Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2022, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A sharkless Roy Scheider plays a police helicopter pilot who gets unwittingly involved in a conspiracy involving super attack chopper blue thunder.

We have Daniel Stern as his co pilot and Malcolm McDowell as the bad guy. Enjoyable with some good action scenes but at times it feels like a tv movie.

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st November 2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 1st November 2022, 08:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Top Gun: Maverick. Former top gun Maverick is called back to service to try and train a bunch of fighter pilots to pull off a seemingly impossible - and almost certainly suicidal - mission. This has basically been the biggest movie of the year by a long way, though I've never even sat through the original (just never looked like my cup of tea) so wasn't moved to go to the cinema for it (rented it on YT last night). Is it the greatest movie ever? Well, no. And I wouldn't say it really lived up to the borderline insane hype around it. That said, it's still pretty good. It's very watchable, Cruise is as good as you'd expect, and it's basically a good old fashioned solid slice of movie making and crowd-pleasing entertainment, the kind Hollywood used to be able to churn out in its sleep but now seems largely incapable of producing, which is no doubt the main reason for this film's rapturous reception by a thoroughly bored modern audience. A good film, though its massive success is down less to the quality of the movie and more of an indictment of the dreary modern movie scene.
Old 3rd November 2022, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wasn't that keen on this the first couple of times I watched , but the more I seen it the more I've appreciated it, it's not on par with superman 1&2 it's better than most of the others and it really shows the power of superman but I don't think superman knows the meaning of the words collateral damage, the death toll must be in the thousands in this film. Think the Cavill effect is also a factor in this film any thing is more enjoyable with his top off.

I film with so many classic lines and scenes and one I will never get old and always seem too find something new each time I watch it. A classic .

Now watching

Followed by.

Old 3rd November 2022, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Breezy (1973)

Clint Eastwood directs this romantic drama in which William Holden plays a middle aged wealthy man who almost literally bumps into a young derelict as played by Kay Lenz, who over the course of the film transforms the older man's jaded outlook on life as his infatuation grows stronger.

I really enjoyed this. It's set in the Laurel Canyon area of Los Angeles and the story is as off beat as the area itself which brought us it's own world of folk music counter culture at the time as it was home to the likes of Joni Mitchell, The Mama's and the Papa's, Neil Young, Frank Zappa and more.

Eastwood's direction is subtle and assured (It was his third directorial effort following 1971's Play Misty for Me and the 73's High Plains Drifter) and is about as far from those films as you can get. Both Holden and Lenz are excellent and nicely convincing. I was enjoying the movie so much with fifteen minutes to go i said aloud to myself. "Please have a happy ending".

Does it? Well watch it and find out.

Characters from this film feature in Paul Thomas Anderson's equally good Licorice Pizza (2021) with Sean Penn playing Holden's role.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breezyfilmposter.jpg (17.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran

The Guest (2014)

How is it 2022 and it's the first time I've seen The Guest? How did it pass me by for so long. When the Second Sight 4k was released a few months ago I quickly went to CEX to buy a bluray copy for £1.50. A great decision I feel because I bloody loved this. An 80s action thriller made with modern techniques and equipment, a great cast, a nice retro synth soundtrack a bit of blood and violence and a seriously unhinged Dan Stevens! Will watch again, recommended if I'm not the last person to have already seen this haha...

Also, I could have watched this last week, it being set at Halloween...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd November 2022, 09:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Guest (2014)

How is it 2022 and it's the first time I've seen The Guest? How did it pass me by for so long. When the Second Sight 4k was released a few months ago I quickly went to CEX to buy a bluray copy for £1.50. A great decision I feel because I bloody loved this. An 80s action thriller made with modern techniques and equipment, a great cast, a nice retro synth soundtrack a bit of blood and violence and a seriously unhinged Dan Stevens! Will watch again, recommended if I'm not the last person to have already seen this haha...

Also, I could have watched this last week, it being set at Halloween...

I loved The Guest. Got the dvd when it came out, watched it twice within days but not seen it since. It was a real about turn from Stevens who i'd seen just prior to seeing this as Matthew Crawley, Lady Mary's husband in Downton. He was excellent in both by the way.
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Doomed

A group of convicted prisoners are put on an island for a Reality TV show but end up being hunted by virus riddled Soldiers. Sometimes I find cheap DVD's and or Blu-Rays in CEX and find some hidden gems and whilst this isn't rubbish, it was just meh, may watch it again, who knows.

Miss Congeniality

Sandra Bullock is a Tomboy F.B.I Agent who has to go undercover as a Miss U.S.A Contestant in order to stop a bombing. I really enjoyed this, Bullock is funny as is Michael Caine who plays a Pageant Consultant. This is definitely an easy watch and a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Good Guys Wear Black

Chuck Norris's big American Film breakthrough sees him as a former Special Forces Leader who tries to find out who and why his former team is being murdered. Whilst not the greatest Film in the world, I still found it decent, doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed And Fabulous

Sandra Bullock is back as Gracie Hart and she is now the public face of the F.B.I and develops a bit of an ego but she investigates whilst Miss U.S.A and William Shatner have been kidnapped. It tries to replicate the original but doesn't reach the same heights.

All Hallows Eve

The debut of Art The Clown sees him as a recurring character in a series of Short Films on a Video Tape during Halloween. Hit and miss but you definitely see the potential of Art The Clown as a main character and there was some nice gore scenes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (12.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mc.jpg (10.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ggwb.jpg (13.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mc2aaf.jpg (8.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ahe.jpg (11.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I loved The Guest. Got the dvd when it came out, watched it twice within days but not seen it since. It was a real about turn from Stevens who i'd seen just prior to seeing this as Matthew Crawley, Lady Mary's husband in Downton. He was excellent in both by the way.
I've still never watched Downton and I know I'd like it, will do one day Just so much to watch!

Old 3rd November 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran

I want to watch Miss Congeniality now haha, as Monica said to Chandler, "Babe, if you know it through a wall, you know it too well." Although she was referring to the second film
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 3rd November 2022, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've still never watched Downton and I know I'd like it, will do one day Just so much to watch!
I totally flew through it both times i've watched it.

Can't wait for Christmas Eve when i plan to watch the new film.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!