Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2011, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

So over the last few weeks I've been trying really hard to 'get into' Dario Argento's movies, which have alluded me over the years.

On numerous occasions I've tried and failed to watch Suspiria, but finally managed to watch it in it's entirety recently, ditto Deep Red.

Buoyed by these breakthroughs I've also managed to watch Inferno, Tenebre and Opera, but it's come to light that I'm just not that big a fan of his work overall.

With the exception of Tenebre, which I loved from beginning to end, I can't help but find myself being hypercritical of the Italian auteur. I'm not sure if my contrary switch flicks on whenever I hear his name mentioned, but his films just don't grab me in the way that they seem to do for other folks.
Perhaps I've simply come to him too late in life, and there's denying he's got an equal amount of baggage that has dogged his career of late.

But I digress, here are my thoughts on the Argento flicks I watched recently:

Suspiria - there's no denying the dream-like qualities of the lighting and use of colours even further heightened by Goblin's chattering and mantra-like score, but Jessica Harper's doll-like performance made the movie drag for me and the finale felt a bit too much like 'oh shit, we need to finish this somehow.' Good, but not great.

Deep Red (director's cut) - I enjoyed this a lot more and the whole affair was enlivened by Daria Nicolodi and David Hemming's performances, which were cleverly comical yet hard to read; distanced perhaps? Goblin's score was solid (I know it's a lot peep's fave), but the section I enjoyed most was the Tubular Bellsesque guitar riffs when Hemmings enters the gorgeous art noveau mansion. There was a lot more attention to plot and the denouement was gripping was suitably chilling.

Inferno - really, really, really disliked. Apart from The Card Player this is the worst Argento that I've seen. Performances so wooden they'd make a forest jealous. An absolute disregard for plot and yet another ending that felt like it was stuck on with blu tac. Emerson's bombastic score was laughable. There are some stunning moments of beauty though (underwater and the labyrinthine corridors - aided by Bava I guess), but I can't forgive a whole film for a few moments of visual flair. I don't buy the 'watch it as a dream' excuse. Bunuel does that, yet still manages to conjure up some metaphors and meaning, this is just the work of a poor director who was very ill and obviously struggling.

Tenebre - completely the other end of the Argento spectrum for me. It's openess, bright/light colours, great acting, sleek and modern aesthetic (the architecture, cars, clothes) and bravura camerwork, and not to forget the incredible electronic score make this the best Argento by a long way. Absolutely loved every element of it.

Opera is probably my second favourite Argento although some of the performances are stilted and the film is about 15 mins too long (very silly ending); the steadicam work, opulent opera sets and some very prescient special effects (inside of a gun firing) and bloody deaths, oh and a great central performance made it a really enjoyable watch. I even liked the juxtaposition of the metal and classical music, obvious, but it worked.

I'm still waiting for Phenomena to arrive in the post, but my hopes aren't too high as I'm not a fan of Jennifer Connelly.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 14th September 2011, 12:50 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Each to their own Phurios
I'm a big fan of Argento esp. as he's my fave horror director
though TRAUMA, CARD PLAYER and GIALLO are not among his best
my fave is TENEBRE, got all his films and waiting to see DRACULA
I like MOTHER OF TEARS and know a lot of people don't lik ethe film - I do as it was trademark return to his gory films, of which he became really famous as well as the excellent giallo BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE et al

You don't have to force yourself to watch his films!
If you like some and dislike others, then great!
Old 14th September 2011, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Each to their own Phurios
I'm a big fan of Argento esp. as he's my fave horror director
though TRAUMA, CARD PLAYER and GIALLO are not among his best
my fave is TENEBRE, got all his films and waiting to see DRACULA
I like MOTHER OF TEARS and know a lot of people don't lik ethe film - I do as it was trademark return to his gory films, of which he became really famous as well as the excellent giallo BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE et al

You don't have to force yourself to watch his films!
If you like some and dislike others, then great!
Whoops! I forgot to say that I really love Bird With The Crystal Plumage - a great stylish giallo indeed.

I've heard a lot of (generally negative) stuff about Mother Of Tears, but I'm intrigued especially after meeting Christian Solimeno at Frightfest who said it was a riot working with Argento.

Yeh, I don't feel forced to watch them at all. I love watching anything, but have always felt some kind of inner shame that I don't like Argento as much as other people, but saying that though, with my recent enjoyment of Tenebre and Opera there's hope for me yet

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 14th September 2011, 01:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
I've heard a lot of (generally negative) stuff about Mother Of Tears, but I'm intrigued especially after meeting Christian Solimeno at Frightfest who said it was a riot working with Argento.
Mother of Tears rocks.

Easily Dario's best film since Opera.
Gojirosan and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Mother of Tears rocks.

As a huge admirer of The Stendhal Syndrome I don't think it's his best since Opera, but it is a fine film. I suspect time will improve its reputation considerably.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

just seen Children of the Corn Genesis

this was pretty bad. was kinda like children of the voodoo instead of corn as the kid was telekinetic and there was voodoo dolls about

there is another COTC movie being made but after the last 2 I seen I dont know if I will bother.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 15th September 2011, 10:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Just saw my dvd of the restored NORTH BY NORTHWEST, OMFG what a great movie(my fave Hitchcock at the mo) considering this is in a 2 for £5 deal in 'The Works' no better way to spend £2.50, fantastic to see Eva Marie Saint being so slutty as the good girl/bad girl role. Just over 2 hours of beautiful restored Hitchcock, you even get a 39min making of doc and a isolated score, this is a 10/5 i.e. it's 100% better than you remember, and if you've never seen it... what are you doing still reading this...coat/door/shop/till, job done.

PS. I would genuinely like to hear anyone post that they don't like it, and their reasons.
damek and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching Deep Red, for the first time in years and it's still as good now as when I first saw it, not my favourite Argento film(that priviledge goes to Suspiria), but still in my top 5. I started watching Love Goddess of the Cannibals but had to turn it off after about 25 minutes because I was bored out of my skull so I've put on my BD of Texas Chainsaw to watch the extras.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th September 2011, 11:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Mother of Tears rocks.

?? hmmm.

anyway...watched The Exterminator, this BD should look lovely still a horrible little film, a lean mean vigilante machine....

Children of the Damned sequel to the original Village, some nice touches here, and Alan Badel's urbane performance really livened this up for me....
Dont Look in the Basement...hmmm was it the most searing indictment of american mental health care since Titticut Follies or a sly dig at liberal policies? regardless this still holds up in my book, i can see why this was banned
Old 15th September 2011, 11:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Silent House
A feature length horror set piece, with a needless ‘one take’ gimmick as the main selling point. While I thought the technique actually detracted from the tension in parts, it scared me more than anything I saw at Fright Fest (that’s not saying much though!). As a simple ghost train ride it works fine, and it had me squirming like a frightened child towards the end (superb scares with a camera flash!). But not a lot else to recommend besides the BOO! factor – might be a decent pick for Halloween viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!