Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2022, 06:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Abomination (1986, Max Raven)

A man is driven to a dark place when a creature latches onto him as a source of ready meals tbh.
16mm madness this time!
Makes Things look wholesome
A real doozy this time, if only the opening montage didn't give it all away, so there is that ahem. Grotty to the nth degree, this one could do with a polish cough AGFA cough ... well, they put out Ninja Zombie cough ...
Ahem. A film.

Anything For Jackson
(2020, Justin G. Dyck)

Yup. Another recommendation. This time, we enter the world of two grieving grandparents with a special wish to fulfil .... and then some. A bit more fun this time as the central performances were reasonably engaging. Certain elements may cause hilarity though, and they always seem to flounder a wee bit in the middle, these modern films
An oddity.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th July 2022, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Assignment Terror. 1970.

Aliens arrive on Earth to conquer it, bringing with them two dead scientists to re-animate various monsters, the Werewolf, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy and Count Dracula.

Any film written by Paul Naschy is one we love to hate but we never seem to hate them, sadly due to funds we only get to hear the mention of a Golem but we never see it, to include that in this film would have been something to see but we can only imagine it.There is a good fight at the end, all I could think of was someone shouting "Lets get Ready To Rumble" Think this will be going on the guilty pleasure list, not great but not terrible either.

Assignment-Terror-1970-movie-8.jpg
Old 24th July 2022, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I liked it and would watch a double bill of AT and The Satan Bug methinks ....
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th July 2022, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

RED (2010)

Retired: Extremely Dangerous. I love this film, seen it countless times since it's release over a decade ago.

A superb cast - Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban, Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox, Richard Dreyfuss, Ernest Borgnine - complement a witty script and great action set pieces.

But Goddammit! Why oh why do i always forget it's set at Christmas? There's decorations everywhere and i never, ever remember. I'd have saved this new to me Blu-ray watch until December.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red_ver8_xlg.jpg (93.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th July 2022, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Severance. 2006.

A group of sales representatives are hunted down in a remote cabin during a team building weekend.

This film combines humour and horror and done neatly and nothing seems to go over the top, yeah it does have it's gore moments and kills which can bring a laugh even when one of the group is decapitated. Each of the actors bring their character out as if they were actually office employees and how they are outside their working environment. There might be moments that can make you squeamish especially with a member of the group who doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Attachment 241251
This one is a hoot, (Even though it's not funny in real life) I thought that The Boss that was harping on about Terrorists, finally gets to use his latest weapon, misses who he was aiming for and sees whatever the weapon shot out go into the air just as there was a passing Aeroplane quite funny as he realized that he's just shot down a Plane.
Old 24th July 2022, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Gummo. 1997.

Something of a narrative, fourth wall mocumentary movie, this is very low budget that can have a shaky camera moments so those with motion sickness be advised. The film centers around a dystopian town hit by a tornado, two young boys go cat hunting with their air rifles (cat lovers be aware) Three young girls try and fulfill their lives by coming of age. Two Jehovah Witness brothers find a different religion. Writer and director Harmony Korine practically made a film with little to no plot and why someone goes about with bunny ears is never really explained and the actors do their best with it even though it does feel like everyone was part of inbreeding.

A film along with Trash Humpers I was recommended to watch, I wanted to hate this film but at the same time I found it to be likeable.

Attachment 241297
I remember that somewhere between 93-97, EIV released some controversial Movies, this one Bad Boy Bubby and Boxing Helena.
Old 24th July 2022, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fever Pitch

Colin Firth is a Arsenal mad Teacher who falls in love with no-fan Ruth Gemmell. Obviously they don't see eye to eye originally but eventually get together. All this during the Season where Arsenal won the League by beating Liverpool away on the final game. Mark Strong co-stars. I really enjoyed this, so entertaining.

The American remake which came out years later which was called The Perfect Catch was equally entertaining. It stars Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore and it follows a Baseball mad Teacher.

Hell High

A group of High School Teens cause trouble and play a prank on a Teacher (Who happens to be a Killer) Think that this Film tried to cover many clichés in it's short running time like Stalking, Assault that kind of thing and whilst it isn't the worst Film in the world, I put stock into how much I paid for a film and unfortunately as I paid full price, it didn't quite reach my expectations for it but don't get me wrong, when it goes down in a Sale, then it's worth a pick-up.

SPOILER:
I did think that there would be a twist at the end, something possibly involving her friend or The Coach.

There were some really corny lines and it contained one of my Pet Peeves when it comes to an American Film release, the title in The Credits wasn't the Title on the Cover (It wasn't Raging Fury either)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fever-pitch-31923l.jpg (63.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg hh.jpg (11.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th July 2022, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I agree regarding The Perfect Catch, nicholas. Really enjoyed it both times i saw it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2022, 01:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Evil Dead. 1981.

5 friends travel to a cabin in the woods and unleash a demonic force.

"We're Gonna Get you" i'm gonna be thinking of that phrase all night, no matter how many times I watch this, it's still a classic, it's amazing how a low budget movie can still bring joy to us.

Evil_Dead-1981-MSS-VHS-poster-4-xl.jpg
Old 25th July 2022, 03:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Predator. 2018.

When a young boy activates a predator's mask, a predator hunter arrives and a small crew of ex soldiers and a scientist try to stop the fight and a secret government agency want the predator for experimentation.

First time I watched this and never really enjoyed it but this time round I did, It may not be the best in the franchise but it's a lot better to sit through than AVP: Requim. Some well and truly over the top CGI effects and really shouldn't laugh at Thomas Jane's character trying to hold on to his tourettes and people covering up for what he is saying. There is a few plot holes that aren't really quite explained but is this due to scene being cut for running time or bad editing??

The-Predator-2018-poster.jpg

Have a great Monday peeps

Like this? Share it using the links below!