unexpected voice over. (Which is always fun.) Any details would be appreciated.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 15th September 2010, 03:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Hey, darthelvis. I'm a huge fan of Japanese animation. Sorry you didn't seem to enjoy it yourself. Personally I've seen almost everything available in the UK and even imported a few. Killer Unicorns From Hell sounds interesting and has slipped right under my radar. Is it a Manga or an Anime? You can normally tell by the style of the characters. You wouldn't happen to know if there is an English dub on it or is there just a subtitled version. The English dub may have some well known actor doing an unexpected voice over. (Which is always fun.) Any details would be appreciated.
I'm fairly useless with Japanese animation, all I've really seen and enjoyed is Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Legend of the Overfiend. It was a subtitled film and looked closer in style to Manga stuff than the likes of Studio Ghibli stuff I've seen. My wife got it from a Japanese friend of hers. The only scene in the movie I enjoyed involved soldiers being impalled on the unicorns horn which was done really well.

Sorry can't be more help.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 15th September 2010, 06:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Went to see Resident Evil: Afterlife at the cinema last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, I've been a big fan of all the films to be honest and I know they're not perfect but I can't not like them. Despite their flaws. The main flaw of this film was a little too much slow motion camera work going on but overall it had some great use of 3D and it stuck true to the games more than the others (especially RE5), I guess Paul started to listen to the fans.

Anyone seen the new clip for Buried online? Looks goooooood and can't wait to see that at the cinema too. Not a nice way to die but if that was me I'd at least be buried in an awesome dragon engraved sarcophagus instead of a wooden box although knowing my luck the dragon would end up looking more like an emu

Dinners ready now, sauage and mash (yummy) and it's Kelly's choice of film tonight so we're sticking on Mary Poppins.

All together now..... "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th September 2010, 08:06 PM
Active Cultist

King of the Hill - nice little backwoods thriller from Spain.
Old 15th September 2010, 08:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Watched Murder Set Pieces again yesterday. Over the top violence, gore and nudity, well shot, creepy performance by the lead guy and some very tense scenes.Nice cameo's by Tony Todd, Gunnar Hanson and the Toetag crew.It's not a very popular movie but damn I love this.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A bit of catch up for me. And as always there's a bit of a mixed bag.......

Survival Of The Dead: Finally got around to this and I really didn't think much of it. I don't hate it. I just can't see me ever watching it again. The ending made me laugh out loud.

Lone Wolf And Baby Cart - White Heaven In Hell: The final film in the classic series is one of the weakest but still has some great moments. The Samurai on skis towards the end is something to behold. The white of the snow is perfect for the blood splashes.

Bronson: Slightly eccentric and darkly comic biopic of the notorious prison inmate Charles Bronson who has spent 34 years in prison, 28 of which have been in solitary confinement due to his extremely violent behaviour towards the guards. There is no doubting that this is a performance movie with Tom Hardy milking every moment for what he can get out of it. The problem is that when you get past that epic performance the film is just not that interesting.

Chedder Sleaze: Extremely low budget sex comedy with very few laughs about a man who can only get arroused when cheese is used in some way during sex. I think this played a few of the festivals this year but has not been seen much outside them. After seeing this I'm really not that surprised.

Dogtooth: I'm still trying to work out if I enjoyed this one or not. Another for the truley weird pile. Parents control the lives of their three children to the point of cruelty in an attempt to protect them from the outside world.

Jackis Chan's First Strike: An attempt almost to put Jackie into a James Bond style film. The sequences with the henchmen on skis in white with machine guns is so Bond. My favourite fight has to be the step ladder one. Pure JC class.

Throw Momma From The Train: I had not seen this for a few years and it still holds up well with plenty of good funny moments throughout. Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito have rarely been better but it is Anne Ramsey who easily steals the show as Momma with the performance of a lifetime. Makes me want to watch Hitchcock's Strangers On A Train again soon.

Mad Max 2: Road Warrior:This just about pips the first film as my favourite of the original Mad Max trilogy. When you think of all those high speed stunts and the fact that this was without CGI you can really appreciate the dedication that went in to this. I'm really not holding out high hopes for the new one. Still.... it may surprise me.

Double Vision: Taiwanese thriller with a supernatural twist that has an FBI agent (Played by the always dependable David Morse) sent to Taipai to assist Tony Leung Ka Fai in a serial killer case only to find something more sinister at hand. You can see that this film was intended for an international release by its overall quality and look. The story itself is far from perfcet and just a little cliche heavy but it does contain some rather disturbing images that will keep the gorehounds happy and it does remain engaging throughout it's almost 2 hour running time.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 16th September 2010, 08:11 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

watched this last night,

Unrated- the latest instalment from Andreas Schnass, with help from Timo Rose.

in a genre that's never going to produce Oscar winning acting performances , this one hits new lows. it also has the return of Karl the Butcher from Violent Shit series and has plenty of gore has it's only redeeming feature.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:18 AM
Active Cultist

Traces of death 4

Like this? Share it using the links below!