Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179689Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2022, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Poughkeepsie Tapes. 2007.

Detectives in New York find video tapes of a serial killer's work and their hunt for a missing woman that may be the killer's latest victim.

This didn't seem to have the hype that it is claimed to be, ok parts of it were a bit uncomfortable to watch with the three young girls that does play on the imagination of what is the killer going to do with them. It is a found flick and mocumentary with a forensic profiler describing what makes a person tick to a class of horrified students, at the same time the acting is decent enough and a actress able to act out the classic "Stockholm Syndrome". It is one of these films that once you have seen it, that's it.

EXzA5PQWoAAD5UB.jpg
Old 22nd July 2022, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House Of Terror. 1973.

A nurse is hired to care for a mean old rich woman, the nurse and her boyfriend decide to kill her and get her money. When the woman turns up dead, the nurse begins to suspect she may not be dead and is tormenting her.

I had some good high hopes for this film but it went one way then another way to the point I was loosing interest in it. Guessing Omar Sharif wasn't interested in this and they got a look a like who can't even act, Jacquelyn Hyde must have sensed this was bad and decided her acting in this should be even worse, even though the poster makes it look good, this one you can skip past.

tQJE6lXlKzoKKamErDAhFheVDJV.jpg
Old 22nd July 2022, 03:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Severance. 2006.

A group of sales representatives are hunted down in a remote cabin during a team building weekend.

This film combines humour and horror and done neatly and nothing seems to go over the top, yeah it does have it's gore moments and kills which can bring a laugh even when one of the group is decapitated. Each of the actors bring their character out as if they were actually office employees and how they are outside their working environment. There might be moments that can make you squeamish especially with a member of the group who doesn't have a leg to stand on.

51GJ6bBYa8L._AC_.jpg
Old 22nd July 2022, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Benny's Video. 1992.

Video enthusiast 14 year old Benny decides to make his own video that has tragic results for him and his parents.

A cold hard icy look at a adolescent 14 year film enthusiast who is left alone by his workaholic parents and decides to make his own "snuff" movie that leads to killings. Parts of it seems to be like a documentary and voyeuristic and sadistic trend to violence with the slaughter of a pig and a young girl that can be upsetting to some.

Arno Frisch plays the young Benny and portrays the character well that makes it fell like we are seeing the making of a serial killer with no remorse. Angela Winkler and Ulrich Muhe play the parents who seem lost and no idea what to do with Benny and how to feel after seeing his home made movie.

12020_1_front.jpg
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A classic 50s sci-fi about a astronomy who believes a meteorite that crashed is in fact a spacecraft everyone thinks he's nuts until people start behaving strangely .

Two classic universal monster pictures though both great always preferred Frankenstein as found Lugosi acting here a little hammy also think the Spanish version to be superior.

Now watching

Followed by

Old 22nd July 2022, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eight Legged Freaks. 2002.

Venomous spiders are exposed to a toxic that makes them grow and attack a small Arizona town.

A salute to the 1950s B movies with more up to date special effects and David Arquette screaming like Kevin McCarthy in Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. Who's idea was it to have the spiders scream out cos that was just F@:king hysterical and genius to do that. One of the early 2000s movies that I still come back to every so often.

eight-legged-freaks.jpg
Old 22nd July 2022, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Seventh Curse (1986, Lam Ngai-Choi)

A tale as old as time.
When a doctor and a reporter are forced to team up to fight that evil, a rollicking good time is had by all. When I say that this film is a prime example of HK cinema at the peak of its creativity ... the demon ain't lying
I look forward to this BD and dug out me old dvd. It does look a bit trimmed nowadays, so hoping restoration is total ahem.
Still just as flippin' bonkers as it ever was

You may have seen one of his other films ... The Story Of Ricky
So strap in/on

Recommended!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Seventh Curse (1986, Lam Ngai-Choi)

A tale as old as time.
When a doctor and a reporter are forced to team up to fight that evil, a rollicking good time is had by all. When I say that this film is a prime example of HK cinema at the peak of its creativity ... the demon ain't lying
I look forward to this BD and dug out me old dvd. It does look a bit trimmed nowadays, so hoping restoration is total ahem.
Still just as flippin' bonkers as it ever was

You may have seen one of his other films ... The Story Of Ricky
So strap in/on

Recommended!!!

Another classic film, done this one with Mr Vampire and Spooky Encounters back in the early 90s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg did-you-say-strap-in-or-strap-on.jpg (44.5 KB, 31 views)
Demoncrat, nicholasrope and iank like this.
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Con Air (1997)

"Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Probably my favourite action film from the 90's.
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No Way Out. 1987.

When a politician to the United States Government accidentally kills his mistress, a cover up happens within the Pentagon. Navy Officer Tom Farrell is assigned the case while trying to keep quiet he had a affair with the deceased woman and a witch hunt ensues when it comes out there is also a Russian mole in the Pentagon.

Nice little gem from the 90s with Kevin Costner as the young navy officer having a fling with Sean Young while she is sleeping with Secretary Of Defense Gene Hackman who tries to cover up the death while Costner tries to cover up he slept with her and she has a photo of him before he is implicated for her murder. This had a good character build up from the start then becomes fast paced tense thriller with a good twist in the end.

p10239_p_v12_ak.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!