Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179840Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2011, 11:10 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Watched Dead and Buried last night. Quite enjoyed this film. Found it a little creepy and for some reason it made me think of the Fog
I also watched Dead and Buried last night for the first time in years and I enjoyed it very much. I managed to pick the 2 Disc edition up for a couple of pounds a few weeks ago and finally got round to watching it. I viewed it with the commentary track featuring the director Gary Sherman and David Gregory from Blue Underground amd I must say that it revealed a great deal about the movie that I didn't know, like did you know that the film went through the hands of three differnet production companies during the making? Sherman also talks about some of his other movies such as the mighty Deathline and Vice Squad! Now I've only got another two commentaries on the disc to sit through.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Four Flies on Grey Velvet

As I’m only now starting to appreciate the early work of Argento, this didn’t carry any ‘lost classic’ anticipation for me. I did have a blast with it though, enjoyed it at least as much as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Deep Red still way out in front). The copy I watched sported atrocious sound/picture quality, but the skill and sense of the gleeful experimentation of the director easily shone through. Some top scare sequences, and I particularly enjoyed the batty motive given by the killer at the end! Can't wait to revisit this on a better quality release - C'mon Shameless, pull yer finger out!

Michael Brandon starred in something I worked on last year. At the time, I didn’t really know him from anything. Would’ve been cool to mention this to him and find out if he has any memories of working with Argento. I wonder if it’s something he’d rather forget – I came across David Hemmings’ autobiography in the library the other day, and looked up Deep Red in the index. The title gets a mention on 2 pages, and all he talks about is the cavalier attitude to sound recording in Italy!
bdc likes this.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Four Flies on Grey Velvet

As I’m only now starting to appreciate the early work of Argento, this didn’t carry any ‘lost classic’ anticipation for me. I did have a blast with it though, enjoyed it at least as much as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Deep Red still way out in front). The copy I watched sported atrocious sound/picture quality, but the skill and sense of the gleeful experimentation of the director easily shone through. Some top scare sequences, and I particularly enjoyed the batty motive given by the killer at the end! Can't wait to revisit this on a better quality release - C'mon Shameless, pull yer finger out!

Michael Brandon starred in something I worked on last year. At the time, I didn’t really know him from anything. Would’ve been cool to mention this to him and find out if he has any memories of working with Argento. I wonder if it’s something he’d rather forget – I came across David Hemmings’ autobiography in the library the other day, and looked up Deep Red in the index. The title gets a mention on 2 pages, and all he talks about is the cavalier attitude to sound recording in Italy!
I'm currently coming towards the end of my first viewing of Inferno, really enjoying it, although it makes no sense whatsoever, but hey that's Italians for you
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've just put on the BD of the Nightmare on Elm St remake that Lovefilm sent me this morning. I have a strong love for the original and have heard mixed reviews of this, I'll report back later with my views
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th September 2011, 02:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Competition

Well what can I say, I really enjoyed this!! I know a lot of people hated it but I thought it was a good film, the references to earlier Elm St films was well done, the acting was good and the use of CGI didn't spoil it for me. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was Freddies voice, at times he sounded like Christian Bale in Batman. Of course it's not as good as Wes Craven's masterpiece, but it's definitely a film I'll pick up on Blu Ray to add to my collection. 8/10
Old 6th September 2011, 02:15 PM
Cultist

[QUOTE=Nosferatu@Cult Labs;179221]Dead Snow is an excellent horror-comedy which references well and has some excellent SFX make-up and action sequences. I reviewed it ages ago so, if you have time for a read, feel free to see what I thought: Dead Snow Blu-ray.

Nice review
Much better then my little paragraph lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609156,-0.269079
Old 6th September 2011, 02:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm currently coming towards the end of my first viewing of Inferno, really enjoying it, although it makes no sense whatsoever, but hey that's Italians for you
hehe yeah, complete nonsense! I don't think the nightmare-logic works anywhere near as well as it did in Suspiria, but it still looks amazing and has some decent set pieces . . .
Old 6th September 2011, 04:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Terror In The Aisles (1984) (BLU RAY A,B & C)Watched this 'documentary' for the first time in years,included as an excellent extra on the new Halloween 2 (1981) Blu Ray.The good news is it's completely intact and contains snippets removed here by the BBFC from the DRESSED TO KILL,VICE SQUAD & MS45 clips for video (on the PALACE label).It is however the 'R' cut as I gather some clips were removed to avoid an 'X' rating originally.Still nice to have it though.
Old 6th September 2011, 04:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
Terror In The Aisles (1984) (BLU RAY A,B & C)Watched this 'documentary' for the first time in years,included as an excellent extra on the new Halloween 2 (1981) Blu Ray.The good news is it's completely intact and contains snippets removed here by the BBFC from the DRESSED TO KILL,VICE SQUAD & MS45 clips for video (on the PALACE label).It is however the 'R' cut as I gather some clips were removed to avoid an 'X' rating originally.Still nice to have it though.
That's just reminded me of a great documentary I watched about 20 years ago on Channel 4 called Fear in the dark, it was narrated by Christopher Lee and featured interviews with all the great directors/writers at the time. Does anyone else remember this or better still know where I can get a copy(Amazon.co.uk have a VHS copy but that's no use to me now)

Violence is Italian Art
Old 6th September 2011, 07:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

just seen kill list
i enjoyed it but the ending is random and does not go with the rest of the movie as the twist is more "horror" while the rest of the movie is a thriller type flick. not sure if i liked the end but nevertheless its a very good brit flick.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!