Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I watched My Darling Clementine this afternoon, which is a great Western and up there with John Ford's best -- Henry Fonda is terrific as Wyatt Earp.
I have that excellent film in steel book format from the Fox Cinema Reserve collection.

A two disc set which includes a commentary and an alternate version of the film.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes at the cinema today & you know what? I bloody enjoyed it!

I thought it had quite an intelligent storyline, very much grounded in reality making the whole concept a lot more plausable. The CGI was great & the characterisation of the apes was brilliant (take a bow Mr Serkis).

Even the sentimental parts of the film with Caesar growing up help to re-enforce the empathy you feel for him & his plight.

As a big fan of the Ape franchise (bar the Tim Burton abortion!) this is a welcome addition for me. Recommended.

You make it easy.
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:20 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched many a film today, well had on the background while A-Z'ing the dvds...

Road House: AWESOME-ness on a stick, Swayze as Dalton, Sam Elliot being all kinds of bad ass, Ben Gazzara being an absolute dick and Kelly Lynch's Boobs all make for an entertaining slice of 80s fun, Great Soundtrack Too...

Singing In The Rain: Love this flick, I can watch any ****ed up horror movie and still once in a while watch a film that is an absolute treat. Gene Kelly's Choreography is Jaw Dropping, Jean Hagen as Lena Lamont is a hoot, Donald O'Conner's Make 'em Laugh number is cracking and Debbie Reynolds is cute as Cathy. Very funny film.

SCRE4M: After the abysmal My Soul To Take, Wes Craven is sort of back on form with this Kevin Williamson written Sequel. There's nothing new here, nothing added, cliche'd and the usual scream style killings. Quite gory for a 15 but like the previous three, it's enjoyable as a straight slice of Slasher action. Worth a look if you like the previous films.
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

Road House: AWESOME-ness on a stick, Swayze as Dalton, Sam Elliot being all kinds of bad ass, Ben Gazzara being an absolute dick and Kelly Lynch's Boobs all make for an entertaining slice of 80s fun, Great Soundtrack Too...

Singing In The Rain: Love this flick, I can watch any ****ed up horror movie and still once in a while watch a film that is an absolute treat. Gene Kelly's Choreography is Jaw Dropping, Jean Hagen as Lena Lamont is a hoot, Donald O'Conner's Make 'em Laugh number is cracking and Debbie Reynolds is cute as Cathy. Very funny film.

SCRE4M: After the abysmal My Soul To Take, Wes Craven is sort of back on form with this Kevin Williamson written Sequel. There's nothing new here, nothing added, cliche'd and the usual scream style killings. Quite gory for a 15 but like the previous three, it's enjoyable as a straight slice of Slasher action. Worth a look if you like the previous films.

disagree
it was terrible and not needed.
yes it was better then My Soul but come on, that dont take much
I hope it ends the scream sequels.
the whole first half was trying to be something different and then by the 2nd half it was back to generic scream formula which I would have preferred throughout the film.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:20 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I have that excellent film in steel book format from the Fox Cinema Reserve collection.

A two disc set which includes a commentary and an alternate version of the film.
Mine's the same except it's in an Amaray and the disc is dual sided. I'm going to watch it again at some point and check out the commentary.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post

disagree
it was terrible and not needed.
yes it was better then My Soul but come on, that dont take much
I hope it ends the scream sequels.
the whole first half was trying to be something different and then by the 2nd half it was back to generic scream formula which I would have preferred throughout the film.
i liked it because it was just that, another scream movie, it stuck with the same formula which worked previously, it aint gonna win any awards but it was fun.

Any ways just finished watching the extended Work print cut of Alien 3, with over 30 minutes of additional material, very good film when you think of the production troubles it had, Fincher's visuals are brilliant and the Blu-ray looks amazing.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

i just thought the first half was trying too hard to do something different.
it was better then scream 3 however. that also tried to be different with the whole movie within a movie. it just dont work, they shud stick it the tried and tested formula from the first 2 flicks.

plus the whole new "social" technology thing was very lame.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:35 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched "Trouble Every Day", kind of like watching Cronenberg in slow motion. Dull and lacking.
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

Singin' In The Rain is on of the greatest films ever made. A genuine masterpiece and one of Hollywood's pinnacle achievements. I love it. Gene Kelly is superb. Dammit, they are all superb! WHERE THE BLU-RAY AT?

Road House, though...nah...still don't see it!
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Singin' In The Rain is on of the greatest films ever made. A genuine masterpiece and one of Hollywood's pinnacle achievements. I love it. Gene Kelly is superb. Dammit, they are all superb! WHERE THE BLU-RAY AT?

Road House, though...nah...still don't see it!
I'm another one who loves Singin' in the Rain and it's been far too long since I saw it. It is one of the greatest musicals ever made and is up there with Mary Poppins and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut as my favourite in the genre.

That being said, whenever I think of the title song, Malcolm McDowell is always singing it!

I haven't seen Road House, but it is in my Lovefilm rental queue.

Like this? Share it using the links below!