Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179847Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2011, 08:56 PM
Cultist in Training

just watched end of days featuring arnold shawrasneggerdjfjcfjd

not a fan of arnies but liked this film some cool effects and kill scenes and not a bad story. not sure if classed as horror or action though?
Old 17th October 2011, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Don’t go in the House
First pick from Thrower’s Nightmare USA, and it was a bloody good-un! While you could easily dismiss it as a Psycho knock-off (some shameless pillaging here!), it’s a very well executed knock-off, and a solid thriller in its own right. Holding it all together is Dan Grimaldi’s memorable central performance. Again, there is more than a touch of Norman Bates going on, but Grimaldi manages to put his own stamp on the introverted psycho killer. I particularly liked the sequence where Donny is easily manipulated by a shop assistant into buying an expensive new outfit for a night out. It’s both funny and heartbreaking, Grimaldi nailing the social ineptitude and awkwardness around ‘normal’ people. I also liked how none of his victims were reduced to the screaming bimbo type, all of them given some degree of characterisation and likability before their inevitable demise. And what a demise! The first fiery murder has a real gut wrenching kick, and is genuinely disturbing. Also impressively creepy are Donny’s hallucinations, his charred victims and rotting mother glimpsed moving around the old dark house. Shame about a completely unnecessary final scene, apart from that a great find.

Wake in Fright
Think this was a title I came across around these parts – another great recommendation! Went in knowing nothing about it, and expecting a straight Ozploitation horror of some sort. Loved the slow burn, class-divide tension, knowing something is going to go wrong but not knowing how it will manifest. The early scenes had an engaging oddball creepiness, with echoes of The Wicker Man and Straw Dogs. In the event it’s the protagonist who is the cause of his own predicament, spiralling into a feverish nightmare of booze binges and kangaroo killing! Great stuff, very well directed by Ted Kotcheff – I was thrilled to see some screenshots on dvdbeaver of the restored edition Blu Ray, which is vastly superior to the version I saw. Unfortunately, I can’t find it for any less than £30!
Great reviews. What's next from your reading of "Nightmare USA"?

My favourite finds from the book so far have been, "Death Bed:The Bed That Eats", "Scream Bloody Murder", "Headless Eyes", "Sex Wish", "Blood Freak" "The Centrefold Girls" and "The Child" off the top of my head.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Great reviews. What's next from your reading of "Nightmare USA"?

My favourite finds from the book so far have been, "Death Bed:The Bed That Eats", "Scream Bloody Murder", "Headless Eyes", "Sex Wish", "Blood Freak" "The Centrefold Girls" and "The Child" off the top of my head.
I know Phurious has seen Death Bed - sounds pretty nutty! I've ordered Messiah of Evil, so waiting on that. Other priority titles are Lets Scare Jessica to Death, The Child (good is it?) Blue Sunshine, Soul Survivor, Homebodies, Fight for Your Life - the list goes on.....
bdc likes this.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I know Phurious has seen Death Bed - sounds pretty nutty! I've ordered Messiah of Evil, so waiting on that. Other priority titles are Lets Scare Jessica to Death, The Child (good is it?) Blue Sunshine, Soul Survivor, Homebodies, Fight for Your Life - the list goes on.....
You are in for a treat with "Messiah of Evil" and "Lets Scare Jessica to Death" they should be regarded as highlights of the horror genre in my view.

"The Child" is very wonky and quite charming in it's own little way.

To pre-empt Vol 2 of "Nightmare USA", I highly recommend "Lemora:A Child's Tale of the Supernatural" if you've not already seen it.
mark meakin, bdc and Demoncrat like this.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:15 AM
Cult Addict

"The Raw Ones", An American nudist film from the mid 60s full of insightful facts regarding the social economic standing of nudists along with psychological profiling and quotes from philosophy. Still if you like ladies skipping, playing table tennis and generally jumping around, it could be for you otherwise it's bollocks and there are plenty of them too.

"Stryker" Mad Max in the Philippines with excessive use of dwarves! Not bad.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It's a shame that the director of Lets Scare Jessica.... (John Hancock)was replaced on Jaws 2 as the film could've been really interesting in his hands.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:50 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd never thought of going through Nightmare USA and watching all the films Steven Thrower mentions... until now!

I think it's time to go through my copy and make a list of all those I haven't seen then either rent them all hunt around for cheap DVDs.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd never thought of going through Nightmare USA and watching all the films Steven Thrower mentions... until now!
No way will I ever see ALL of the titles he mentions But I am going through it start to finish with my notepad and pen . . .
Old 18th October 2011, 10:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

forgot to say....Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles(1939) watched this with the comm, informative and absorbing. as these were always on during my childhood (it seemed anyhow) it amazed to see this again, a taut telling of the tale, prefered this to hammer's one (for personal reasons haha) even at the time...Optimum dbl bill with ....and the Voice of Terror(1942) which was the 1st of the Universal ones, id have prefered "....and the Secret Weapon" as it also has Mr Atwill chewing that scenery, but there you go....
Old 18th October 2011, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The Thing 2011, good stuff!

Like this? Share it using the links below!